Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 464670 times)

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #1920 on: November 02, 2014, 10:16:08 am »

Hmm, Brawler, eh? I started one after the rework and supplexing people was indeed great fun. Might just start another one...

Oneir, any idea what that Berserker build was?

And how are Sun Paladin/Solipsist nowadays? Sun Paladin also got reworked IIRC, and I haven't really played it in general.

Thanks for the ongoing replies, btw!
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: November 02, 2014, 10:29:53 am »

I got a little playtime in on the buffed sun pallies some time ago but something or other distracted me and I never finished. I recall it making a pretty big difference in damage output - enough that 2-hander was pretty fun and still very safe because of the changes to the Light tree. I enjoyed it more than arcane blades, for what that's worth.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: November 02, 2014, 11:45:01 am »

What got me nearly through the whole game was :

Rush -> Axe Kick (big damaging kick in the face, get combo points, make enemy fail talents) -> regular punching (to benefit from automatic Double Strike and get combo point) -> Haymaker (finisher with devastating damage , remove combo points)  -> Flurry of Fist (3 punches, get more combo points) -> Concussive Punch ( finisher with big damage with large area of effect to deal with groups, remove combo points)
and get an Uppercut to stun people if you think you need that.

Assuming you have good equipment to optimise your critical % and damage output, with Flexible Combat, nearly every regular enemies are dead after the axe kick , rare/unique may be dead after the haymaker and some bosses may be nearly dead after the concussive.

I didn't go antimagic so i could benefit from a shield rune to add to my character resilience, along with a teleport just in case (i don't think i actually used it for the whole game).

On the talent , out of the obvious damage dealers i mentionned make sure to get the ones from Cunning/Tactical to improve everything about your punching in the face and defense.
On the other side, the 2 first talents of Technique/Unarmed training are a must have for tons of STR/CON bonus and big damage bonus

Unflinching Resolve is a must, at max it give passively 59% of chance each round to remove stun/blind/confusion/pin/slow/wound effects you recieve.

I didn't used any of the grappling skills, no idea if they're worth the investment or if they're weak and useless

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 11:53:44 am by Robsoie »

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: November 02, 2014, 12:10:25 pm »

I think the gnarly berserker build was...the bloodthirst tree? Something about building crit and turning into a rush monster. I don't really remember, sorry. :-/

I didn't used any of the grappling skills, no idea if they're worth the investment or if they're weak and useless

Situational, but very worth it. There are all kinds of times when it's nice to keep a mob from getting away, and silencing casters is a life-saver. (also another reason Axe Kick is great, btw, with added bonus that concussing the Master just sounds funny) If you slap more points into it, you can also use it as another damage mitigator: other guys wailing on you wail on your victim, too. Takedown is also hilarious. I can't stress that enough.

Personally, I never used Rush after I got spinning backfist. The cooldown is much nicer, even if the range is much reduced, and the bonus combo points are great. A huge +1 on Flexible Combat, though. You attack faster already, plus you have so many skills that either attack more than once, or give you counterattacks, or...it's just great, basically. I'm curious about running an anti-magic brawler, but my suspicion is you already have enough things to spend generics on that it might not work that well.

Actually, the brawler is one class that makes me really want to try modding/adventurer. I feel like a brawler/marauder or brawler/arcane blade could be really fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: November 02, 2014, 05:25:15 pm »

Minor heads up: Black Ring on a Doombringer is close to the worst idea ever. Poor Last Hope. I was trying to kill a pumpkin ghost, not half your civilian population. Also ow. Darkfire to the face is painful.

Actually, wearing the black ring at all seems to be a terrible, terrible idea. Darkfire's a pretty crappy spell to begin with, what with the sizable AoE and self-damage, and about the only way to make it worse is to tack "uncontrolled" onto it. Which is what the ring does.

E: Oh, that poor idiot ghost. Magetown is seriously not the place to try to jump someone. Especially when you're in range of the deathbeast.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 05:29:21 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: November 02, 2014, 05:53:11 pm »

Minor heads up: Black Ring on a Doombringer is close to the worst idea ever. Poor Last Hope. I was trying to kill a pumpkin ghost, not half your civilian population. Also ow. Darkfire to the face is painful.

