Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 464637 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #2265 on: March 10, 2017, 06:19:38 am »

Pretty doubtful, heh. Most folks that have actually played the game much like the tmog feature quite a bit. It's certainly one of the most elegant solutions to a high loot game I've personally seen, and that it has gameplay integration beyond getting gold is nice.

No clue if you still have to find it for the first time before it starts showing up on new characters, though. If you start and are wondering about where yo' chest is, just know it'll be around forever once you find it for the first time.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: March 10, 2017, 07:57:17 am »

Looks to be an exceptionally vague clue on the Stone Warden unlock at a glance?  Gone are the old days of just wandering into a bee tree to get a Summoner it seems...

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: March 10, 2017, 08:33:46 am »

Gotta say, really intrigued by the Possessor and would probably consider actually dropping money on this thing if not for the fact I'm pretty much incapable of playing it right now. Though after that glowing review above, not so sure...

Was trying to remember why I stopped playing this in the first place. Ended up stuck because I had a near-end-game character I took a break on, and didn't feel confident picking back up, but couldn't update without losing them... or something silly like that. :P

Fakeedit: Actually, it looks like the Steam version is currently on sale for a very reasonable 2 bucks. Any insight on whether the expansions/DLC/whatever those are are actually good and worthwhile? "Embers of Rage" costs as much as the first two things combined, so I might as well skip it for now if it's not awesome...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: March 10, 2017, 09:01:30 am »

Eh... ashes and embers have actual content -- the base thing just enables donator features, which other than the item vault (which can be helpful starting new characters or specialized builds, but is entirely unnecessary) and early access to possessors is entirely cosmetic.

Of the DLCs themselves, embers involves significantly more content. Ashes is a couple new classes, a race, some artifacts and enemies, and only one or two new areas and a passel of lore, the last added on to the main campaign. Embers is an entire new campaign (that's notably better constructed than the main, imo, especially from a lore perspective), three new classes, three new races, what amounts to a crafting system for item attachments, and a bucketload of new artifacts, on top of whatever else I'm forgetting. I'm not sure how awesome I'd call it (I certainly enjoy it quite a bit, myself, but awesome is rather subjective, heh), but it's definitely the better DLC by a pretty significant margin.

Not sure if getting just the DLCs open up donator content for you, unfortunately, though it doesn't look like it'd be something of a workaround on the steam version anyway. I'd probably recommend nabbing the 4.80 1-3 thing, if you were going to get dlcs. If you're not interested in either, or playing the thing on steam, you might be able to open up just donator stuff even cheaper just donating directly. Forget what the minimum donation is, if there is one.

E: Ah, yeah, had forgotten that... basically, my stance on the DLCs and donator status, is it's arguable enough it's worth the money just for that, that I probably wouldn't directly recommend them for their content. It's mostly pretty good content, just maybe not dosh good content. However, if you've enjoyed playing the game, and want to send T4/DG some monetary kudos for the good work, it's a pretty great way to do it and you get some nice extras for giving a project you enjoy a bit of money. So don't look at it as a question of whether they're worth the price, look at it as a question of whether you think floating the dev the cost is something you think worthwhile. If it is, then get them as a way to donate, and consider the added content a nice extra rather than your primary goal.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 09:25:49 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: March 10, 2017, 01:00:43 pm »

Yeah, I agree. The DLC's were mostly enjoyable (I hate with a passion how they portray the orc "point of view" in this series) but I played the free version so much I wanted to toss DarkGod some cash, then I continued playing enough that I felt it was justified to buy the other stuff.

Embers is pretty good and, also agreed, better constructed than Age, but you have to play an Orc or *spoilers* so. Ehhhhhhhh. Ashes is fun for a kind of "advanced start" and some new classes/race but it's not something I could recommend unless you already paid for the base game and just wanted to donate.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: March 10, 2017, 03:21:10 pm »

I've been trying out the new Archer, and I'm definitely not disappointed. Parrying melee attacks with arrows? Awesome. Silencing, crippling and disarming an enemy with a single talent? Awesome. Trick arrows, including explosive ones? Awesome. Pseudo-stealth that gives extra range and enables special attacks without a Mark and doesn't care if you're spotted and gives you evasion on top of Evasion? Awesome. And what's that, TW, you can fire three arrows at once? Yeah, I can fire my entire quiver in a single Volley.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 03:26:16 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: March 10, 2017, 07:26:57 pm »

Went ahead and bought the full pack for 5 bucks after all. I've probably spent easily 100+ hours on this game in years past, so it feels right to finally pay something for it...

So here's another question: Any way to transfer my unlocks/achievements from the standalone game to the Steam version?
I'm not sure I'd even want to, since it's been so long I wouldn't entirely mind starting from scratch... But having a choice in the matter would certanly be nice.

early access to possessors
Maybe I got the wrong idea, but I got the impression they were going to be donator-only indefinitely?
I really like the idea of Possessors because I really enjoy monster- and transformation-based classes... Even if it's got some issues, I'm looking forward to trying it out when I can play again.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: March 10, 2017, 07:57:57 pm »

You can link your te4.org account and your steam account, everything should transfer over. I did it, but it's been a while.

Possessors are the new donator class, like stone wardens used to be. Now stone wardens are a base class. Eventually possessors will become a base class and another class will be introduced as donator-only for a while.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: March 10, 2017, 08:08:29 pm »

So this is the one RL that I never really got into. It looks to have so much promise, but I find the engine clunky and messy, and I couldn't understand what I was supposed to be doing most of the time.

That was a long, long time ago though. Any tips for starting up/having fun?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: March 10, 2017, 09:40:55 pm »

Alchemist is a very good starter class... or used to be. Focus on boosting your golem (golemmancy + advanced golemmancy) and bombs (one damage tree)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: March 10, 2017, 10:14:03 pm »

Still is, yes. Don't bother with shockwave bomb (explosives tree is something like 5/5/5/0), make sure to upgrade bomb tier as you progress, and you'll probably do pretty decently. Remember you can take direct control of the golem and pilot it around corners, or have it open (vault) doors while you're as far away a possible.
Ask not!
Ask!

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: March 11, 2017, 07:48:10 am »

You can link your te4.org account and your steam account, everything should transfer over. I did it, but it's been a while.
Heh, never actually got around to making a te4.org account, despite playing for years...
Starting from scratch it is, then. :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: March 11, 2017, 07:55:02 am »

Eh, you can figure out where steam stores its unlock file and saves and just move stuff over. Shouldn't be that much of an issue.
Ask not!
Ask!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: March 11, 2017, 09:46:47 am »

I cleared the Room of Death.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: March 11, 2017, 09:55:37 am »

Heh, never actually got around to making a te4.org account, despite playing for years...
Starting from scratch it is, then. :P

I think a new te4.org account will pick up any local achievements you have.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 163