Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 467454 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 05:24:25 am »

A certain degree of inbreeding isn't necessarily bad per se. After all, it's routinedly done with livestock, and European royalty did it with few noticeable ill effects ok, scratch that last one.

I swear I like the elves better. Even the Rhaloren seem less condescending than these would-be ubermenschen.

On eq: strictly speaking, those don't qualify as magic users, I think. You can learn antimagic with them.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 06:22:24 am »

The rhaloren aren't that bad, really, as T4 factions go. I mean, they're not good, and they've got heavy ties with the corruptors (which isn't, quite, necessarily bad, but it's not good, either.), but they don't seem to be entirely terrible. The player ends up doing worse than they probably ever will, really.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Highers aren't magic users, no, but they're touched by magic... which generally isn't the best of things, or at least has the potential to go south :P All the extra-normal power sources in T4 have been shown to go tits-up pretty easily. At least stamina's stuck with normal violence and murder, heh.

The only ones that can go AM are EQ, stamina, hate, and psi users. If you've got access to any other resource before you hit the world map for the first time, you won't even be able to see Zigur, much less join.

Not that joining up with the Ziguranth is a sign of anything even remotely good. Genocidal racist/misogynist child torturers, they are, among other atrocities. Mind you, what they're nominally going against (magic users) aren't much better (Hey guys, let's break the world!), but th'Zig folks are pretty sickening. I'll take my reckless advance of power (mages, corruptors, etc) over them any day of th'week.

As long as I'm not doing a challenge run, anyway :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 06:35:52 am »

They are basically better-than-thou humans. They're not really interested in being a ruling-class type thing, if the racial talent fluff is anything to go by, but they're apparently good at it. They're also probably inbred to a certain degree, but that doesn't necessarily have negative consequences for them (magic!). It probably would for the cornac humans. ... and of course, highers are still human, if with some odd quirks, with all that entails, and not the Thalore. That means they've probably screwed up something or other in the past, or are currently screwing up something or other in the present, or at least have a few of their members doing stuff-you-should-get-killed-for.

The magical ability in highers is unnatural, which is why all of them are inbred. I think it was gained by a bunch cornac mages trying to copy the shaloren. Highers tend to be scholars and mages in lore.

Cornacs are regular humans. They do regular stuff.
Shaloren are elves that somehow live forever using magic. All of them are spell casters.
Thaloren are basically forest elves. They're loners who hunt and sell stuff to dwarves.
Yeeks are goofy looking yetis. They used to be secret slaves, until they unlocked their power and escaped.
Halfings are militant slaver midgets. They're either warmongers or mad scientists in lore. They enslaved two races already. Definitely the biggest assholes in the game.
Dwarves... are dwarves.  :P
Orcs are fantasy Klingons. Orcs are considered to be nearly mindless beasts by humans and halflings, despite being able to talk, write, and cast spells. ??? They were enslaved by halfings, until they revolted. The yeeks ran from Maj'Eyal, but these guys wanted revenge. Sadly, they were nearly wiped out.
The most awesome character in lore was an orc. 8)

Edit: Didn't see that post..

The rhaloren aren't that bad, really, as T4 factions go. I mean, they're not good, and they've got heavy ties with the corruptors (which isn't, quite, necessarily bad, but it's not good, either.), but they don't seem to be entirely terrible. The player ends up doing worse than they probably ever will, really.

Highers aren't magic users, no, but they're touched by magic... which generally isn't the best of things, or at least has the potential to go south :P All the extra-normal power sources in T4 have been shown to go tits-up pretty easily. At least stamina's stuck with normal violence and murder, heh.

The only ones that can go AM are EQ, stamina, hate, and psi users. If you've got access to any other resource before you hit the world map for the first time, you won't even be able to see Zigur, much less join.

Not that joining up with the Ziguranth is a sign of anything even remotely good. Genocidal racist/misogynist child torturers, they are, among other atrocities. Mind you, what they're nominally going against (magic users) aren't much better (Hey guys, let's break the world!), but th'Zig folks are pretty sickening. I'll take my reckless advance of power (mages, corruptors, etc) over them any day of th'week.

As long as I'm not doing a challenge run, anyway :P

The Rhaloren think the corruption caused by the Spellblaze is beautiful, so they're more crazy than evil. Magic users didn't intend for the Spellblaze to happen, but they were losing against the orcs. They were desperate. Basically, everything was the halflings' fault. Enslaved two sentient races, caused countless wars, and killed the true hero of the story, Garkul.  :P
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 06:44:11 am by Dr.Feelgood »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2011, 07:29:33 am »

Okay is there any trick to playing a Yeek? Sure I have the mind control ability thing, but if any creature so much as lightly caresses my face I explode into a thousand pieces.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 08:55:34 am »

Okay is there any trick to playing a Yeek? Sure I have the mind control ability thing, but if any creature so much as lightly caresses my face I explode into a thousand pieces.

Haven't played in a long time, but I had decent luck with a Yeek Monk. Because monk abilities are so dependant on skill points and levelling up, and yeeks level quickly (if they survive), I could have a pretty decent yeek-fu fighter quickly. The trick is just learning to survive those first couple of levels, taking five minutes to play hit-and-run with a large brown snake or something similar.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 10:46:00 am »

Playing a skeleton alchemist. I unlocked skeletons manually because I did not feel like undergoing the annoying skeleton unlock quest again. Yeah, I know it's plot-necessary. Whatever. I wanted to mess with a skeletal alchie now, not once I've built my archmage from scratch and completed said quest.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 02:06:14 pm »

I seem to have the hardest time unlocking anything...as soon as I get close I die from some off the wall random moment

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 02:50:23 pm »

Haven't played in a long time, but I had decent luck with a Yeek Monk[...]