Actually, wearing the black ring at all seems to be a terrible, terrible idea. Darkfire's a pretty crappy spell to begin with, what with the sizable AoE and self-damage, and about the only way to make it worse is to tack "uncontrolled" onto it. Which is what the ring does.

Can confirm regret. I just love artifacts too much. ;n; The one fun thing is proccing off of abduction...except for still being range of the AoE.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: November 02, 2014, 06:31:42 pm »

Yeah... it was made marginally worse by being a staffbringer. 3-400 damage bomb to your face stings, especially when that's like a third of your HP >_>

Which actually feels kinda' anemic for a 30th level character, but eh. Third level talent, still pre-east, etc., etc.

E: Game. Game ;_;

Why would you drop my 5th level shaloren demonologist onto the second level of the scintillating caves. In line of sight of two goddamn rares? I... I survived. Didn't eat a death. But bloody hell that was close. And cruel.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 10:03:23 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: November 03, 2014, 12:24:39 pm »

I didn't go antimagic so i could benefit from a shield rune to add to my character resilience, along with a teleport just in case (i don't think i actually used it for the whole game).

I did my Brawler play through as a Skeleton so no anti-magic for me.  The racials really helped me with survivability.

As for grappling, it's nice, but not great.  You get some damage reduction while you have the grapple and it pins/silences your target.  Suplex makes for nice AE damage or you can hurricane throw them for some extra "mobility." Overall a great utility tree, but not so great for single target combat.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: November 03, 2014, 06:28:39 pm »

I decided that the Sun is a pretty cool guy and wouldn't it be nice to introduce it to the faces of some enemies, and I rolled a Sun Paladin.

After restarting about 20 times since I kept dying in the starting area [that thing is a pain], I finally made it to level 14 without any deaths, cleared all the tier 1 dungeons and the Rogue Tunnels and bought a Dwarven Steel two-hander of massacre [73 max damage on a weapon at level 14 is no joke].

I'm currently trying out all these fun new talents which let me hit people in fascinating new ways.

As always I'm copying a build - particularly this one: http://te4.org/characters/54789/tome/b5bb467d-1c82-4a5a-b7ab-f4ded193587f

Not sure about maxing cunning third, though - I might go for Con, just for the safety.

The class has definitely moved up in enjoyment, leaving Cursed comfortably blobbing at the bottom of the "Gnaw-my-own-teeth-I'm-so-bored" swamp.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: November 03, 2014, 08:44:55 pm »

So Con is not a very good way to get hitpoints, weirdly! It's much more efficient to get items of +HP.

EDIT: Patch! 1.2.5! Very, very vague release notes!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 09:58:33 pm by Oneir »

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: November 04, 2014, 12:43:19 am »

Was able to get the resolution playable using Robsoie's method. At least on the smaller resolutions. If I go above 800x600 it stretches it off-screen again so its not the prettiest setting but at least usable. Thanks :)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: November 04, 2014, 05:49:50 am »

Once you have your base 800x600 window working, have you tried to drag the tome4 window corner around to resize it manually (instead of changing the resolution in the actual game menu) ?

out of probably fixing some dlc-related stuff, i wonder what are that patch 1.2.5 "minor improvement" .

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: November 04, 2014, 06:00:39 am »

It stretches the 800x600 to fill my screen and even in windowed mode I don't see any borders to drag on.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: November 04, 2014, 06:25:18 am »

In the resolution.cfg try to replace what you have by this :
window.size = '800x600 Windowed'

And see if you can see the window borders

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: November 04, 2014, 01:27:04 pm »

Eesh, demonologist goes a lot more smoothly when you net a decent shield early on. Sub-15 barkwood... helped. A lot. Among some other things. Character! Bit it once during the starting zone, but eh. It's almost shocking how much less trouble this one is having compared to my cornac, who I more or less abandoned at the same level (after it got wrecked by... the wretchling beast, I think*). Looking forward to getting better seeds, though. C'mon, level 18...

*This one dropped the eggsac summons and a 20th level dolleg on the beast and more or less rolled over it.

E: Woah. Blighted path. There goes any vim problems until stuff with mana clash starts popping up regularly. Also a nice painful beatstick effect. Nice.

E2: Well, that was the worst derth setup I've seen in a long time. No less than eight lightning Es within LoS of the initial opening to the inner town. Maaaay have panicked a little. Survived, but ow. Ow.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 06:12:43 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 163