Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 466962 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #975 on: February 14, 2013, 11:56:13 am »

The Old Forest is a tier 2 dungeon, if you have enemies there that are much higher level than your character, it's very likely because you went there too early.
Here's a good page about the dungeons levels so you can see which ones to visit and which ones to avoid according to your level :
http://te4.org/wiki/zones

edit :
For the exploration, ToME4 feature similarly to DCSS an autoexplore key ( Z or W depending on your keyboard) , it cuts all the boring part in which nothing happens when going in a dungeon.

For the class/race combo, some of them are powerfull, some not so much, and there are those that are very hard to play (as in you're going to die a very lot even in your starting dungeons), by example :

A Dwarf Bulwark is a very good and interesting combo, accessible to beginner they're strong and you feel it is one that is very balanced for the whole game from start to high end.
A Yeek Bulwark is going to die a lot in the starter dungeon , that's a very weak combo, you really want to challenge yourself (or you like to lose characters) to play this one :D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 12:06:01 pm by Robsoie »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: February 14, 2013, 12:02:38 pm »

I had my first win on an alchemist last night. Here's what I did:
http://te4.org/characters/31725/tome/e679ac55-caff-4fee-a162-a68af9ab8b7f

You can mouseover gear to see what late game is like. Two of the deaths were from impatience (though one of those was me getting hit for 1100 damage in a turn by a chrono-necro-cryomancer boss) and one was from simply being worn down in the last fight.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: February 14, 2013, 12:07:16 pm »

Man I want to resist playing another character because I have to go back2uni in a week, and I'll have nothing else to do a whole semestre [well, apart from looking for a job, but hey, who needs money], but god damn if I don't want to win an arcane blade. All those delicious explosions and damages!

Also gratz Darkmere! What are you planning on playing next?
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: February 14, 2013, 12:41:39 pm »

I've tried this game and had the most luck with an alchemist. There's a pretty nifty combo if you start as a Cornac, with Heat and Smoke bomb, it gives you a massive area of damage over time. The golem is also very useful for tanking while you deal damage from behind. Other classes were kinda weak in comparison.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: February 14, 2013, 01:33:21 pm »

Also gratz Darkmere! What are you planning on playing next?

Why thank you!  :D

I have a Shalore Corrupter and Higher Arcane Blade going (when I'm too tired/distracted to focus, I start alts). I'll probably stick with the arcane blade as a 2h user just to do something different. I really like everything I've played except plain archers, so I'm sure I'll get to everything eventually. Hopefully it gets steam approval so I can try stone wardens, too.

I've tried this game and had the most luck with an alchemist. There's a pretty nifty combo if you start as a Cornac, with Heat and Smoke bomb, it gives you a massive area of damage over time. The golem is also very useful for tanking while you deal damage from behind. Other classes were kinda weak in comparison.

They're certainly strong, but lack in late-game versatility, unless the RNG is kind and you get fun charms to play with. I had trouble keeping focused once I finished my kit and every fight was "auto-explore, bomb crits a room for 2k damage, auto-explore".
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: February 14, 2013, 07:43:12 pm »

Blargh, I made it to High Peak and now I can't play because I get deathspammed by error messages.

Something about "Not equipped with real weapon" or something.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: February 15, 2013, 12:43:21 pm »

Guyze, need help.

My most advanced character, a level 25 templar warden (archer with a focus on mobility and self heals), just finished dreadthingy and was ambushed by a fuckton of orcs. I won by an hair's breadth by spamming absoutely everything, healing myself with the arena ring and the higher human power, teleporting around and shortening cooldowns, etc.

My point is, there is no fucking way any of my other characters will be able to do this. How the hell am I going to do this with them? For instance, my wyrm guy has no mobility and will be turned into paste by the leader orc in seconds.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: February 15, 2013, 12:49:59 pm »

That's the entire point of the ambush and the achievement you get for surviving it - it's the unlikely outcome, so you've achieved something :P
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: February 15, 2013, 12:56:55 pm »

That's the entire point of the ambush and the achievement you get for surviving it - it's the unlikely outcome, so you've achieved something :P

Oh. So if I die it's no biggie?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: February 15, 2013, 01:05:28 pm »

You get  the normal story progression, since they beat you up and take something, they don't kill you. If you survive the ambush everything remains functionally the same.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a bit dumb, honestly.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: February 15, 2013, 01:57:04 pm »

If you kill the leader, then lose they won't spare you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: February 18, 2013, 08:25:33 am »

Made a Yeek Paradox Mage, and noticed that at some point I seem to have broken the game. I just don't take damage any more.  ???

I mean, I was building him kind of tanky (which is WTF with a Yeek, I know) -- had 5 points in Carbon Spikes, 5 in Energy Decomposition, 3 in Entropic Field and 1 in Armour Training so I could wear better range of boots/gloves/helms. But I knew something was going on when Wrathroot iceblocked me for 0 damage. Then I noticed that EVERYTHING was hitting me for 0 damage. I'm not entirely complaining, because hey now I can unlock a bunch of things. Just trying to figure out what I did that broke the damage calculations.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: February 18, 2013, 08:41:19 am »

It's a known bug. I believe it can occur when you double-die, so to say - a single attack kills you and kills you again - but I'm not really sure since it's never happened to me and people usually don't figure out it happened until later, so they don't notice the event itself.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: February 18, 2013, 08:59:08 am »

It's a known bug. I believe it can occur when you double-die, so to say - a single attack kills you and kills you again - but I'm not really sure since it's never happened to me and people usually don't figure out it happened until later, so they don't notice the event itself.
AHA. Yes, that did happen to me. Died, and then died again on the Eidolon Plane in the same turn. Wasn't quite sure WTF that was all about, but I just assumed it was a peril of being a Paradox Mage or something to do with having been killed by my future self (though that wasn't actually what double-killed me).

Good to know. And it does appear that I can take some damage from certain spell effects (maybe those "lose 1/4 of your life" sort of things), but it's relatively modest amounts. It's rather amusing walking aroud smacking everything with a staff and being a Yeek badass.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: February 18, 2013, 11:44:05 am »

I ended up abandoning a successful Skeleton Archer that got hit with that bug, since I didn't want to cheat. :P
From my attempts to fix it in game, I can confirm that you can still take damage from attacking yourself, and killing yourself again does nothing to fix the bug.

(Enjoy the image of a skeleton shooting himself fatally in the head with an arrow)
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 163