Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 467699 times)

nearlyNonexistent

• Bay Watcher
  • "What for, robbery?"
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #2130 on: April 12, 2015, 01:06:51 am »

So... it's stuck at 0%. I've looked up as many search terms as I can, any idea how to get the thing to install?
Famous for stupidity and humor.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: April 12, 2015, 04:02:39 am »

I just use the archived downloads, not the installer.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: April 12, 2015, 06:05:42 am »

Yeah, I've never actually managed to get the installer/updater to work, personally. Best bet is probably to run it in admin mode, if you're not already, but it may just not ruddy work on your computer.

Steam version or the .zip is the way to go, though. Both painless (well, barring the minor wallet impact with the former).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: April 12, 2015, 08:01:45 am »

The installer/updater will not work if you are trying to update the -nomusic version. However, it saves a lot of time when updating. I used to grab the nomusic zips, but bit the bullet sometime around 1.2.5 and switched over to the full zip, the updater means the update takes 5 minutes instead of half an hour of downloading everything afresh.

In related news, I succeeded in cloning DG's repository after two attempts (my net hung up in the middle of the first) and have made my first PR for the game engine itself :)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: April 12, 2015, 08:26:30 am »

I'll admit, I still get the occasional urge to make a genuine stripped down version of T4 that's nothing but ascii and maybe a few small generic particle effects. The actual game code is only like 40 megs, with the rest being graphical or musical frippery (that I, personally, mostly don't give a damn about). It'd be really nice to have a -nographicsormusic version.

More complicated than it looks on the tin, though, and the last couple of tries were beyond my skill and patience. One of these days, maybe...

E:

E2: And at level 165, dreadfell is finally complete. Time to roll all over the ambush.

E3: Level 187, finally eat a death. Died to a chronomancy using skeletal master archer that somehow managed to permanently clone itself, like, three times, and was managing to make dozens of turns pass for me without me able to do anything, but still doing damage to me. I think because talents were failing and block was on auto-use, heh.

E4: I shouldn't have gone back DX

E5: Wow, the infinite dungeon really is the gift that keeps on giving. Admittedly, I was doing the silly thing of clearing out a ID vault (some sort of greater undead thing, fairly sizable, secret doors and junk), but I just ran into the Greater Mummy Lord on ID 7. Character level 15. GML's at 33. Wheeeee.

I was doing so well, too... did eat a death early in the vault to a ruin banshee that killed me on the same turn I killed it, but managed to off another one without dying, as well as a couple of bone horrors and a sanguine, along with your standard greater undead sundries. Mostly cleared the place out, even. Time to run away, though~
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:03:22 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: April 16, 2015, 10:11:12 pm »

Just bought this a few days ago. I'm having quite a bit of fun as an Archmage who relies on spamming Flames + Manathrust + Lightning to kill all the things. Plus I found a reflection shielding rune thing in the Temporal Rift which, with my Aegis skills on, gives me ~600 points of damage absorption. Considering this is my second character, I'd say this is a success. Only died once, to the zero G area of the Temporal Rift[I drank some artifact potion which gave me an extra life].

Also, PTW
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: April 17, 2015, 10:54:03 am »

I've not tried a TriBeam Archmage.  I've heard they are pretty good.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: April 17, 2015, 10:56:58 am »

Archmages are pretty easy to play as long as you are disciplnied enough to keep some kind of shield on for all the time. Autouse helps here.

Oh, and get a decent amount of mana and way to deal with silence
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: April 17, 2015, 11:12:24 am »

Tribeam will entirely trivialize more or less the entire west, barring maybe the last zone or two (this isn't really saying much, since flame just by it-freaking-self can basically do that). Falls off pretty sharply after that point, though. Still does alright dakka, but way less than the mage can really put out, which is a notable problem as magi have a bit of a damage slump in the late-mid to early-end game (which is mostly irrelevant because mage survivability after the very early game is one of the best in the game).

Mind you, you also have basically no reason not to diversify beyond that. You don't really need more than one point in lightning, and no more in flame or manathrust than it takes for them to beam. Plenty of points to spread around after that.
Ask not!
Ask!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: April 17, 2015, 12:40:13 pm »

If i remember well, as it's been so long since i unlocked them, there are several goodies to unlock for the Archmages that makes them more awesome.

I don't remember what Archimages were like before i unlocked those goodies.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: April 21, 2015, 09:16:36 pm »

Just bought this a few days ago. I'm having quite a bit of fun as an Archmage who relies on spamming Flames + Manathrust + Lightning to kill all the things. Plus I found a reflection shielding rune thing in the Temporal Rift which, with my Aegis skills on, gives me ~600 points of damage absorption. Considering this is my second character, I'd say this is a success. Only died once, to the zero G area of the Temporal Rift[I drank some artifact potion which gave me an extra life].

^Yeah, he's dead. Got wrecked by the Master because I didn't have a physical Wild Infusion to deal with his freezing[Swapped it out for a mental one in the Daikara to combat snow giant confusion and forgot to switch it back]. Then played a Temporal Warden, who was kinda fun up until I decided to pick a fight with the Grand Corrupter[Damn his lifestealing abilities]. And now I'm a Paradox Mage, who is HELLA fun. Gravity Spike + Repulsion Blast on even huge vault rooms kill basically anything after a rotation or three. Plus rotations are easy if you hit a bunch of enemies with Temporal Bolt for the cooldowns. I've got an actual reliable stun[Stop], a way to get annoying bosses out of my face[Time Skip] and I'm pretty resistant to disables[Time Shield + Dimensional Shift]. Time Shield isn't nearly as good as Archmage shields for pure damage absorption, but them + a ridiculous Regeneration Infusion[~450 health over 5 turns] has been enough against most enemies thus far. And minor Paradox anomalies are more often beneficial then not. I've only died once, to a halfling slinger in a random encounter who silenced me and then did ~400 damage to me the next turn. All in all, I think I might actually have a chance against the Master this time. If not, there's still a whole bunch of races and classes I've unlocked that I haven't even played yet. This is like the only roguelike where I don't feel frustrated about dying. It just means I get to try something new.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: April 21, 2015, 09:58:41 pm »

The huge class/race combination list is definitely part of the appeal. You'll find something to like eventually, guaranteed.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: April 22, 2015, 03:22:27 am »

If playing a summoner is it worth getting some ranged weaponry such as a bow? I've played a summoner but she was really fragile so getting in close quarters was only for last resorts, would some ranged weaponry be a better choice?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: April 22, 2015, 03:32:26 am »

Summoners need mindstars for mindpower boosts. You never want to attack anything yourself, ever. At all. If something survives that wall of teeth and flesh and claws you hurled at it from around the corner, you should be running somewhere safe to rethink your strategy.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: April 22, 2015, 03:49:26 am »

I can't argue with that logic. I eventually was killed by the Horned Horror, it killed my drake, hydra and war-hound if I recall correctly but I was staying my distance and it only got me close to it with a talent of some sort.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 163