Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Six Ages/King of Dragon Pass  (Read 28090 times)

JanPospisil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Six Ages/King of Dragon Pass
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2019, 01:22:56 pm »

I fully agree the resolution settings should appear at least once, and you should be told how to access them later.
(programmers have been notified about this, afaik.)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2019, 12:56:27 pm »

I actually kinda missed the KoDP old screens artistry, but understand that the new one is a helluva lot more functional.

Beat Six Ages yesterday though! I won't say anything yet for the sake of spoilers, but it took some doing my first run-through was a starvation simulator as I didn't really know how to take care of my tribe. The second time around was scarcely better, with by end game only being able to field about 200 herd, so I had to restart.

Never did really kick the starvation issue on the third run. There was a few times I wanted to send people out to explore the valley, and ended up having to focus on food just to keep everyone alive. Still enjoyed it though! I'm hoping through my next playthroughs I can finally see all that is being offered through exploration.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2019, 11:24:27 pm »

I actually kinda missed the KoDP old screens artistry, but understand that the new one is a helluva lot more functional.

Beat Six Ages yesterday though! I won't say anything yet for the sake of spoilers, but it took some doing my first run-through was a starvation simulator as I didn't really know how to take care of my tribe. The second time around was scarcely better, with by end game only being able to field about 200 herd, so I had to restart.[...]
BIRDY HIIII :D
If there was one thing really motivating me to get Win10, it's this game :I I loved watching it through development before release.

Total aside but I really love being on the Kitfox discord too--very wholesome server, gem amongst many.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2019, 11:02:46 am »

If you're looking to upgrade to 10 (for free) they'll still let you apparently:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

I followed these instructions after E3 when I wanted to try their gamepass for PC and didn't have any issues personally.

I'm looking forward to giving this a spin! I purchased it on release, but have been busy with Disco Elysium so I haven't had a chance to play it yet.
Sounds like the playtime is much shorter and focused which I think for me is a good thing as admittedly I've never actually beat KoDP  :-[

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2019, 11:05:32 am »

Huh, hadn't noticed that this only works on windows 10. Pity. Guess I'll have to wait until whenever I get a new computer for it. I don't really have any interest in dealing with Windows 10 right now.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2019, 11:41:45 am »

Welp. Guess I won't be buying it for a while then.

Although I am curious what in development forced it to be Win 10 only.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2019, 06:11:39 pm »

Wow, that is an incredibly garbage restriction. Guess I won't be playing this either.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2019, 07:08:07 pm »

Yo Tiruin! Been a while. ^.^

Hopefully as time goes on, they might find a way to port it to PCs other than those that Windows 10. KoDP still holds my heart, but this installment feels like the first step into a much larger story, and in that respect, I'm really excited to see what direction the developer's plan on going.
BIRDS.

Tegga21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2019, 11:56:56 pm »

It is.

There are at least 3 chapters, this is first one.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 24, 2019, 03:35:10 am »

It is.

There are at least 3 chapters, this is first one.
There are six, each in a different age. Hence the name.

JanPospisil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2019, 04:48:51 am »

Yup, we've been working on the second game for a while now. :)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 24, 2019, 10:26:52 am »

Wow, that is an incredibly garbage restriction. Guess I won't be playing this either.

Seconded, unfortunately. It's barely advertised and Six Ages was the second game I've ever refunded on Steam.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2019, 03:31:22 pm »

Hey, I'm not that out of the loop. : P

What I meant to say is, Ride Like the Wind strikes me as a part of the story told at a time when the world still makes sense. I'm eager to see what happens when the world stops making sense.
BIRDS.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 03, 2022, 05:39:50 pm »

*blows the dust off*

So I actually got around to playing this. Got Windows 10 a while ago, finally bought this on sale.

I like it. It's pretty much KoDP.

I'll say that I think I like the art a bit less than KoDP. It feels done by multiple artists and the styles diverge sometimes. One is the classical style and the other one, while good....tends to go for caricatures. None of it is bad or detracts from the game. I just prefer the more realistic look to the stylized one.

