Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 467375 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #2010 on: November 18, 2014, 09:28:11 pm »

... well, if you've cleared out all the tier 1 dungeons (Trollmire, kor'pul, norgos, gloom heart, scint. caves, rhaloren camp, anything racial) your probable options are the Maze or Old Forest. I guess maybe the hidden compound if you've got some cash and want a fairly alright artifact ring, but there's not much beyond that in the wave of XP and loot in that joint. Maaaybe the sandworm lair if you've got a nice source of teleportation (rune, amulet, or psychoport torque) and/or movement infusion.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: November 18, 2014, 09:43:10 pm »

Spoiler, but you can check the zones levels to get the idea on which one may be too hard for your current character level :
http://te4.org/wiki/Zone

Here's there's a zone order recommendation that is +/- what i usually follow and should help your character to build up for the more difficult zones :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It usually serves me very well

Remember that if you're facing a too hard situation, you can escape, go to another dungeon and come back later with hopefully better level and better items
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:44:56 pm by Robsoie »

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: November 18, 2014, 09:45:37 pm »

I honestly don't know where any of the other Tier 1 dungeons are. I never manage to get out of the dwarf starting area, so I don't know about where that is, and whenever I explore I either run into a dead end or a Tier 2 dungeon I die in.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: November 18, 2014, 09:52:06 pm »

not that this class really needs the help to totally dominate everything, but what do you guys think would be the better defensive prodigy for a summoner - draconic will, tricky defenses, or spell feedback?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: November 18, 2014, 09:53:10 pm »

Here's the world map , of course spoiler so don't look if you wish to discover the zones locations
http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=34478#p135934

but note :

not that this class really needs the help to totally dominate everything, but what do you guys think would be the better defensive prodigy for a summoner - draconic will, tricky defenses, or spell feedback?
Spell Feedback can be good to disturb spellcasters chances of casting
Draconic Body as a get more life if you're hit hard automatically is very good too
tricky defense, never used on summoners, can't say much
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:56:36 pm by Robsoie »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: November 18, 2014, 10:42:13 pm »

Almost certainly draconic will. Doubly so if you're shalore -- timeless + DW is one of the ultimate defensive tricks in the game (only topped by adding unstoppable to the mix, which turns into what amounts to 10-15 turns of absolute invincibility, not that summoners have access to it). Feedback would be secondary, but ideally a summoner won't even be getting hit, so... same deal with tricky defenses, really.

Basically, your critters should be tanking for you, you want stuff that stops or prevents you from not getting more critters out. Status effect mitigation, more or less. Or more offense, so everything's just dead instead of attacking you.

--

As for the tier ones, if you don't want to look at the actual map:
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: November 19, 2014, 01:58:03 pm »

Draconic Body as a get more life if you're hit hard automatically is very good too
i considered draconic body too, but with the natural power of summoner & the absurd power of antimagic + fungus on top of that i don't think i have been been down to 30% health since before dreadfell... plus on top of my regen infusion cheese i'm drowning in other lifesaving heals i can use in a pinch, i think i have 5 of them at this point

maybe i'll regret not taking it when some absurd unique in the orc strongholds 1-shots me  ;D

Almost certainly draconic will. Doubly so if you're shalore -- timeless + DW is one of the ultimate defensive tricks in the game
im dwarf, but i yeah i decided on draconic will

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: November 19, 2014, 02:29:43 pm »

Best character so far was eventually killed by my own curiosity. Stupid temporal rifts...

Level 15 Thaloran Berserker. My favorite piece of equipment for a long time was the Thaloran Cuirass I picked up in the Old Forest around level 8. Also, Bill's Tree Trunk is a great Berserker weapon at low levels.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: November 19, 2014, 03:12:51 pm »

Well I have an extra challenge in that the computer I play the game on and the computer I can get internet on are two different computers in two separate rooms. I can only really look up guides after the fact and try to remember them the best I can.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: November 19, 2014, 03:26:13 pm »

I thought it was any detrimental effect, but that would have been too good. My ghoul is immune to most physical effects and confusion. I mainly have to worry about damage.

*checks* Retch has a 27% chance to purge a physical effect.

Checking the character vault, I just noticed that nobody has won a ghoul on insane or madness yet.

Undead starting zone is no joke and that global speed penalty is even worse on higher difficulty.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: November 19, 2014, 03:53:59 pm »

I'd like to play an undead or necromancer, but it seems like I have to get much, much further in the game than I've been getting. So far the biggest unlock I've gotten was Summoner, and I only got that because I was wandering around the Scintillating Caves and it just popped up.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: November 19, 2014, 04:42:31 pm »

The necromancer class unlock is a very difficult one, that before fighting a specific character that can be very difficult due to the kind of ally she can get, require finding some several pieces of lore that may not spawn all during a single game, so you'll need to find them all through several characters games, and use the spoiler
in order to be able to unlock the necromancer.

It's not one of the unlock you'll be able to make before playing a lot of characters (unless you edit the files to add them as it was mentionned some pages ago)

The 2 undead races require you

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: November 19, 2014, 05:14:51 pm »

Close call:

In other news, I'm halfway through the backup guardians. Most of them are in the 90s range, but snaproot is level 122. Sadly, killing over-leveled enemies doesn't give you tons of exp. Or good loot.

I thought it was any detrimental effect, but that would have been too good. My ghoul is immune to most physical effects and confusion. I mainly have to worry about damage.

*checks* Retch has a 27% chance to purge a physical effect.

Checking the character vault, I just noticed that nobody has won a ghoul on insane or madness yet.

Undead starting zone is no joke and that global speed penalty is even worse on higher difficulty.

Yeah, I lost several undead characters before I even found the 1st staircase. It's pretty brutal. And I can't think of a role where ghouls are the superior choice.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: November 19, 2014, 05:17:54 pm »

Impressive you're managing to survive that long in Insane !

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: November 21, 2014, 07:16:23 pm »

Well, this was... amusing. Not fun, at least not until High Peak, but amusing:

http://te4.org/characters/15454/tome/5df9fc3c-65a8-4931-95b0-ee251f44586a

Running through High Peak, vapourising uniques in multicoloured explosions with my incredibly powerful mostly Tier 3 equipment and the Top Half of the Staff of Telos taped to my forehead was fun, I can't deny that. Unfortunately one or another of the bosses dropped the T5 Hand of the World-Shaper - I was using the T3 Gloves of Huckleberry Finn before.

Overall there's no running away from the fact that this is a build for a severely higher difficulty, and as such is incredibly overpowered on Normal. Bump attacks killed nearly everything in one shot, and I don't believe I've had to fight a single enemy for more than 4 turns since Dreadfell. The full, non-borked build would be absurd - I went Cornac for the normal experience gain, and didn't get Conveyance till about 2/3rds of the game, which caused most of my deaths.

I was thinking of trying to make a sort of Super-Berzerker, kind of like Cursed Squared, but going through the East always drains my will to Tome for quite a while. God damn is the East boring. At least I had the stupid eye-cap so I could at least see the boring stuff, rather than a black screen. Status effect resistances are shooting rapidly to my "Prioritize on Items" list since a blurry shaky screen might work for Crank:High Voltage but it just makes my head hurt when I'm playing.

Trivia!

- I only had the "Do over 600 damage" achievement until I went to hit the dummy after two-shotting Atamathon
- I literally two-shot Atamathon
- I cleared the Room of Death at level 38
- I forgot to buy the expensive custom-made artefacts from the Merchant
- I had no idea what equipment would work best with this build, nor which stats, so I just kept whatever on
- I died 6 times with the world's most OP build ;_;
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 163