Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 467956 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #1875 on: October 28, 2014, 07:05:28 pm »

There's also the chance to get a blood of life from the T1 bosses, which is nothing to sneeze at.

More comments on the xpack/DLC/whatever:
Demonologists just sound fun to play. Their talents really fit my playstyle, so I need to get back into it and play them along with the boosted 2H sun pallies. I'm also surprised at how much I'm enjoying the new lore, which was a non-issue in my purchase decision.

My Doombringer (Urist McDemonbeard) has put me into an unusual situation: he's sitting on my final cat point with full inscription slots and un-trained Celestial/Light... but I don't feel like I need Light, at all. I took Fearfire with the first one and everything I need in class talents feels very good as-is... so I have points to spend as both class and generic. Are hexes any good? I'm thinking about taking Wrathful for more vim to use them.

Also, potential spoilers regarding the race unlock:
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: October 28, 2014, 07:44:52 pm »

Re: hexes: Pacification hex is incredibly solid. Really, really good debuffing talent. Burning and domination hexes are both also pretty darn sexy, or so I hear. I've never actually used any of them but pacification, but pacification is really rather good, so. There you go.

That said, when given the option between hexes and freaking light there's not really a choice, imo, so long as you've got enough generic points to get providence. Like. All of the light tree is even more intensely sexy nowadays than it used to be. Bathe in Light has become borderline OP (especially in conjunction with damage shields, obviously). Healing light remains an incredibly solid (functionally entirely free) healing talent. The shield is a shield, which again synergizes with BiL, and, well. Providence is providence. Still one of the absolute best anti-debuff talents in the game.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: October 29, 2014, 03:12:40 pm »

Brawlers have sure been getting some improvement, i just finished all the T2 and the optionals and am ready now to go to Dreadfell
My halfling brawler just reached level 23

I don't remember having my character been in serious danger at any time (well with the life i leech from the Bloodcaller it certainly helps :) ) , surprising as i clearly remember in the past my brawlers having a much harder time.

Not complaining as i know there are enough threats ahead that will certainly test my guy, but i was really surprised how everything bosses and rare go down that quickly against that Halfling Brawler, a rush -> double punch -> axe kick and if needed a haymaker nearly kill everything (and i have a flurry of fist in reserve just in case), poor roaming adventurers are going down before even understanding they're going to die.

And i don't even have the  Flexible Combat prodigy yet, that's going to be horrible for the monsters once my character will get it :D

Brawlers has gone from weaker class to top class in current version.

SpiredWarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: October 29, 2014, 05:00:14 pm »

ok, I've been trying you guys' advice, and it's really been working out for me, I think. But then again, I'm doing a Doombringer since I just got Urhrok, and I've been hearing a lot about them being OP. I'll have to try your advice with a different class and see how that works out for me.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: October 29, 2014, 05:58:46 pm »

Doombringers are definitely strong, but I don't think they're quite as strong as, say, Oozemancers. Really though the same general strategies work for most everyone: have escapes and ways to purge the worst debuffs at will. Use escapes liberally. Use regen infusions at the start of a fight, try and take on anything tough/you're unsure of one at a time. When all else fails, teleport/psychoport away and regroup.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: October 29, 2014, 06:09:37 pm »

Yeah, DB's been about on par with slayers, up to the point I leveled it (20, then promptly switched over to demonologist), t'me. Playing about the same, roughly the same degree of toughness (once you hit 12), similar damage output (i.e. overkill until past the west).

Demonologists are... different. Playing it, not entirely sure I like it. Hoping things get more interesting as the higher tier seeds show up, since you really kinda' need 'em to use and sustain much of your talents. Need that vim on hit/getting hit, et al. Right now (level 16, in nur) they're just kinda' awkward feeling. Doing alright, outside of eating a death from running into three ooze horrors and a pack of luminious (and not dipping before running out of the resources needed to power my escape methods. Round two went much more smoothly.), all at the same time, though. Biggest problem for them is probably vim regeneration at low-ish levels -- if they're having trouble killing something, there's not much they can do mid-fight if their vim taps out (unless you get that locked tier 3 talent, which instead buggers your stamina right into the ground). I expect that to change when I've got better seeds, but for the time being it's a PitA :-\

