Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 467618 times)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #930 on: February 03, 2013, 02:44:01 am »

Yeah, I've figured out some things about thoughtforms and combat talents.

At effective level 5 on distortion bolt, no effect hurts them anymore. However, they can still get tagged by a distortion bolt and block it from hitting things. So, if you lack a clear line of sight, save the psi. Otherwise, fire away. And no, they don't have a mind damage bolt. They have a beam, 2 smites, and a self burst.

Edit: I lied. They have Mind Storm and Focused Wrath, both of which use feedback to shoot mind damage bolts at targets through sustains.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:04:01 am by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: February 04, 2013, 05:15:40 am »

So hey, a neat detail I just found out : you know that Apprentice mage, that sits outside Angolwen begging for artefacts? It's actually
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My Shadowblade had a dialogue option for this, I guess you need a certain amount of cunning to notice, or something.

edit : Oh god this is so painful make it stop please

I know shadowblades get broken lategame. I cleared the Spellblaze at level 21 without taking a single point of damage with one. I also know I have tried over 30 and still haven't even gotten to Darkfell. Random rares instagib me, random uniques instagib me, occasionally random normal mobs instagib me. I can have God's own daggers - doesn't matter.

Edit : It seems like I was right - I'm currently level 28, with 4 deahts - one to a rare with 80 retaliation damage, because I really need to start inspecting rares before flurrying them, twice to the game being a bastard and spawning a rare umbral horror as the farportal room boss and 100% shadow resist is nasty, and once in the dark crypt, because I underestimated a rare and didn't teleport away. I did stomp both the Spellblase and the dark crypt, though, which is making me feel warm and fuzzy.

The basic strategy is clear the entrance if anything can see me, and fling shadowbros at the entire level with cteleport and phase door. It seems shadow veil - the ability which blinkstrikes enemies without input - takes however many turns it states, but only counts as a single turn for shadowbro control. This basically means I can use all my abilities, shadow veil, then use all my abilities again, interspersed with even more abilities because I 5 pointed the attack speed sustain. It's hilarious.

I'm not sure how well it'll work against single bosses and the end bosses, though, but I have a lot of doubts I'll even reach there. It's still hilarious, but I'm not yet sure if it's hilarious enough to make up for the abhorrent start Shadowblades have.

edit : level 36, just killed Golbug, about to go to the East for the first time. I cleared up everything, including the elven ruins, have 8 generic points unspent because I just now got the category point to unlock celestial:light. Prolly shouldn't've been a Cornac even though they're my favourite race.

Welp, dead at 42, kept killing myself with flurries, lost my last life to the overpowered Wyrms, because both my teleport and phase door went retarded and kept teleporting me around the stupid thing. It turns out you can't just spam shadows at them, you need to physically walk into the vault, or they keep "vaulted" status and can't act or take damage. I did clear it up, then went to clear the prides - smashed through Vor, then something happened in Grushnak and I died during a shadow veil, despite the damage reduction and my shielding rune. Not sure I can handle the early game of a shadowblade again, and it's actually somewhat boring.

Well, probably not as boring as a dual-regeneration antimagic fungus wyrmic, though.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:28:35 pm by Graven »
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: February 07, 2013, 05:43:57 pm »

I just started the game and can't find something out. I gave all my found equipment to my comrade via Inventory -> Left Click -> Transfer to party. Now he seems to be encumbered and can't move anymore. How can I open his inventory?

Thanks!
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: February 07, 2013, 06:22:44 pm »

If you're playing alchemist, you should be able to click on the critter's portrait, uh. Wherever that is on minimalist, I'unno. Then enter your inventory as normal and have access. Alternately, just hit F2. If you haven't buggered with the keybindings, the F# stuff will swap control/give orders to appropriate party members. Then, providing the critter has an inventory and nothing buggers up, you should be able to manipulate its equipment the same way you do the player's.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: February 07, 2013, 06:44:23 pm »

I'm playing dwarf :P and am referring to my companion-dwarf Norgan in the start dungeon. When pressing F2, I only have the option to:

a) Set the leash anchor.
b) Set the leash distance.

Ctrl+F2 opens the same menu.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: February 07, 2013, 06:52:19 pm »

Yeeaahhh... that "nothing buggers up" part? You just hit it :-\

So far as I'm aware, there's no way to get stuff back from him after you did that. If you gave him any artifacts (yellow items) you can at least kill him and they'll probably drop, but anything else is... probably lost forever. Also, he now can't move and there's not really any way to fix it.

Sad thing is, I'm actually the one that suggested that feature :-[

Still, bug is bug. I've reported it over on the T4 forums, and it'll probably be fixed whenever the next version rolls around. Sorry about the trouble, bleh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: February 07, 2013, 08:12:33 pm »

So much to the game being version 1.0.0 ^^

Still having quite some fun! The game makes a pretty epic impression, hope that holds up

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: February 08, 2013, 03:45:06 am »

So hey, I won a Cursed! Second win, woo.

http://te4.org/characters/15454/tome/e4953109-c6bd-44a8-b355-571514636ee1

For all of you prospective Cursed players, I have one advice. Don't play Cursed. Ever.

