Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So...Jeweler's workshops...  (Read 3974 times)

LionSilverWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrodinger's Kit
    • View Profile
    • LionWolf Studio
Re: So...Jeweler's workshops...
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 11:26:46 pm »

You can captured failed mood dwarves?!  How do you keep them alive, or is the capture just to prevent injury to others?  I'd like to keep an insane zoo if I could...

That's what insane asylums started off as!
Why is this covered in blood?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 11:28:25 pm »

Will they eat and drink?  I know that melancholy and stark raving mad won't, but will berzerk sustain themselves?  If my amazing armorsmith happens to fall ill, I may want to tie him down in the basement and take after him... like a pet...

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 11:38:04 pm »

I'm pretty sure if you build their cage they're treated pretty much the same as any other caged animal, i.e., other dwarves will feed them and look at them and throw parties at their cages. I think...
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 11:41:08 pm »

Wrong on the "feed them" part I believe.  I've had GCS-related incidents lead to dehydration deaths when a dwarf was caged.  Not sure if this is normal, but since it wasn't a justice-related cage I assume he was ignored.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 12:02:55 am »

eh, I'm not too sure on the details. I haven't been able to keep myself interested in the idea long enough to see it through.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 05:20:07 am »

I know if the cages are left in the animal stockpile food and drink are brought to them, and berserk dorfs will sustain themselves if someone brings them what's necessary.

I'm not sure about built cages as I never tried making a zoo for all my dorfs to party around their crazy friends with. I normally just keep them in a stockpile, all by themselves locked several Z levels away from everyone else to quietly rot until no one considers them a friend anymore so that I can dispose of them humanely in the next goblin raid.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 11:02:30 pm »

I always put my workshops in little 3x3 or 3x4 rooms with a single door too.  If the dwarf can't find what their strange mood calls for, I just forbid the door until they die.  Then I unlock it, the corpse bearers come running, and I go back to using the workshop for its intended purpose.

Now if only *goblins* would starve, instead of scaring my dwarves after being walled in...

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 01:42:25 am »

Berserk dwarves don't eat.

Once they go berserk, they don't follow a lot of the rules of dwarfdom. If you reclaim, for instance, dwaqves that were berserk when the fortress crumbled will be lying in wait for the reclamation party.

Even if they were originally in cages when the fortress fell.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 11:14:05 am »

Berserk dwarves will die of thirst.  I just had a dwarf go berserk and end up in a cage trap.  I put him on display in the dining room.  He eventually died of thirst because my embark site had no water for other dwarves to give him.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 [2]