Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 467031 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #2100 on: March 25, 2015, 01:50:43 am »

For some reason I thought the bandit dungeon was rigged to only spawn at random in the far north of the map. Seems like I always find it there on auto-explore at around level 15+ and not before. I guess it's worth the risk of being blinded and back-stabbed to death, but I'm assuming someone's first few games are going to end at the Master in any case.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: March 25, 2015, 03:43:46 am »

It's not, but it's definitely the easiest to trigger up there. There's a few good places to run back and forth, as well as a fairly sizable bit of land to explore, and basically no overland encounters. Triggers starting at level 6, you're just usually not moving around enough before your mid-teens to really have a chance to stumble across it.

As for other folks not making it far, it's usually a pretty decent idea regardless. Good chance of gold chests in there, alright XP for relatively little risk, the material restrictions more or less disappear (though that's only really attractive if you're using daggers), the merchant gives a little gold plus access to a shop that might have something particularly useful in it, and it's quite a short encounter. It's a good way to kill some time before going into OF or Daikara or somethin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: March 25, 2015, 05:35:46 am »

On normal at least I don't think that Crystals are worse than Rhaloren camp. It comes down to whether you have good ranged damage or closers. A few points in Rush and enough patience (always, always 'R'est before moving on after a fight) are usually enough even for pure melee characters. Heart of Gloom is a crapshoot because sometimes the level generator will plunk you down in the middle of a giant room filled with enemies, possibly including the boss. If you're okay missing out on the loot sitting on the floor (does anyone know what zones will despawn your loot?), you can always hop back up a floor if things look dicey.

That advice about Trollmire 4 is good in general: if a door gives you a warning, take it seriously. Those are vaults, and they can mess up your day if you do them too early. The really gnarly early non-scripted vaults are in Kor'Pul and Rhaloren Camp.

The Graveyard is actually kind of funny, because waiting too long will probably make it harder in my experience. Rare Eternal Bone Giants are no joke! I'm not really sure what the sweet-spot is, aside from the fact that it will vary by class.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: March 25, 2015, 06:45:47 am »

For Last Hope Graveyard, Ruined Dungeon and Weirdling Beast I just dip into them somewhat early to force the game to generate it on a lower level and then come back when I'm a bit stronger. A bit scummy, but so is drowning civilians for easy exp, eh.

And I'd agree Crystals is usally easier than Rhaloren on normal.  Perhaps with the exception of those times when you spawn right next to the boss and have to juggle between chasing, killing all the crystals that pop up all the time around you and trying to dodge all the projectiles flying around.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 06:50:33 am by Uristides »

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: March 28, 2015, 07:17:22 pm »

I was running an Archmage for a little while that was nigh-on unkillable due to combinations of heavy regen and liberal use of conveyance spells. I eventually died when I ran out of mana mid-fight and the regen infusions weren't enough to save me.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: March 29, 2015, 09:29:09 am »

Entering last hope's graveyard early doesn't affect the level of the coffin rares. I once entered at level 1 on insane, then returned at level 30. The rares were level 59, while the boss was level 25. I usually do the graveyard around level 20-24, or I skip it. It's not too difficult if you deal with the rares individually before entering the boss room.

Anyway, I've been splatting PMs and TWs. The Spacetime Folding tree is fun.

Piotrhabera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: March 30, 2015, 03:34:56 pm »

I D NOT KNOW IF SREAPDING GOOD WORD OF TOME GIVE ME PREMIUM COINZ! Besudes ToME is a VERY GOOD game which has crossed all well.... levels of rougelike swesomness PLAY IT! (Unless you do not have 4 euro to spare for a DLC...)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: March 30, 2015, 04:38:39 pm »

1.3.1 (lots of bugfixes) was released yesterday
http://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2015/03/news/tales-majeyal-131-aka-forever-released

changelog
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: April 01, 2015, 10:55:41 am »

PTW. For some reason I was sure I was watching this thread but apparently it was just a random comment in an unrelated thread that mentioned the game.

So, how's modding? Anyone tried making a custom adventure? That's the part that interests me most about ToME, but I'm too lazy to start. I did manage to follow a sorta tutorial...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: April 01, 2015, 11:36:49 am »

There is some.

From what I understand, as a general thing what's involved is fairly painless as modding goes. You're still coding, with all that entails, but the engine is fairly powerful and comparatively easy enough to muck with, and the IRC active enough you can usually get a question answered sooner or later if you don't want to mess with the forums.

Key thing there is as modding goes, of course, but it is what it is. LUA's still coding, but it's not as bad as it could be, and there's a lot of examples of various stuff in the game and mod-stuff already to crib code from.
Ask not!
Ask!

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: April 01, 2015, 11:38:01 am »

So, how's modding? Anyone tried making a custom adventure? That's the part that interests me most about ToME, but I'm too lazy to start. I did manage to follow a sorta tutorial...

Depends if you're asking about things that modify the ToME campaign or want to go wholly original with the content/storyline.

If the latter, look no further: Veins of the Earth thread

EDIT: Seconding the crib code comment. That's how I started.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: April 01, 2015, 12:20:45 pm »

Haha, sorry, I should have been more specific. I know there are custom games, I should have asked if anybody here was trying/tried to make one, or even had the intent.

Depends if you're asking about things that modify the ToME campaign or want to go wholly original with the content/storyline.

If the latter, look no further: Veins of the Earth thread

EDIT: Seconding the crib code comment. That's how I started.

Nice, I didn't know Veins was a ToME module, I'll certainly be following it now.

Yep, I'm talking about original campaigns. Extra points for making it non-Tolkieny. Back in the old days there were a couple of projects with mecha or zombies but they didn't get anywhere.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: April 04, 2015, 02:23:00 pm »

Funny you mention moving away from Tolkien. If you step back a few generations, Maj'Eyal used to be Middle Earth, the town near the Trollmire was Bree, and the forest was where Old Man Willow was. It was changed early in TE4's development.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: April 04, 2015, 09:08:49 pm »

Yeah, I'm aware it used to be called Tales of Middle Earth.

It wasn't changed that early tho, just when they made the change to drop ASCII and stuff.

When I say "non-Tolkieny" I don't mean literally Tolkien, but stereotypical fantasy worlds with elves and spells and stuff. D&D style stuff.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: April 04, 2015, 09:11:47 pm »

Heh. Well, technically ToME did start off in a sci-fi setting, back when it was pernangband :V

... though yeah, there hasn't really been much development of sci-fi stuff on the T-Engine, to date. Maybe in the future...
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 163