Biggest difference I notice between this and KoDP is that the Doom Clock is in your face, obviously. The theme of the game is that the cold is coming from the North. What this means for gameplay is that your crop and hunting yields just go down over time. You can do rituals to restore your pastures and as many blessings for additional food as you want, but basically at some point you're going to have to migrate again. I don't know what that looks like. I think I'm 20 years into my game and maxing out all my blessings is just enough to maintain a surplus but it's getting harder and harder. Once the cold starts, you simply cannot trade for food either. And no amount of raiding I do ever seems to net me food. Just goods and cows and horses. So there really is a time limit on how long you can play.

That sort of dovetails into my second observation. There's just more to do with your time it feels like than in KoDP. While some actions don't require time advancing (switching what blessings shrines are using), and other actions which used to advance time are now gone. (Managing the # of people on patrol, crop allocations.) So while some of the management has been simplified, there's WAY more gods and shrines it feels like (plus spirits), so half the year feels taken up by sacrificing. Which was fairly common for KoDP too. But now with the food changes, you're looking at a minimum of 2 seasons (2 actions per season) to activate all the food blessings. Where as you didn't really need spend that much effort on food blessings in KoDP unless things had gone terribly awry. In SA you also have to set "Ventures" at least twice a year or so. Which are activities that take time to complete but are like "protect our herds better", "get more food from foraging", "get more crafted items", "get more food from hunting", "be better at combat for a year" etc....

So it feels like you have more than you can do in a year's time available to you.

Story-wise I feel pretty well-prepared for the game due to my time in KoDP. The pantheon and world story is different, yet the same and completely identifiable based on your understanding of Orlanthi history and deities and myths.

Not much else to say I guess, it's KoDP with some twists. Obviously the next two installments (one being "The world is literally collapsing around us" and the other being "it's a brave new world!") will shake things up yet again. Looking forward to them. I imagine the next one is going to be just savage. KoDP can already be a pretty mean game sometimes. I can only imagine the trials and tribulations you'll face when the world is falling apart.

Still need to finish this playthrough though and I imagine I'll do several more before the next one is out. I can now see why they split it up into 3 games. I'm not 100% sure Ride Like The Wind has as long of legs as KoDP, especially with how much time they give you before the land becomes uninhabitable. But I'm enjoying it and feel like whatever was subtracted from KoDP in terms of gameplay was added back and then some in Six Ages.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 05:45:55 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 02, 2023, 04:26:46 am »

There is a demo out on Steam for the next one. It looks good, it looks similar to the previous one rather than a radical departure. You can play the first three months and it shows the game start.

If you have a save for a completed game in Ride Like the Wind you can copy it's StormAge save folder to the same place in the demo files. I imported mine, and it appears that enables a few options that aren't present if not importing; for example I was able to maintain the Werris Mur starting choice (Brass Bazaar) that didn't seem to be an option without the import unless I missed it in my cursory glance at the options. I also saw the Beren and Redalda bonus I picked go off in a text off an unusual color go on the screen like +x Herds does; I think it was co-operation with outsiders.

If anyone lacking one would like a savegame I can upload mine. I save scummed it hard up until the last few years.
Choices in the save:
Leadership famous event
Rams as ancestral enemy (lost this in order to win the game)
Cenala worship with all riders
Ghostfriends (but never managed to explore Elempur somehow, kept looking in the wrong branch of the Oslira I think)
Antler society not banished but also not catered to other than their improved hunting ritual IIRC.

I don't know which choices carry over except for the Antler Society is seemingly still around and possibly turned into Broos, judging from a text search someone posted on the steam discussion forums.

Anyone mess around with the demo much? Food seems really tight, I think with all the available food blessings and doing food ventures I was running out; I probably needed more cows. Well once it comes out I'll see what the pro and con of maintaining the temples in the starting choice are in comparison to using their upkeep to trade for cows and establish food shrines.

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 04:39:54 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]