Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 467805 times)

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #1935 on: November 04, 2014, 02:11:22 pm »

I finally won on insane roguelike... in the Arena. :P Strangely, even though you can put points into lichform in the arena it doesn't work. It just causes the game to bug out.

Anyway, skeletons seem to be decent on insane. Their exp penalty isn't very noticeable when 1/3 of the enemies you encounter are rares. Though their starting dungeon is awful on higher difficulties.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: November 04, 2014, 08:08:52 pm »

Cheers, Feelgood.

---

Yeah, demonologist's biggest problem, it seems, is that they don't really get off the ground until level 18. But once they finally start off, they start off pretty damn hard. Hitting that third tier of seeds means you get things like goddamn Daelachs on tap (The 27th level one my elfologist has, has just shy of three freaking times my hp), functionally infinite vim (+3 per melee attack, per ring if desired, blighted path (which is actually second tier, but whatever), etc., etc., etc.), and a whole new ballpark of damage and whatnot. It's pretty crazy.

They're basically crap -- easily one of the worst classes -- until they hit that level 18. Then things start coming off the rails. Definitely looking forward to getting the rest of the seed outlay -- currently, my only next tier ones are for rings (daelach) and body (wretch titan, which is actually kinda' cruddy -- just incoming crit damage reduction).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: November 04, 2014, 10:28:33 pm »

My level 18 skeleton storm mage got killed while auto-exploring in the Bearscape of all places. I got silenced, then blasted by an oozemancer rare. I managed to get a lich necromancer to level 28, but she couldn't handle Dreadfell. Well, time to try the new classes. Maybe one of them is broken enough to breeze through insane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: November 04, 2014, 10:51:24 pm »

Doombringer... might. They're pretty beaty at the moment. Demonologist doesn't really get functional until 18+, and they might not be able to survive until that point on insane. They're more viable afterwards, but... getting there. Is problem.
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: November 07, 2014, 10:18:38 am »

For whoever is interested, apparently ToME4 is on sales on gog too, and a specific of that version is that the item vault that had the DRM requiring the player to be always online to access it has been rendered offline compatible.
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_tales_of_majeyal_and_ashes_of_urhrok_expansion/post100

Meaning if you play with the gog version, you don't need to create an account and be online to use the item vault and share your items between your characters.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: November 08, 2014, 06:57:28 am »

Well, I was going to come and talk about how well my Sun Paladin was doing, but...
- Suffocated in the first tunnel of the Sandworm Tunnels, because Path of Light takes a turn to cast [skill descriptions? bah!]
- Died to a Rare in the Ruined Dungeon, because I hadn't levelled up for about 10 levels
- Died twice in the first floor of the Crypt, because some things never change.

Other than that, Two-Hander Sun Paladin is a surprisingly fun build. You have your AoE, your single target damage, some CC, some ranged damage, some resistances, some healing and pretty decent melee damage. The only issue is relatively low mobility, but runes and stuff do exist, even if I personally am not using them.

The abilities themselves combo to a decent-ish extent, and are fun to use, resource management is basically non-existent [I've set Bathe in Light to autocast when no enemies, meaning I always enter combat with full Positive energy] so all in all a solid 8/10 class.

My main two issues : not as OP as I'd like to feel; not as fun as Arcane Blade - Darkmere bow your head in shame right this very instant. Also I feel like all the shiny stuff is slowing my laptop even more, but then again my AB took 5 seconds to parse each turn because of all the coloured explosions.

Damn, I might have to play another Oozemancer or something.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: November 08, 2014, 09:41:13 am »

Naturally, I was at full health beforehand. Not that it mattered :P
Ask not!
Ask!

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: November 08, 2014, 12:07:18 pm »

I'm surprised there was actually code in place for that eventuality. DG's sig on the forum is about someone managing to do 2 billion damage in one turn, I wouldn't have expected "infinite" damage to be possible.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: November 08, 2014, 12:22:16 pm »

Naturally, I was at full health beforehand. Not that it mattered :P

Infinite damage? O_O Didn't know it was possible.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: November 08, 2014, 12:46:52 pm »

It apparently is! Was interesting to find out.

