Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 467064 times)

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #915 on: January 31, 2013, 11:49:49 am »

Temporal Rift with a melee character is pretty suicidal. Movement Speed of everything is greatly reduced, so even taking one step means your enemies can attack you several times from afar.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:55:02 am by Chosrau »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: January 31, 2013, 11:54:12 am »

Maybe I should try the Temporal Rift. My one previous attempt was instadeath, but my brawler dude is lvl 25.

Heh. I had a level 20ish Dwarf... Cursed I think? try that place after an earlier character got through without much problem. Hadn't died up until then but wasted every single life I had except for the last. >_>
I've left it for later on characters since.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: January 31, 2013, 12:06:26 pm »

Well crap. Suggestions? Last Hope Graveyard seems like a bad idea, although if I take on the crypts individually, I should be able to beat even greater undead into submission, mano-a-corpseo.

Oh, I suppose I need to go find the Ring of Blood. Place like that is right up my alley, being mostly physical and melee. Not a whole lot to grind though.

Peeked into the elven ruins, but yeah...way over my level. Killed a handful of things then got out while the getting was good.

I *think* the Caldera is available, but according to the Wiki that's a beefier zone than Dreadfell is. I really want to get a character to the East so I can unlock anorithils and sun paladins.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: January 31, 2013, 12:11:30 pm »

You could always do some Farportal runs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: January 31, 2013, 12:13:30 pm »

Temporal Rift with a melee character is pretty suicidal. Movement Speed of everything is greatly reduced, so even taking one step means your enemies can attack you several times from afar.
Which is largely why you don't move, or if you do, it's via stuff like rush. Temporal Rift's actually not that bad with melee, you just have to be quite careful about positioning and largely let the elementals come to you. And not try to fight more than one or two at a time, really. Once you're past the initial time!E gauntlet, it's a bit less tetchy (until you hit the twins, anyway. They can mess you up if you're not careful. Stay in the little starting corridor, if you can manage it.).

Alternately you can go in with a couple sources of teleportation (double rune, maybe psychoport or whatever) and hopefully a movement infusion and just teleport around until you land close enough to the exit to make a dash for it.

But yeah, movement speed is cut to a third (not by a third, to) and there's some other stuff going on (iirc, projectiles are slowed, too), so you do have to be really, really careful about when you move and where you move to. Unless you've got a ridiculous amount of move speed, I guess...

Well crap. Suggestions? Last Hope Graveyard seems like a bad idea, although if I take on the crypts individually, I should be able to beat even greater undead into submission, mano-a-corpseo.

Oh, I suppose I need to go find the Ring of Blood. Place like that is right up my alley, being mostly physical and melee. Not a whole lot to grind though.

Peeked into the elven ruins, but yeah...way over my level. Killed a handful of things then got out while the getting was good.

I *think* the Caldera is available, but according to the Wiki that's a beefier zone than Dreadfell is. I really want to get a character to the East so I can unlock anorithils and sun paladins.
Ring of blood isn't really an XP joint, per se. It's mostly there for the awesome ring. 25 should be fine for starting to duck into dreadfell, but... yeah, you've got problems with that. Could try to clear out the ruined dungeon if not already done so, but i hear it's turned nasty recently so... maybe not. Caldera definitely didn't seem beefier than dreadfell (finally got a damn character that spawned it, yesterday), but it does have its (somewhat annoying) gimmick. Graveyard's eternally iffy. If the RNG doesn't decide to screw you, you're fine. If the RNG does decide to screw you, you're stuck in a small room with a murderbeast.

Maybe do a farportal run or try to nibble on a few adventurer parties?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: January 31, 2013, 12:29:06 pm »

Yeah, already waxed the ruined dungeon. Farportal ruins it is, then. Oh, and Ring of Blood just for the why the heck not. I mean, he's a brawler..he kind of owes it to himself to go check it out.  :P

Might check out the Caldera then, see if i can unlock Solipsists. Don't know that I'm going to be able to beat Dreadfell with zero lives left, especially when the RNG has already screwed me so bad in there.

EDIT: Bah...the Caldera proved to be my undoing. Stupid "fragile mouse" dream.

Okay, new run...Yeek Archmage foucing on Arcane/Aether/Earth/Conveyance. Used the recall trick to delay having to fight Subject Z until beefier. Plan is to use a combination of Phase Door/Teleport and Stone Wall.

My idea is to target Stone Wall around the Wayist. If Z can't see him, he can't target him. Then Manathrust and Aether Breach Z into oblivion quickly. One thing I'm worried is that somehow targeting the Wayist with Stone Wall will trigger him hostile?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 09:09:48 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: February 01, 2013, 03:49:42 pm »

I just started a Yeek solipsist. Easy mode, I know, but still, they're fun. Murdol lair, 2 yeach hunters, 3 squids, 2 eels, and a mindslayer in the first room. So, I leave. Head to Ritch Tunnels. Suddenly

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BANZAI
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: February 01, 2013, 04:37:10 pm »

Suddenly:

Mind sear!

And they all die. But yeah :P Point in thought forged critters early on really helps yeek solipsists, by the way. They don't exactly need it, but a meat shield you can mind sear through makes getting off the island even more of a breeze.

In related yeek news, my yeekzerker has surpassed Amatathon in accuracy and physical power... at level 32. Doesn't hit as hard, obviously (Amat's got that delightful +80% all damage, among other things), but it's pretty darn hilarious anyway. Yeekzerkers are just kinda' beautiful, so far~

No clue what to invest my prodigy in, though. Just kinda' sitting on it, at the moment. Gonna' get some kit together and a few more levels for stats and see what else I can qualify for.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:38:47 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: February 01, 2013, 04:43:59 pm »

Welp, there goes another Archmage.

