Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 463023 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #2055 on: December 30, 2014, 04:41:42 am »

I rarely use block. I mainly use shields for attacking. The closest I get to blocking is using shield slam.

You lose a lot this way. Block is what makes shields close to overpowered
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: December 30, 2014, 07:56:12 am »

A great thing about using block is that it means you're going to do double damage on your opponent if your block was successful enough to give you counterstrike points.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: December 30, 2014, 11:26:07 am »

I rarely use block. I mainly use shields for attacking. The closest I get to blocking is using shield slam.

Currently, my level 50 sun paladin deals 1400 bump damage, which is better than my old mindslayer. Flexible Combat is better than I expected.
Yeah... I didn't use block much, either, until I actually nabbed that eternal guard prodigy. Not sure how effective it is on insane or whatnot, but I'm fairly sure at nightmare or below that plus a good shield makes you pretty close to functionally invincible -- shaving 2-300 damage off of everything, after resists, damage shields, etc., is... it's a thing. And then there's the counterstrikes, especially if you've got access to the talent that lets you counter off incomplete blocks. Functional invincibility and double damage vs. everything is, well. Is.

You really need the eternal guard prodigy to really get your mileage out of block, though. Probably the other block prodigy, too, if you're not going to keep a few swap-ins around to round out your elemental coverage.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 11:31:42 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: December 30, 2014, 01:53:45 pm »

How does block work if you're dual-wielding shields? Does it only count your offhand, or pool their block values, or track resists and block values separately...? (this is making me really want to play a stonewarden, but I have no idea how to build their stats)

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: December 30, 2014, 10:51:15 pm »

Insane Roguelike win:

http://te4.org/characters/30061/tome/cab652f4-7369-4960-81da-1e51f7a21c18

Sun paladins are really easy. I never came close to dying. And I don't think anything managed to reduce my HP below 40%. Cauterize was a waste, since Second Life never deactivated (aside from dispel).

The final battle was much easier than I expected. I ditched Aeryn and closed 3 portals. I left the dragon portal open to distract the bosses.

Argoniel had paradox mage and solipsist talents. Elandar had doomed talents (fears, darkness, and shadows). Aeryn died shortly after I closed the 3rd portal, but a dozen hatchlings and wyrms spawned. Most of them attacked Elandar, the rest attacked me.

I closed the dragon portal and ran to the other side of the map. Then, I fought Argoniel and the dragons. Argoniel took 30 minutes to kill. Elandar died quickly afterwards. They didn't put up much of a fight.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: December 31, 2014, 05:06:39 am »

Congratulations, my insane characters never went far as nearly every monsters i met on trollmire were some kind of boss battle level, but playing that on roguelike, no thanks :D

I wonder how that ridiculously overpowered Linaniil can be on insane, already on normal she had multiple lives and on her last few lives she could heal herself like that

every +/- 10 turns while teleporting all over the map to make sure you had a very hard time to reach her before the draconic body kicked in and you had to redo your damage (and survive her own attacks) all over again.

Dr Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: January 04, 2015, 11:01:16 am »

Every level has several rares, which makes using uncontrolled phase door and teleports suicidal. I used path of the sun and movement infusions for escaping. The only time I used psychoport was when I was surrounded by rares and far from the stairs. Stair-scumming is still (ab)usable.

I used auto-explore for most of the game, except when doing the prides and high peak. I only bothered scouting, using burning star and track, in high peak to avoid the stair guardians. I think only classes with OP defense can get away with it.