It's really powerful, incredibly so, matched only by how mind-numbingly boring it is. I died twice, once to the Grand Corruptor, because I thought I was ready to fight him after smashing through the crypt when I really, really wasn't; and once at the end bosses, not sure exactly how. I was doing what I did for the entire second half of the game - rapidly clicking my mouse to a black screen, because I'd long ago ran out of remove blind, when I suddenly... died. Then I revived and killed the two mages in like 50 turns, because Antimagic and Fungus are insane on a willpower character. I did come really close to dying once more - in that one Prides vault that has a ton of horrors in it. I went all in and was surrounded by 6 or so of those upgraded Luminous horrors, the ones with six arms? I forget how they're called. They eventually overloaded my antimagic shield, which I didn't notice. Good thing I had the elixir of invulnerability.

Everything Cursed have is passive. This is what makes them powerful, and also what made me want to punch myself everytime I found a vault. Because things in vaults tend to take a lot longer to die, but still don't prove any threat. In fact, nothing in the east posed any threat, I just berserker-clicked my way through it. Also I had a lot less anti-blinding thingies than the hordes of orcs had blinding thingies, so that was kind of annoying.

As a Cursed you have like 5 pushable buttons - Rampage or screw-your-world, a screw-your-damage, a screw-your-health and two varieties of screw-your-mages-and-ranged. At some point I forgot all of these existed.

I really want to win an Arcane Blade, because I hear they're considering nerfing them, because some feller hit one of the bosses for 20k with one? Which I hope isn't true, because it's the worst possible way to balance things in a non-competitive singleplayer game, also noone ever wins ABs, but then I remember I have to go throught the east again and then I remember how many things suddenly need very urgent doing. Like dishes, buying a sponge or two, finding that one book with mice I vaguely remember from my childhood and so on.

Tome really needs to rework its endgame, is what I'm saying. Also antimagic is incredibly powerful and if someone is yet to win, go Wyrmic - it's positively entrancing compared to Cursed  :D
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: February 08, 2013, 05:08:22 am »

I'm not a big fan of hordes spamming status effects at me either. I'll probably take your advice on the AM wyrmic though, the last ones I made were bad (I was new and dumb) and failed. I'm getting tired of level 1-25 already and I've only been playing a week or two :P
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: February 08, 2013, 07:33:03 am »

It's always hilarious when playing a halfling wyrmic, when you're lucky to have the skill actually working (as half of the time it will not work on your enemy), to have Swallow functionning on some big monsters.

Difficult to picture how can that work in your mind though , a small halfling devouring some kind of gigantic dragon in a single bite :D

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: February 08, 2013, 07:37:00 am »

Browsed through some changes for the next version

Impending Doom is affected by spell save
Impending Doom now "only" reduces healing factor by 100% instead of outright preventing healing
Yay, my regeneration tanks are happy

When reaching 0 air you now start suffocating instead of outright dying. Suffocating makes you loose life very quickly and can not be prevented by shields/absorbs/
Good.

Brawlers now get the Mobility tree at 1.2

My favorite class got quite a nice buff and a reason to not wear plate armors
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: February 08, 2013, 08:14:44 am »

Well, this is the advice that got me my first win ever, on my wyrmic :

Bellowing roar, sand breath, balance your str/wil and con, work toward assault if you are going shield and sink a point in it, 5/1/5/1 fungus, 5/5/X/5 combat training, 4/1/5/5 the higher draconic tree, X/5/X/X the acid tree.

Xs are variable in that you may find some things more or less useful or you might want a different breath than the acid one. You usually want 3 breaths by end game though. Venom breath sucks, fire is 'average' (only does damage), sand is the best, acid is decent, cold is decent, lightning is good but variable damage.

Apart from that bear in mind it seems Lightning and Ice breath's status effects appear to work with spell power not mind power, or at least I never ever affected anything with them and I unlocked the Ice Tree on my wyrmic, so I spammed a fair bit of it. Might be worth it to go with sand -> acid -> fire, in this order.

Other than that I ate an oozing horror and felt really disgusted with myself, so don't do that, I guess x]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: February 08, 2013, 09:41:35 am »

My yeek archmage finally bought it, but not before unlocking mindslayers and temporal wardens. So, there's that. Now I'm working on building up a temporal warden enough to make it through the Daikara and rift to unlock Paradox Mages.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: February 08, 2013, 12:22:28 pm »

Apart from that bear in mind it seems Lightning and Ice breath's status effects appear to work with spell power not mind power, or at least I never ever affected anything with them and I unlocked the Ice Tree on my wyrmic, so I spammed a fair bit of it. Might be worth it to go with sand -> acid -> fire, in this order.

Other than that I ate an oozing horror and felt really disgusted with myself, so don't do that, I guess x]

That's really close to what I was using. I went 5/0/0/0 fire, 1/1/1/5 sand, Acid.... uh... the vortex and breath, and was going for 1/X/5/5 higher wyrmic. Confuse for casters, blinds for everybody, disarm for melee. Sword n' Board. Thalore. I died from many stupid mistakes and abysmal stat point distribution. I'm trying to decide if anti-magic would be better than teleport runes as sword n shield, or if I should wait for a 2H setup I want to try later.

I make it a point to devour every boss I can. I imagine this Legolas impersonator raging out Liu Kang style, and it's hilarious. Fatality!
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: February 09, 2013, 08:16:48 am »

After running on purpose for it a Cornac Necromancer (due to the lack of experience penalties, so i could get more levels quicker before Dreadfell, meaning more skills/talents and so as a necromancer more survivability), i finally managed to do it .

And the less i can say is that it is a disapointment.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 163