Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 464658 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« on: March 01, 2011, 04:57:39 am »

After doing a quick search, I did not find any topic yet dedicated to this little jewel of a game.
After a long period of inactivity, the Tome community has been revived last year, and Darkgod has coded a whole new roguelike engine, the T-4 engine.
Since then, there have been over 20 beta releases of Tome4: Tales of Maj'Eyal. The name was changed during the releases, about a half year ago, abolishing the Tolkien naming and setting to be replaced with a unique new world, with it's own history, important figures, and artefacts.

The game is set, like it's predecessor Tome2, on a huge continent, with multiple quests and (procedurally generated) dungeons spread over it. Some are always visible, but a lot of those dungeons have to be found by exploring. The late-game takes you to a second continent.

Tome4 offers an innovative approach to roguelike gaming; there are no potions, no scrolls. Those have been replaced with 'infusions' and 'runes', which can be placed into a limited amount of slots. Also, most items cannot be sold. This eliminates the endless hoarding / itemscumming for items, potions and scrolls, and adds a tactical element to the game. Beware, monsters can use runes and infusions as well. In general, the programmer's intent is to eliminate scumming, and general repetitiveness from the game where possible, in favour of gameplay.

There is an abundance of races and classes, some of which need to be unlocked by doing certain things ingame.
The classes are wonderfully fleshed out, each having their own unique skill- and talent trees, giving each class a real distinct feel, adding to the replayability. There are some general, overlapping trees as well.

Tome4 also offers 5 difficulty settings; the 4th, 'roguelike' is the most classical approach: 1 life, death is permanent. (Except, there are 2 items in game that can give you an extra life, and some classes / races have special talents for life saving)
The easier modes give the player more lives. This deviates from the accepted definition of a roguelike, but offers some leniency to those players who find permadeath too harsh. The 5th, hardest mode is meant for those of use who like BDSM. Harder monsters, weaker player.

Tome4 has been chosen 'Ascii Dreams Roguelike of the Year 2010'. I say, well deserved. Out of it's slumber, the Tome series has risen with a masterfully crafted sequel.

download: http://tome.te4.org
forums: http://forums.te4.org
wiki: http://te4.org/wiki/tome4
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 05:50:57 am »

Hmm... I had give up on ToME after beta three, maybe I'll try it again.

Is the old game still available, it seems like ever since they started their own engine it has just disappeared.  :(
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 07:32:03 am »

You mean Tome 2?
Dunno.. I still have it on my pc, never needed to redownload.
But it should be available online still, I'd think...
Searching... Hold on....
Ah. Try this link:
http://www.furytech.net/tech/angband-mirror/tome/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:00:51 am »

If I can pull myself out of the other games I am in to right now I will give this a spin. I really like the look of the t4, and I think the spell effects are a nice touch.

I liked the older TOMEs, I think I spent the most time playing 2. The only problem I had with it was the lay out of the world, but that's middle earth for you..stuff is really spread out
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:18:10 am »

Nice on paper but unplayable with my computer. The screen keeps being focused underneath my character, so I can't even see my @, impossible to play. I tried changing graphics options etc, but nothing helps. A huge resource hog too. A shame.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 11:03:13 am »

Apparently, though i have not tested it yet myself, but a solution have been found for all those horrible engine stuttering and barely playable heavy slowdown.
It's not implemented in the current beta20 (but you can do it yourself) and will more likely be a part of the next beta.
Ok people who have lags can you please try that:
Edit the file game/loader/pre-init.lua and add
Code: [Select]
collectgarbage("setpause",100)
collectgarbage("setstepmul",400)
collectgarbage("restart")

at the top of it

Then run the game and see how it feels
From the thread about the problem, people have been reporting it working perfectly.

Finally and hopefully, the greatness of this game system should not be crippled by those very very bad performance anymore.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 11:33:29 am »

Apparently, though i have not tested it yet myself, but a solution have been found for all those horrible engine stuttering and barely playable heavy slowdown.
It's not implemented in the current beta20 (but you can do it yourself) and will more likely be a part of the next beta.
Ok people who have lags can you please try that:
Edit the file game/loader/pre-init.lua and add
Code: [Select]
collectgarbage("setpause",100)
collectgarbage("setstepmul",400)
collectgarbage("restart")

at the top of it

Then run the game and see how it feels
From the thread about the problem, people have been reporting it working perfectly.

Finally and hopefully, the greatness of this game system should not be crippled by those very very bad performance anymore.

You're a life saver, there. Or at least a game saver.
Anyway, I always look forward to the next ToME4 update, because the classes are fun as it is, but there's always more to be added. I was a little sad when they took out Pyromancer and Cryomancer because now everyone wants to beat the game as a godly Archmage.

Anyway T4 is really not much like the older ToME games. There's some artifacts of them still in there but the presentation makes in seem much newer, and more modern.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 12:37:56 pm »

Doesn't ToME have a REALLY REALLY horrible dataloss problem or something?

That is the reason I never picked up the 4th.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 01:09:49 pm »

We already have several TOME4 threads and the creator tracks the original thread.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57203

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 06:20:20 pm »

I am not sure I like a game that cheats me out of the Archmage class for no reason.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 06:54:50 pm »

I prefered version 2.34. I can't find it now, only this laggy POS  :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 04:46:59 pm »

Necro for latest version release, b32! The release announcement and download page.

Highlights include two new classes, talent icons, and a drastic loading time improvement for most users, along with a whole slew of other stuff. T4's coming along nicely, yeah.

Spoiler: Full Changelog (click to show/hide)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 05:03:23 pm »

loved tome skill and experience gaining system. but I'm sad about the setting change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 05:09:01 pm »

Legalities just-in-case stuff, mostly. That said, I'm actually really fond of T4's new setting. It's a very shades-of-grey world, where the most moral side is the isolationists and one of the most evil creatures in the land is the player character, even though they're probably working for "good." It has imperialistic slaver halflings, psionically empowered communist midget yetis, and many, many, more interesting things. One day, we will have steampunk desert orcs! Amazingly enough, it all fits together pretty well. Darkgod and co. have done a decent job of re-visioning ToME.

The step away from Tolkien has honestly improved T4 quite a bit, really. It's much more interesting now :P
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:11:10 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 05:18:07 pm »

Great, a new Tome 4 release !

Just in time as i was planning to get a new character in Tome4 and have skipped the last few releases since June.

A note : i gave a look to the support board and noticed that some annoying bugs have been reported and the solution from the dev is :
Temporary fix: disable fbo

In your home/t-engine/4.0/settings/ edit/create the file fbo_active.cfg
inside put:

fbo_active = false

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 163