This one made it all the way till the dark crypt, pausing only to get instagibbed three times in the halfling ruins [one time to a random skeleton warrior, twice to Subject Z], and die once in the attack on Zigur and twice to Wretchlings, at least according to the game log, which hit me 142 305 times for 20 damage apiece in a single turn.

I went arcane/aether this time, just for a change. It still feels like I do no damage. By this point even my sun paladin was hitting for 400+ with assault and crusade, and he definitely didn't slouch over after a single hit from a skeleton. Arcane Explosions, or whatever it's actually called, is a great spell, really fun to use, but it does about as much damage total as a single turn in Inferno, and the rest of the arcane spells are horrible. Not to mention they are also short-ranged, for some reason?

I dunno, maybe I should drop the DCSS mindset of "nuke 'em all", but if I do, why the hell am I even playing a squishy caster?

So yeah, I'm apparently really bad at Tome casters. I'd try a skeleton, but...40% exp penalty  :'(
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: February 01, 2013, 05:17:28 pm »

In case you find the adventure mode too easy, go to the infinite dungeon mode.
It's hilarious how insanely hard it can be suddenly.

My best attempt was with a dwarf bulwark in which i reached the level 30 (nice thing is that each 10 levels you learn more about the lore), but the majority of my attempts get killed much earlier.

In any case avoid vaults and treasure chests at all cost !
They're very tempting considering you find much less items than in adventure mode and as you levelup faster you're always ending with a nice leveled character but really crappy equipment.

But Infinite Dungeon vaults and treasure chests spawning uniques are going to kill your character much more than they do in Adventure mode (probably due to your equipment being so much worse than what you have at +/- equal level in adventure mode, meaning you have a lot less resistances, less armor and less defenses).

And when you think you're doing good, keep in mind that Infinite mode can have you entering in a big room with several uniques or bosses next to you.

On my last game, i arrived in a room with the Shade (from the Kor'Pul dungeon) , the Spellblaze Crystal (from Scintillating caves) and an unique wolf (random unique) dealing high damaging lightning (on my character that had found no lightning res item), basically it was just insta killing my character as soon as he arrived.

Completely crazy :D

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: February 02, 2013, 01:00:23 am »

Suddenly:

Mind sear!

And they all die. But yeah :P Point in thought forged critters early on really helps yeek solipsists, by the way. They don't exactly need it, but a meat shield you can mind sear through makes getting off the island even more of a breeze.
I did end up switching out points for mind sear, though, I don't want to keep it so will have to make sure to take it out every level. Can you actually mind sear through thought forged and not hurt them? Didn't realize that.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: February 02, 2013, 06:39:25 pm »

Ugh this paradox mage is making me want to punch myself furiously in the nose, possibly with something sharp and metal strapped to my hand.

I just lost both the wayist and a life to paradox failures and backfires, because if you're gonna die to random bullshit you might as well die to the randomest, right guys?

I was fighting a doombringer in a small room above the section of the level Subject Z and the wayist are. My paradox gets quite high since the doombringer has decent hp and resists, so when I attempt to finish him off the god damn wayist and Z, along with some hostile gnomes for good measure, teleport on top of me and of course Z instagibs the Wayist as he tends to do.

And I don't even know how I died, except it involved The Fractured Essence of Wots-his-face and Urkis in the Tempest peak, along with a paradox level of nearly 1500 [48% failure rate], my slow backfiring and dropping on my head, living through a fight with both of them with about 20 hp left and ... well no idea what else. It was kind of frantic. In the end a paradox teleported me right back into the two of them. I didn't foresee a death before The Master, too, the way things were usually going. Oh well.

Man, paradox management has gotten tedious since I last played. It's not rare to have my wait for my paradox to go down after the fight last three or four times as long as the fight itself. Still the most fun caster, but hell.

Edit : Nope! Went and stuck my god damn face in the temporal rift. Two deaths!

Aaand two more in the dark crypt. I'm done.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 07:35:02 pm by Graven »
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: February 02, 2013, 07:59:16 pm »

Suddenly:

Mind sear!

I did end up switching out points for mind sear, though, I don't want to keep it so will have to make sure to take it out every level. Can you actually mind sear through thought forged and not hurt them? Didn't realize that.
No, unless it was changed, mind sear hurts them as well. It isn't that big of a deal though, and hitting them once or twice with it might do some decent damage to them, but they are pretty tanky so they can handle it.
They can ignore sleep though (once you get them the ability that gives them lucid dreaming), which is quite useful.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: February 02, 2013, 09:06:55 pm »

Suddenly:

Mind sear!

No, unless it was changed, mind sear hurts them as well. It isn't that big of a deal though, and hitting them once or twice with it might do some decent damage to them, but they are pretty tanky so they can handle it.
They can ignore sleep though (once you get them the ability that gives them lucid dreaming), which is quite useful.

Mind Sear doesn't affect thought-forms.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: February 02, 2013, 09:12:40 pm »

Yeah, that was a fairly recent change. More specifically, any and all mind damage you deal out (at least via solip talents, dunno about other sources) won't hurt your thought-forged critters. I think if it's a projectile it can still smack into them (but deal no damage. I don't actually recall if solips have any bolt mind damage, though), but AoE stuff you don't have to worry about.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 163