Bosses get extra random class talents on insane. If you're unlucky, then you might fight some boss with time shield/displace damage/unstoppable. Linaniil had rogue and skirmisher talents. Atamathon had cursed and berserker talents, along with 115% resist all. I got splatted by Atamathon after fighting it for 15 minutes and barely scratching it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: February 04, 2015, 03:08:32 pm »

For those interested, i noticed there's a public beta test you can play for ToME4 1.3 here :
http://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2015/02/beta-test-13-has-begun

Not playing with, so i can't say what's new/changed as i don't see a changelog on the website and board at the time.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: February 04, 2015, 05:40:50 pm »

Bought this game recently on steam (as part of a bundle) but now i have some problems logging on with hte steam version.
No real idea why. I could log through the website but ingame? Nope no sirrie!
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: February 04, 2015, 07:24:50 pm »

For those interested, i noticed there's a public beta test you can play for ToME4 1.3 here :
http://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2015/02/beta-test-13-has-begun

Not playing with, so i can't say what's new/changed as i don't see a changelog on the website and board at the time.
I was doing some alpha testing, so I know a little. There's a lot of miscellaneous bug and quality of life fixes people have asked for (e.g. asking before skipping over-leveled areas, seeing the effective bonus once scaling starts happening). Some of the underperforming classes have been rebalanced (wyrmics, temporal wardens and paradox mages), with smaller changes happening elsewhere. Temporal Warden has gotten a lot better and a lot more fun to play. I've heard people say similar things about Paradox mage. New thing that people may not want spoiled, with increasingly spoiler-y information behind successive spoiler tags:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Which get
The unlock is
The chance is guaranteed if
EDIT: nested spoilers aren't a thing.
Bought this game recently on steam (as part of a bundle) but now i have some problems logging on with hte steam version.
No real idea why. I could log through the website but ingame? Nope no sirrie!
Have you linked your steam account to your te4 account?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:14:54 pm by Oneir »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: February 04, 2015, 07:58:59 pm »

Didn't notice that option. It's OK now.. thanks.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: February 05, 2015, 03:43:57 am »

Well, been playing this game for a combined total of 14 hours without getting through that north mountain pass thing. Anyone got advice for a melee kind of character? Is there some stat newbies tend to neglect, or maybe some order we're expected to do things? Or does this just boil down to me using bad tactics?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: February 05, 2015, 04:05:58 am »

Daikara?

I need more information. What class are you? What infusions were you using? What keeps killing you? Etc.

I haven't played in a while but in general melee requires more caution and thoughtful play in the early game, and Daikara has those damned boulder throwers that can end you quick even if you are prepared.

In general: Don't try antimagic until you understand the tradeoffs. Keep the wild infusion you start with for the entire game. Keep upgrading a regen infusion as you level, and use it very early in the fight. Keep at least two escapes (preferably teleport or psycoport, phase door *always* gets me killed). Get rush.  I'll say again: get rush.

Escape early and live to fight on. If you wait til an emergency odds are you'll just put yourself in a worst spot and die anyway. Hang around corners when there's archers in the next room. Hang way back around corners when there's boulder throwing giants.

EDIT: And skip the temporal rift. It's not worth it.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: February 05, 2015, 04:17:30 am »

Hah, yeah, that killed me the last time I made it to Daikara. As far as classes played, Bulwark, Cursed, and I recently unlocked pugulist. (Well, by recently, I mean 2 months ago, so gotta relearn things.) Sloe been trying out the Doombringer class from time to time, but they seem to have a hellish starting area (no I'm not sorry).

I think probably... I tend to not use infusions as much as I ought to, and am probably terrible at keeping them up to date.

I'd play ranged classes more if it didn't feel like they were testing my patience unfortunately. Feels as though they were meant to be played with the mouse somewhat, but that just ends up bugging me in a roguelike.

And yeah, I think I'll avoid anti-magic for some time until I figure out what that'd mean more or less. I figure losing arcane powered equipment is very limiting, and I don't know what you get in return, and whether that hinges on having a certain stat spread.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: February 05, 2015, 09:17:21 am »

And yeah, I think I'll avoid anti-magic for some time until I figure out what that'd mean more or less. I figure losing arcane powered equipment is very limiting, and I don't know what you get in return, and whether that hinges on having a certain stat spread.

Anti-Magic gets you the Fungus tree.  It's a great tree for many different builds out there.  The Anti-Magic tree is okay.  If you have the generics for it and won't miss runes, I'd say take it. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 163