Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What do you do with metal?  (Read 3565 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with metal?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 07:18:28 pm »

I think he/she meant crappy as in 'no use beyond the standard stuff'.
くコ:彡

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 07:21:31 pm »

Crafts and furniture. I'm not above making bins and barrels out of platinum and blue stuff. I've taken to requesting rose gold and various gems from traders and turning them into high quality crafts that I turn around and sell for several times the initial investment. You don't need many resources when you know how to trade smart.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 07:24:00 pm »

Build a modern apartment building. Steel structure, glass windows, metal furniture.

Put in marble tile over the steel floor, though, it's classy.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 01:06:09 am »

make traps
LOSING IS FUN!

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 01:29:22 am »

You could always use them to build a giant, hollow cat head to keep all of your furry menaces in. You could also keep cats there.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2011, 01:38:30 am »

And it's unlikely Toady will ever add electrolysis.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 01:54:33 am »

if you have galena, you should really consider building furnitures for they r basically useless, apart from being a good material for bins, for the sake of furture reclamation.

and silver. i use silver for blunt, and many furnitures for high end, non-noble rooms. with the metal resource being stretchy, silver and other less valuable precious metals are good for decoration.

i reserve aluminum for noble rooms and big halls. they suck in any other ways.....and making into crafts and selling them to caravan ends the posibility of recycling once for all.

in .19 ammo is kinda a problem, since i always value shooters over footmendwarves... crappy metals make terrible bolts, good steel are hard to get, even with iron ore and flux...digging down is a bane, getting coal before magma furnace is another...

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 07:33:35 am »

Metal? I listen to it.

On the other hand, play .19. This will solve you metal excess problem.

Alternatively, you could build a giant iron man who spits magma from his eyes an chest. Or you could do the ultimate trap course.
.19 solves your metal excess problems with metal shortage problems.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2011, 07:44:28 am »

Metal? I listen to it.

Alternatively, you could build a giant iron man who spits magma from his eyes an chest. Or you could do the ultimate trap course.
.20 solves your metal excess problems and metal shortage problems with
world-wide mineral availability parameter

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 12:45:01 pm »

Metal? I listen to it.

Not really. Just embark on a place with metal, as I did.

With two different biomes with tetrahedrite, one biome with hematite, and one with native copper, I'm swimming in metal.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 01:44:19 pm »

I made two entire towers out of checkered gold and obsidian to house my marksdwarf garrisons once. It was quite nice. 4 levels each, about 20x20 squares per level.

Nothing but the best for my half functional half retarded marksdwarves, after all.
Pages: 1 [2]