Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25

Author Topic: Grandroids: Secret Supporter Stuff!  (Read 63852 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grandroids: Creatures Guy makes new Game!
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2011, 01:15:39 pm »

Well what does he need the money for?

Mind you I know what he COULD need money for.

But I don't think he ever said.

*checks*

Ohh I see he needs money for the same reasons Toady needs money. Food and water.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 01:24:10 pm by Neonivek »

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 01:17:44 pm »

Does this pledging system accept payments from PayPal?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 01:39:35 pm »

If I remember correctly, they do.

EDIT: I don't remember correctly.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 01:52:09 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 01:50:54 pm »

No they don't, only Amazon

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2011, 01:58:49 pm »

What is this creatures series?

Creatures was a PC game series that provided a simulated world/ecosystem for little virtual lifeforms called Norns to live in. Norns acted independently with guidance from the player, who took the form of a floating Hand that could carry/use objects, push buttons, type words to the Norns, and give punishment/reward.

Norns had 'brains' that could learn through stimulous and interaction. They could also be taught a very basic language, but would gradually understand how to construct meaningful sentences with the words they learnt in order to express their feelings, or in later games, even suggest a course of action to another Norn who had expressed his within earshot. The world they lived in contained various interactive objects like toys, food, elevators, buttons, computers and other contraptions. When encountering an unfamiliar object, curious Norns would experiment and see how they could manipulate it by trying various things: pushing it , pulling it, carrying it, trying to eat it... etc. Some Norns learnt that many things could harm them and would instinctively run away from 'scary' things.

Norns also had simulated biochemistry and genetics, and would grow up, breed, and die in a natural cycle. Offspring would be the result of combined genetic traits of their parents and could suffer mutations and adaptations that in some cases were beneficial in their survival. None of these things were scripted events within the game; they happened 'naturally'. People bred Norns that lived longer, could breathe underwater, and in some cases even became immortal and unable to die natural deaths. Norns could also colour mutate. Some people, for some ungodly reason, really loved having eye-gougingly bright neon creatures running around... Even things like their gait (pose) could mutate or be affected by ill health, causing weaker creatures to hunch over or crawl if they could not properly walk.

Creatures 1 was the purest concept, because it was Steve's brainchild. But after the game took off and their publisher demanded dumbed-down, simpler, less scientific sequels, Creatures 2 and 3 ended up being little more than graphical 'enhancements' (Personally I just think they made everything look like smoothed plastic). They did expand the Norn's behaviours and intelligence, though.

One of the best things about Creatures were the 'Kits' that players could use to peek into the inner workings of their creatures. The Genetics Kit, Medical Kit, Breeder's Kit, Science Kit etc allowed you to closely study what was happening inside a Norn's brain, or monitor its health, or fertility. There was a lot of support for people to create their own Norn breeds, genomes, objects, and even entirely new worlds. It was very much a modder's paradise, especially for people who loved tinkering with AI.

For more info: http://creatures.wikia.com/wiki/Creatures_Wiki_Homepage
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:02:21 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2011, 01:59:54 pm »

For some reason the robots remind me of bro, and his ironic puppet fetish videos. Or whatever they are, goddamn hussie.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2011, 02:24:45 pm »

Well the fact that a super-majority of them pledged 50+ dollars helps.. especially the 4 people who pledged 500 and 5 who pledged 1000.. I wonder if people pledged a grand just to have him kiss their feet..

//pledged $50

I crunched the numbers yesterday night, and, assuming everyone only donated the minimum for the category put him at roughly half what he had.

There are some very, very, very generous people out there, in short.

EDIT:
Crunched the numbers again and it's not *as* lopsided as it was last night. He'd have $11,665 if everyone only donated the minimum for their category. So an extra ~6k came from somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:28:35 pm by Xgamer4 »
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2011, 02:33:11 pm »

Also note that there is the option to pledge and refuse a reward, so those are not listed in the totals at all.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2011, 05:41:37 pm »

Wow Moogie thanks for all the information.  Downloading this free Docking Station thing now.  Lets see how it turns out.

Edit:  Oh hey it's asking me to change my settings to high- 16 bit colors.  How old is this game?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 05:51:23 pm by Puzzlemaker »
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2011, 06:03:39 pm »

According to the wiki, Creatures 3 was released November 1999, if you like DS then you can get Exodus on GOG.com.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2011, 06:38:04 pm »

I am just sad that I don't think they will get the funding

Though I could be biased based off of previous experience.

I remember when Waterman did this donation thing... It wasn't so much that people didn't want to donate... it is that he had less then two weeks for people to donate by the time people noticed.
Well, Grand has gotten well over half of what he wanted in just 2 days, he's still got quite a lot of time. And this hasn't even hit gaming sites really - no mention on RPS or anything like that. I think he'll do just fine.
Someone with influence with RPS should totally email this to them.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2011, 06:52:58 pm »

I, for one, welcome our new artificial overlords.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2011, 07:47:29 pm »

I am just sad that I don't think they will get the funding

Though I could be biased based off of previous experience.

I remember when Waterman did this donation thing... It wasn't so much that people didn't want to donate... it is that he had less then two weeks for people to donate by the time people noticed.
Well, Grand has gotten well over half of what he wanted in just 2 days, he's still got quite a lot of time. And this hasn't even hit gaming sites really - no mention on RPS or anything like that. I think he'll do just fine.
Someone with influence with RPS should totally email this to them.
I actually messaged Grand himself and he's looking into submitting the relevant info himself to a few gaming sites

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2011, 08:34:43 pm »

Wow Moogie thanks for all the information.  Downloading this free Docking Station thing now.  Lets see how it turns out.

Edit:  Oh hey it's asking me to change my settings to high- 16 bit colors.  How old is this game?

No problem. :) Docking Station is a good tryout. I'm not sure if any of the online servers still operate for it, but you used to have teleporter rooms where Norns could travel freely to and from other people's stations. Was interesting to see what weird and insanely mutated/spliced abominations you'd occasionally receive from people.

I would recommend Creatures 1 (if you can find it), and Creatures 3. The second game, while visually more pleasing than 3, contained some annoying bugs that are difficult to ignore (Norns had 'wall-bumping' syndrome which caused them to continuously walk into walls and injure themselves). I find Creatures 3/Docking Station to be the ugliest games, but the ships and interactive systems are the most interesting, and the Norns are fairly smart and self-sufficient.

Avoid, at all cost, any of the spin-offs like Village or Playground. Stick with 1 or 3/DS for the best experience.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2011, 08:36:35 pm »

I wish creatures 3 was free...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25