Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Megabeast Offspring!  (Read 3019 times)

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Megabeast Offspring!
« on: February 28, 2011, 09:02:25 pm »

After several hundred small world generations, I have finally gotten megabeasts with offspring. A pair of Rocs took up residence in the same cave, and after 311 years, there is a baby Roc, wreaking havoc in the countryside.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you want to check it out yourself, I uploaded the save.

How many of you have managed to get megabeast offspring?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:40:25 am by Caldfir »
where is up?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Megabeast Offspring!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 09:20:26 pm »

Interesting. In theory, if all megabeasts (or at least all Roc's) shack up together before reproducing, then it should be possible to use Legends mode to find megabeasts who are likely to have eggs in their caves.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:14:52 pm »

Interesting. In theory, if all megabeasts (or at least all Roc's) shack up together before reproducing, then it should be possible to use Legends mode to find megabeasts who are likely to have eggs in their caves.

But animals will still lay eggs, even if they're unfertilized.

Unless megabeasts work differently?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 10:23:12 pm »

While I haven't played the new version enough to really say, theoretically, you should be able to get a roc to visit your fort and run off the invading elk birds to invade one of your nest boxes itself and lay a clutch of infertile eggs, and then get angry when someone tries to steal them, because IT wants to make an omellete out of those otherwise worthless eggs, damnit!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 10:52:21 pm »

If you find a way to make reproducing megabeasts, I swear I will shake your hand/punch you in the face, at the same time.

That said, do any eggs laid in fortress mode produce viable offspring? Or is there some sort of limit?

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 12:13:39 am »

If you find a way to make reproducing megabeasts, I swear I will shake your hand/punch you in the face, at the same time.

That said, do any eggs laid in fortress mode produce viable offspring? Or is there some sort of limit?

Yes, but only if there's a mate.  Otherwise, the eggs are unfertilized and never hatch.  Even if there IS a mate, there's a chance the egg might be unfertilized anyway.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 01:04:27 am »

I was honestly shocked when I finally got that roc from worldgen.  I was pretty sure it wasn't in for this release, but I guess its just rare?  I was equally surprised the two rocs decided to live in the same cave in the first place.  I was under the impression that megabeasts preferred solitary sleeping arrangements, but, well, there you have it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:39:08 am by Caldfir »
where is up?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 04:51:48 am »

I was in doubt too, I even asked in the Future of the Fortress thread. Nice to know it's in, even rare as it is.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 06:22:55 am »

Huh. I'm pretty sure I've had rocs in pretty much every (vanilla) world I've created.

Anyways, if the megabeasts need to meet up, then in a pocket world with beasts cranked up there should be the best chances to actually see it.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 07:53:35 am »

what if mega beasts become a viable self sustaining polulation?

i mean on a pocket world, having for example 12 rocs like this in the same cave would allow endless increase in numbers

how often do they reproduce?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 07:59:01 am »

I've seen only one roc offspring in a pocket world generated to 1050. I think a bronze colossus died in that world, so the offspring might only go up to the number of megabeasts set in worldgen (I had to use advanced generation - the quick generation only creates 2 megabeasts on the highest beast setting).

Also, it's only rocs right now - dragons and hydras lack the child tag so they don't reproduce.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 08:04:15 am »

I've seen only one roc offspring in a pocket world generated to 1050. I think a bronze colossus died in that world, so the offspring might only go up to the number of megabeasts set in worldgen (I had to use advanced generation - the quick generation only creates 2 megabeasts on the highest beast setting).

Also, it's only rocs right now - dragons and hydras lack the child tag so they don't reproduce.

At least now it's only a matter of adding the tag to them.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 10:11:43 am »

New goal:

Capture a breeding pair of Rocs.  Tame them and set up a Roc farm.

Tricky, since Megabeasts show up at random once your population and fortress wealth rise high enough, and their presence can't be guaranteed or influenced by embark location.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 01:36:51 pm »

You can't just embark directly on a Roc's nest?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 09:12:42 pm »

There might be two ways to increase the frequency of this.

First, increase the number of megabeasts in world gen
Second, increase the cluster size of megabeasts.

These two combined will result in a much greater number of megabeasts in the world, increasing the chance that two will meet in the same cave and mate. A larger number of megabeasts also increases the chance that some will die, which leaves vacancies for megabeast offspring to fill, if there is a cap on megabeasts per world.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: [1] 2