Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Marksdwarfs, Quivers and Ammo  (Read 11435 times)

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarfs, Quivers and Ammo
« on: February 28, 2011, 01:26:27 pm »

Heya,

Is there a trick to arming Marksdwarfs?  Most of my Marksdwarfs are walking around with empty quivers and refuse to pick up more ammo.

I have each unit of Marksdwarfs to  carry 100 bolts for training and 100 bolts for Combat.  I have tried disbanding the squads and re-creating them.  I have put the ammo and quiver stockpiles in there barracks.  Am I missing something?

-Dash27

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarfs, Quivers and Ammo
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 01:41:56 pm »

Preety sure its a bug with .19. Should be fixed next update.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 01:48:45 pm »

Marksdwarves work for me. It might be that hunters are claiming their bolts?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

kzel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 01:53:33 pm »

If you use squads of ten, you should assign 250 bolts per squad, since each marksdwarf will usually pick up to 25 pieces of ammo to fill his quiver.

With 100 bolts, there's only barely enough for 4, so that would explain why some are supplied while others are not.

Combat and Training separation doesn't work too well at the moment, don't rely on it or you'll soon discover your stack of steel bolts has been used in individual target practice.

Training is very slow on archery targets : 30xp in marksdwarf and archer skills per bolt. You'd need a couple hundred per dwarf to reach adequate. You'd be better off having them hunt for a while or train on some captured targets released behind fortifications.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 02:28:26 pm »

You'd be better off having them hunt for a while or train on some captured targets released behind fortifications.

There is never a downside to executing prisoners.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 02:32:49 pm »

Don't put ammo in stockpiles, they won't pick it up. Disable the ammo and it should help them grab it.

They love to grab any ol' ammo for training so kiss your steel bolts goodbye. If you have a lot of copper/silver around then making those bolts is a fine way to make sure you have at least mildly serviceable ammo for both training and combat.

If any of your marksdwarves are hunters they'll have major bugs with equipping themselves. If you want a trained hunter to be a marksdwarf, turn off his hunting labor for as long as he's in active military service.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:34:35 pm by plisskin »
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 07:47:20 pm »

Thanks for all the help!  I'll give your suggestions a try.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 09:30:56 pm »

Older versions also had problems with the arsenal dwarf being lazy. That caused much grief because of delays
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 10:19:15 pm »

I've had no problems with marksdwarves equipping ammo in .19. Never asked them to train though, "training" involves waiting for a woodland critter to spawn on my side of the river and sending a marksdwarf after it. He achieved legendary marksdwarf status in this way.

Subdane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 04:37:08 am »

My marksdwarves have stopped training again... Soldier cannot follow orders! I figured out that the problem is ammo...
Under my stocks menu i got 1303 ammo:
silver:105
copper: 82
pine:375
cedar:325
willow:100
larch:325
The rest are some leftovers etc.

In the military/ammo menu: I have 4 different settings (available bolts listed):
copper bolts (2)
Wood bolts (25 larch and 25 cedar)
Metal bolts (2 stacks of 25 silver bolts)
Bolts (4 stacks of 25 wood bolts)
There should be hell of of lot more ammo available....

They are set to carry 30 bolts at a time, I have 3 marksdwarves.
One full ammo stockpile and one stockpile which I have removed (The bolts are just laying on the floor) And a (CLT) workshop.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 04:46:42 am by Subdane »

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 04:56:12 am »

Ok i'm stumped.
Marksdwarf Urist McWon'ttrain

Currently equipped with a +yak bone crossbow+, quiver, waterskin, backpack, and full leather armour.
His quiver contains 25 bolts. Their are 5 archery ranges assigned to his squad. He's stood in the next room.
Their is a direct path to the ranges through a gap in the walls (i removed the door just in case).
I have the squad set to 5 training (as many targets as i have atm).
Soldier cannot follow orders.
As far as i can tell EVERY requirement for him to use the range is met, he just won't bloody do it!

*EDIT* Ok, in the end i built a weapon rack in the archery range room and designated it as the ranged squads barracks. Now all five are in their performing individual combat drills... but not using the targets o.0
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 05:00:10 am by phoenixuk »

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 04:58:25 am »

Don't put ammo in stockpiles, they won't pick it up.

I find it most convenient to set up an Ammo stockpile (with no Bins), let the haulers fill it, then remove the stockpile... leaving the ammo just lying on the floor. Makes it easy to see when I'm running short of Bolts.
Never pet a burning dog.

Subdane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 05:11:26 am »

When the new season began, they both went down to the archery targets and emptied their quivers, then went back to cannot follow orders....
I also noticed everytime my weaponsmith makes a stack of silver bolts they run down and fetch them, fires them off and then CFO.
They have a barracks (Armor stand) In a empty room with half the floor is removed ammo stockpile and the other half is still ammo stockpile. (only wood bolts in there)
I now have 3 different settings in military/ammo menu:
Copper bolts 30 (C)
Wood bolts 30 (T)
Metal bolts 30 (C)

They should be firing wood bolts for practice but they are using metal/silver bolts..... Could it be because that my Woodcrafter is grandmaster lvl 14 and is therefore making a lot of highgrade bolts, which the marksdwarves dont want to "waste" on practie? My weaponsmith is talented lvl 6 og doesnt make any masterpieces.. Gonna try make a new low lvl woodcrafter and see if they will use his bolts.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 05:16:42 am »

I now have 3 different settings in military/ammo menu:
Copper bolts 30 (C)
Wood bolts 30 (T)
Metal bolts 30 (C)

Are those numbers per-Dwarf or per-Squad?
Never pet a burning dog.

Subdane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 05:26:48 am »

Are those numbers per-Dwarf or per-Squad?
[/quote]

I dont know...Squad I would think. press m (military) f (ammunition) then I scroll down to the squad, move the cursor to the right where the 3 different types of bolts are.
(+/- increase amount) I have set it to 30.
Pages: [1] 2