Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 464619 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #1860 on: October 27, 2014, 08:59:07 pm »

There's 2 new classes, 1 new race, and 2 new zones. So... while I think it's pretty cheap at 4 bucks compared to the time I've gotten from the game, I'm sure cries of ripoff will be incoming soon enough.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: October 27, 2014, 09:24:40 pm »

Getting the game on Steam doesn't actually earn you any coins, unfortunately. :( The balance goes to unlocking donator benefits.

Doesn't the expansion also add some artifacts and such? Ditto lore, though that might matter less to people.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: October 27, 2014, 09:25:42 pm »

Also another 10k+ words of lore, 20 or so artifacts, buncha new talents to go with the class/race additions, stuff like that. It definitely feels like a relatively minor dlc, but I'd been meaning to throw a little at T4 for a while, so *shrugs*

E: *brushes little tear away* My gravestone's still there~

Had almost forgotten that was there. The Legless Jack one is a frumple suggestion, heh.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:51:08 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: October 27, 2014, 11:08:20 pm »

So... wraithform isn't actually letting me walk through walls. Am I missing something somewhere or should I go report it?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: October 27, 2014, 11:28:03 pm »

Are the walls in question diggable?
Ask not!
Ask!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: October 27, 2014, 11:33:17 pm »

I....I don't know. I've never tried digging in cities, so I guess it makes sense that you can't just tunnel through Last Hope's fortifications. heh.

SpiredWarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: October 28, 2014, 08:21:17 am »

Is something wrong with the order that I do dungeons? After doing the Old Forest or so, my saves tend to fall apart.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: October 28, 2014, 08:47:37 am »

I recommend not skipping any of the T1 areas. The game will skip you to the final level of the T1 once you reach a certain level, but you could get useful equipment from the first tiers.

If the Maze has the alternate horror version, skip it until after Sandworm Lair. Also be careful of chests and vaults. If you feel like a challenge, open them but try to make it a conscious decision that whatever pops out of them could be way stronger than you.

The Old Forest will contain the first creatures you might not actually want to attack. Some of the horrors in the second part of the Old Forest are just downright unkillable for some class/race combinations.

Take your time. Try to rest in between fights and try to lure ranged enemies around corners or fight in hallways so you don't get overwhelmed. Is there anything in particular that you die to?

Edit: Oh and try to always have some form of escape.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:51:53 am by Shadowgandor »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: October 28, 2014, 09:07:59 am »

Yes, to maximise your character chances of survival do not skip any of the T1 zones.

A simple difference of 1 level can give you access to a specific skill or improve one you have to a much more useful state, making your character more prepared to face a threat on a specific zone than if you rushed and ended with 1 less experience level.

SpiredWarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: October 28, 2014, 09:13:27 am »

Usually I die to things like Wrathroot or Daikara's snow giants, but I also have issues with the shadowblades in the Unknown Tunnels and the Assassin Lord. I've realized what to do there, adjust my items for Old Forest or Daikara, but other than that, nothing in particular.

And I never realized that I should try to do all of the T1 zones, I thought experience from the enemies there fell off.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: October 28, 2014, 09:31:41 am »

Wrathroot is using a lot of cold-based spells, so with enough cold resistance (equipping items for special enemies is very recommended) you should have no problem.

The snow giants can be tricky in the case you have a rock thrower in the middle of them, they hit -very- hard mostly because they do physical damage and usually that's the most overlooked kind of resistance.
Staying around a pack of snow giant can be deadly if there's a rock thrower with them (and there's nearly 1 of them with every snow giant pack).

To deal with them, you need to move to a corner of corridor to prevent them to throw things at you, and once they show up, rush them and kill them as fast as you can.

After that, getting some lightning resistance can help against some of the snow giant lightning users.

The thieves has gotten more difficult since a few version, as there was apparently a bug related to poison and thieves monster that prevented them to really deal as much damage as they could.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: October 28, 2014, 03:30:26 pm »

Usually I die to things like Wrathroot or Daikara's snow giants, but I also have issues with the shadowblades in the Unknown Tunnels and the Assassin Lord. I've realized what to do there, adjust my items for Old Forest or Daikara, but other than that, nothing in particular.

And I never realized that I should try to do all of the T1 zones, I thought experience from the enemies there fell off.

It does, but it can still give you maybe the little boost to get into another level.

Also, get luck out and get some good loot from doing them. Maybe a high level rare weapon from a vault, chest, or rare, or a useful unique from a boss. (Be careful of vaults in the rhaloren camp.)

Don't forget to do arena in Derth before level 12 for 2 generic points. (At level 12, Storming the City opens up and the arena master either dies or disappears.)

There's also the Hidden Compound (slavers) although there really isn't much there besides a little experience. Also the... I forget what it's called, but where you fight Subject Zero and save (or more likely watch die) the yeek.