And yeah, DG's actually quoting me about that big number, ha. Different means of going about it, though, I think. That one was just extreme multiplication, this one seems to be some kind of calculation oddity with secondary acid effects. If it were a emergency cut-off effect, I would have expected extreme lag beforehand as it tried to calc up and went crazy, which didn't happen. Apparently lua can handle calculating with infinities, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: November 09, 2014, 08:13:59 am »

Decided to play a Shalore Necromancer , and for fun to start in Insane difficulty (that i unlocked with a Dwarf Oozemancer some months ago)

So i start in the scintillating cave as expected, immediately next to the stair and so to me, there's a bear, ok instead of retreating, let's try to see if that guy can at least kill the 1st monster he see.
shield rune on, then invoke darkness to try to shoot the thing to death.

Well it didn't really go well, my shield is down and the bear is nearly undamaged despite the couple of invoke darkness shots.
I was going to summon a minion when i see an rare/elite snake coming , ok that's very bad .

I shoot my invoke darkness , again damage is so ridiculous that it looks the thing isn't even hurt.
Time to exit, oh i can't ? i'm under some kind of effect, last chance, let's use my Phase Door spell

Great it phased away enough, hmm what is that, another rare/elite snake at 3 tiles of me ?
No escape from such a thing as snakes are always faster even with my 16% speed bonus from the Shalore talent.

I decide to use the Phase Door rune this time and i move only slightly away.
... only to see the other rare/unique snake and the bear appearing at the entrance of that room.

Fortunately my Phase Door spell comes online, let's try and ... wow, i moved next to one of the 1st elite/rare snake while the other close in, let's use the shield that came back usable
Poor shalore necro, couldn't do much
Galewe the large brown snake hits Gurginis for (14 absorbed), 0 physical, (10 absorbed), 0 arcane, (4 absorbed), 0 acid (0 total damage).
Neredhena the large white snake uses Thorn Grab.
Your shield crumbles under the damage!
The shield around Gurginis crumbles.
Galewe the large brown snake hits Gurginis for (10 absorbed), 0 physical, (10 absorbed), 0 arcane, (3 absorbed), 1 acid (1 total damage).

Gurginis is no longer out of phase.
Galewe the large brown snake throws two quick punches.
Galewe the large brown snake hits Gurginis for 10 physical, 10 arcane, 4 acid, 10 physical, 0 arcane, 4 acid (38 total damage).
Gurginis deactivates Necrotic Aura.
Gurginis deactivates Blurred Mortality.

...dead.

Well, i'll give a try to Nightmare, Insane is a bit too insane for me :D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 08:16:01 am by Robsoie »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: November 09, 2014, 08:58:33 am »

Yeah, you mostly forgot step 1 for playing shalore on any difficulty (but especially the higher ones): Go up the stairs :P

Though trying to kill a bear right off the bat was a bit silly, too. Those buggers are tanky enough on lower difficulties, without the insane boosts. Leaving, go off to trollmire (or maybe heart of the gloom -- it's pretty likely to have squishy rats to oneshot) or something would have been your better bet. Avoiding tougher critters and rares for a few levels is good, too. You definitely have to play differently on the upper difficulties, from what I understand.

Though don't forget the best insane/madness starting strategy: Go around checking the towns and drowning any rares/uniques that generated. Absolute best bet at level 1 in higher difficulties for XP and some jumpstart loot, that.
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: November 09, 2014, 10:08:56 am »

Wasn't the drowning stuff removed a few versions ago ?
It's been a long time i didn't tried that but my blurry memory seems to remember about something having changed regarding the town drowning stuff ?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: November 09, 2014, 10:12:18 am »

Doesn't seem to have been... I drowned a rare townsfolk earlier this morning. Wasn't paying attention the XP, but it definitely dropped loot.
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: November 09, 2014, 10:17:56 am »

I'll give a try next time
Meanwhile i've been running a Halfling Berserker (it has been a long time i didn't played one so i wanted to see what had been changed for that class) in nightmare.

After an initial trouble in Trollmire that forced me to run out of it (a rare troll with a golem) i went to clear Norgos and a bit of the blighted dungeon nearby of it (didn't go to the boss of it as i remember a little difficulty spike with it the last time i played nightmare here).
With much better equipement and 6 more levels, i went back and annihilated the rare troll and his golem and cleared Trollmire without any problem, even the boss went down very fast (i was expecting the nightmare version of it to be tougher)

Then i decided to quit that character, the level of boring repetition was too much for me, i'll have to try some non-melee character as i think i still have too much of them after my long Brawler run and victory.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 163