Wrong ToME :P

Yeek brawlers work about same way, though, since brawlers' base damage scales with level a bit, and yeeks have good cunning/alright dex, so they can run a finesse/pugilism build decently. It's a right pain getting a yeek brawler off the starting island if you don't find a decent set of ego'd gloves, though, and more than a little nuisance getting out even if you do.

Dwarves... are dwarves.  :P

Hyper-greedy dwarves that dug too deep. Can't forget that. The dwarves left in the game are basically sitting on top of a hellbreached fortress. Except instead of HFS you get cthulhunoid horrors, though fortunately the lesser versions.

Orcs are fantasy Klingons. Orcs are considered to be nearly mindless beasts by humans and halflings, despite being able to talk, write, and cast spells. ???

Don't forget perform hyper-advanced fantasy biology! The non-steampunk orcs (the steampunk orcs we know basically nothing about, so far, except that Word of God says they exist) produced a fellow that was capable of performing incredible feats of formshaping/gene manipulation and basically save his species. There were some issues involved, but...

... but yeah. Orcs have produced among the most impressive characters in the fluff, so far. You really get a feel for this when you go up against a particular critter in the game who Garkul basically headbutt to death. Said critter is probably going to kick your ass seven ways 'till sunday, especially in the latest beta.
Ask not!
Ask!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2011, 07:42:26 pm »

Ok, level 6 in Korpul's ruins, with De Rais, my undead alchemist. I'm following advice given in this thread.
http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=27528

and boosting bombs over other stuff. I maxed throw bomb, and am considering whether maxing fire infusion is worth it or storing the points for something else and going straight to max cold infusion...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2011, 07:50:16 pm »

If you're going infusions, go acid/cold, in that order. Blind is more useful than freezing, generally. Just make sure protection and explosion expert are maxed before putting too much into the infusions (just one point into acid is good enough for a while).

Note that the advice in that thread is somewhat outdated now that golem power and resilience have been boosted -- an svn run of an alchie (between b31 and b32) had a max resilience golem being very hard to kill, even up 'til Reknor and beyond. A few of the golem's own talents were boosted, too, though pound is currently buggy. Still, golem is definitely less dead weight than it was (and it wasn't before, it just wunnit doing enough heavy lifting.).
Ask not!
Ask!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2011, 08:02:39 pm »

Hmmm.. worth considering. And worth considering going for skeleton talents before furthering stone alchemy, too. I've found bone shield to be awesome.

As for golems vs bombs: I'll bear that in mind. I was considering focusing on golems (and in fact I have a golem-ish cornac stashed away) but that thread turned me off, so I stashed it in favor of my current skeletal alchemist. I might increase golem just the same. I don't know. On one hand, my battle with Korpul ended up with my golem dead. On the other, when K came after me he had maybe 5% life left. so it might well be worth it to focus on golems. The problem is that, indeed, you can end up defenseless if the golem dies. Maybe I'll walk the middle road. I put three points in extract gems mostly because of wanting to gather enough to buy decent stuff. I dont at present care that much for imbue item. And I don't like the infusions very much, so I might as well invest a point in resilience every now and then, until I get to frost infusions.

I've not had good experiences with acid infusion. I find it blinds rather infrequently :/
That's why I dont like infusions very much

ALso: a footnote: I'm boosting the arcane path in the golem. I like it better than the pound talents and such
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 08:08:33 pm by ChairmanPoo »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2011, 08:11:14 pm »

All the status-inflicting infusions trigger sorta' rarely. Further, blind is more heavily resisted in the early game than the late, while stunning (which is what resists freeze) resistance is more prolific in the late than the early game. So acid infusion is better than cold infusion, but cold infusion helps more early on. You'll definitely want two infusions by the end game, though, if only so you can murder wretchlings (wretchlings! *fist shake*), which are immune to acid.

Golem survivability is massively improved once you pick up supercharge, which insta-resurrects the golem and gives it a hefty regen and damage boost. The effect is further boosted by the innit +50% healmod you get from 5/5 resilience.

Eventually (if you're a bit lucky), you'll find Wozzname's Rock (disclaimer: Not actually named Wozzname. Starts with a G) and possibly get ahold of the lifebinding emerald, and stick the both of them in the golem (either in the eyes or imbuing one of them into the golem's armor -- the third potential gem will be a pearl) for an additional 80% healmod. Between that and the resilience healmod, you'll have a golem that has some damned impressive healing capabilities and is tremendously hard to kill.
Ask not!
Ask!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2011, 08:38:12 pm »

So I shouldn't max resilience then, and save the points for the advanced golemmancy tree?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2011, 08:46:39 pm »

Max resilience is good :P It makes supercharge's regen more powerful. It's the latter two basic golemancy talents you probably don't need more than one talent in, and 1-2 points into golem power is plenty.

Advanced golem tree is useful for runic, gemming, and supercharge. Lifetap can save yer arse occasionally, but it's not terribly useful in a more general sense.
Ask not!
Ask!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2011, 09:32:32 pm »

I've been having a hard time getting a cursed charecter off the ground, is there a trick to it? I always seem to inevitably lose all my hate and then get murdered. I realize they're supposed to be hard to start up but I dunno if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm just getting whomped by the RNG.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 163