E: Ohey, they updated. Demonologist and doombringer. Ignore the blood knight addon -- there's some kind of annoying bug where the bloody game won't load without the freaking thing active. And I'm too lazy to fix it, since it doesn't really meaningfully change the game outside of adding a class and improving the bleed status UI. Demo's gained a level since then, though.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:29:49 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: October 29, 2014, 06:39:42 pm »

My Halfling brawler seems to be unstoppable.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then visiting the stores of the towns to see what the post-Dreadfell refreshing of their stock would offer i found this rather awesome thing that i bought immediately :

And a very nice gauntlet that was much better than the one i had, with a really great cloth with lots of stat bonuses. It's rare at that point of the game i buy so many items in stores, usually i have better items already than what they sell.

Then moving out of town to go get the elixir of focus as i got all the requirements, i had the Dark Crypt just happening there, after thinking if i would go or not, i decided to go, after all i had 0 death so far and i wanted to test that brawler completely.
And out of the initial difficult entrance that forced me to teleport (so many spellcasters in that room) to avoid risking some bad stuff, i went down and down and

So level 27 now and ready to go to that boringly repetitive Reknor.
Looks like the DLC has caused some server problem, most of the time i lose contact with it , hard to save the character to my online vault correctly, i had to retry several times, i guess it means the DLC was successful

edit : decided to go to the mummy place , i wanted to keep it for after, but considering how strong that guy is, i decided to go, and got to level 28 there, punching everything to death, and wow, at that point of the game, Brawlers are really strong
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 06:56:02 pm by Robsoie »

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: October 29, 2014, 07:25:29 pm »

I seriously adore the new brawler. They fixed it up in...the last major version, I think? With a few smaller patches and the expansion since then. To date, it's my only actual win. Madame Fisticuffs II wrecked some serious shit. Grappling lets you ruin spellcasters, even as a halfling, and takedown (I think it's called?) lets you suplex entire rooms.

I mean that literally. Use it on a grappled enemy and you AoE for wonderful damage.

There's also the fact that all of their talents feel and work together so well. Setting up combos has a fun rhythm to it, not to mention it lets you move around while breaking faces.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: October 29, 2014, 08:15:13 pm »

Sooo... I just beat the game on my Doombringer. Only thing that gave me real troubles is the arcane dragon pedestal guardian. You can even fearscape the final bosses. I didn't bother closing any portals, fearscaped the caster, bashed on the melee type for a while and won before the portal reinforcements made it to the fight.

Mind you, this STILL isn't the easiest win I've ever had... so... I'm guessing I probably didn't use whatever stupid OP broken setup everyone has been fist-shaking about, even without taking Light.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: October 29, 2014, 08:47:40 pm »

The dev admit he went mad :D , as shown in his new online event
the achievement given :
Now for something different, while i was exploring the spider cave in the east, i noticed the floor of each level was having lots of wormholes
After clearing all the floors and beating the spider boss, nothing went different from every previous times i cleared that dungeon.
I walked on them, even tried to press > or < but nothing, anything supposed to happen or is that some kind of glitch ?

Anyways, my halfling brawler is more and more strong, especially now that he has the Flexible Combat prodigy and reached level 32, it's impressive how the enemies can go down that fast.

Give brawlers a try in case you have difficulty with other classes, they're really strong in current version

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: October 29, 2014, 08:55:12 pm »

The wormholes are pretty normal, I think? For the most part they don't do anything, but I think they might teleport enemies if they're standing on one when you hit them with a spell, maybe. Something like that. The chat usually answers it really fast, but the servers are a mess right now. :I

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: October 29, 2014, 10:09:17 pm »

Tried this game again yesterday. Still can't get the resolution to be playable (broke when it went to steam for me) :(

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: October 30, 2014, 02:05:33 am »

How to get that badassery thing, if at all?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: October 30, 2014, 02:19:07 am »

I don't think it actually does anything, but I got the buff 3 strikes from winning the game, so...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: October 30, 2014, 03:15:47 am »

How to get that badassery thing, if at all?
It's random/DG induced, like bunnification or the bearscape. It doesn't actually do anything mechanical, s'far as I can remember, just causes some cosmetic things. Stuff talking when they die, mostly.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 163