Personally, I often do maze and sandworm lair before old forest, because once I do old forest I prefer to go immediately to the ruins, but I often have difficulty with the demons in there (even if I'm trying only to find the stairs rather than clear the place) and the weirdling beast. However, I play ranged a lot. Of course, it easily possible to not have to do that, and OF is definitely easier than maze or sandworm lair (particularly the maze boss in his tiny level).

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: October 28, 2014, 04:19:24 pm »

Experience from the enemies does fall off there, but killing all the T1 bosses should net you an extra level or two as well as a few T1-T2 artifacts. And as the others have pointed out, even that extra level+the artifacts makes a significant difference, especially if they are artifacts you need.

Also, as the others have said, skip all alt levels till later. They are usually significantly harder.

Also in general you always want to have: A good escape option, a way to purge (or heavily resist) nasty status effects, and keep enough health that you can survive a nasty combination of attacks (eg. while two skeletons might deal 100 damage combined on average, if they both use their best abilities+crit at the same time, they could do 500 damage in a single turn). A source of healing/regeneration is also pretty important in fights

RE: Shadowblades: Try to throw damage at where you think they are before they attack you, them being able to kill you in one hit isn't very important if you manage to kill them before they attack you. If you right click on a spot with a invisible hostile in it, it usually gives you an "inspect this creature" option, so you can usually tell if an enemy is there. Some abilities can only target enemies, even if you can't see them (eg. rush IIRC), so spamming them until one works also lets you find an invisible creature. Stacking health (so that they can't instakill you) would probably help too.

Wrathroot: Get stun/freeze resistance, make sure you have a good way to escape, and try to have a way to purge the freeze (eg. Physical infusion). You can physically break the freeze, but that's sub-optimal since he keeps freezing it on you.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: October 28, 2014, 04:39:08 pm »

Been a long time not playing tome4 , decided to give it another try with a halfling brawler , so far it's rather straightforward and didn't met really any opposition while finishing all the T1, looks like the class has been buffed a bit as i remember in the past having a hard time on the beginning with them.
just reached level 13 with the lumberjack village and now ready for starting the T2 with Old Forest

Looks like the online stuff isn't working great, can't seem to auto-log in to get my character progress saved.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: October 28, 2014, 06:02:11 pm »

Person asking question, I would definitely say it's almost certainly playstyle. Exactly what, I couldn't say, but I very regularly do basically what you're doing in regards to order (though I tend to hit the maze before OF) and come out fine. I'd kinda' disagree that the alt-dungeons are particularly more difficult than the mainline ones (though the main maze is significantly less of a pain in the arse to navigate), and haven't bothered skipping them in a long, long time. I do alt-maze at 11 or 12, I do main maze at 11 or 12 -- same for OF, if I've already found waterbreathing kit (because I go straight into the lake). Swinging by to at least off the bosses on all the T1s is a pretty good idea, though. I often outright skip the sandworm lair nowadays... I love the heart, but half the time I can't be arsed to navigate the thing.

Wrathroot... if you've got a decent heal (regen or otherwise) the freeze is scary but frankly painless -- the CD on it is too long to be a genuine threat in the face of semi-decent (say, 150+ on regen, ~100+ on heal providing the CD is <10, stuff like that) inscriptions. Getting into melee can help there, if you're a melee class, since that can often screw with the boss's AI a little (i.e. they'll just whack you instead of doing something useful).

In regards to the snow giants, you want to take advantage of the terrain and make sure you let boulder throwers come to you -- they're the only genuine threat in that zone, imo, and if you get yourself in an open space with three or four of them, they will wreck you into the ground. If you can keep it one-on-one (and hopefully stun/daze/etc. that gorram freakishly OP boulder throwing talent into non-use) they usually fold fairly easily. Also, protip on confusion: If you're confused and you want to melee something, use the attack talent. I've got it hotkeyed to / on the numpad. If you try to move into the enemy to attack, it will often move you instead of taking a swing. Trying to actually use the attack talent does not have that problem.

Shadowblades and assassin lord sounds like you might be having problems with accuracy. Usually so long as you can hit them (and, preferably, have no more than one beside you at a time) they fold fairly easily. Push comes to shove, just kite until you can heal up. Also, that attack talent again. Or just melee talents in general -- so long as there's just one critter beside you, it'll autoswing at it even if you can't, technically, see the thing.

... all that said, I usually pay... basically absolutely no attention to my saves. Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're not. I just don't really notice or care. Most status effects that aren't straight up damage have ways to react that help mitigate their effects, so you can often push through daikara with no confusion resists/low msave, and so forth, just by knowing how to react while confused to keep yourself from keeling over. Same for a lot of stuff, really.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 163