Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 467507 times)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #2160 on: April 25, 2015, 07:58:03 pm »

Oh I'm just spamming it all the time, two tentacles ready before any sealed room.

I think i might put it on auto cast. It's great using them as meatshields and then called shots past them. Still think it's game breaking though but maybe I can finish this game now.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: April 25, 2015, 08:04:27 pm »

Eehh... they're useful for quite a while, but the use falls off pretty sharply later in the game. After a point, things can either one-shot them (which mostly wastes the turn calling them in), jump over them, or just blow you up despite them being there. About as useful as any summon is, in the early to mid game, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: April 25, 2015, 08:27:40 pm »

Darn, I guess I have no idea how far the game goes, yet to get a char to reach lvl 25 but I think this totem will carry me to that point.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: April 25, 2015, 08:36:08 pm »

*waggles hand* A lot can get you to that point, heh. Flame alone can cover most of the west without much trouble -- most low CD bolt/beams can. The tentacles'll certainly help with a ranged build, though.

If you want something better while still playing an archery character, you might consider a warden. Those hounds are freaking glorious.
Ask not!
Ask!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: April 26, 2015, 01:18:43 am »

+1 for Shalore time warden. I even liked the old version, too. It's the only class I've ran that literally shut down the entire last dungeon with zero effort. Twice.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: April 26, 2015, 05:01:35 pm »

Yeah, the tentacles are pretty great. Only downside is they (currently, anyway -- it may be fixed in the future) don't give XP for anything they kill. Quite useful, though, and you'll probably find even better ones later in the game.

E: Also, I may be misremembering, or it may have been fixed, but try aiming the tentacle outside the displayed range. Iirc, at one point, it would drop the thing wherever you put the cursor, rather than just where you were supposed to be able to put the cursor.

Ok, the downside of tentacles is, like the boss they originally come from, when they die they damage you. Still an amazing item for such a low price though and 100% darkness resistance can still make it very useful in some situations even later on. They do give you xp though. Looks like summoning is pretty strong, now to try and unlock the necromancer.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: April 26, 2015, 10:57:33 pm »

Jeez, high level ano-whatsits are kinda' hilarious. I'm digging the "THIS IS MY HOUSE" combo that is spewing all four circles in one go, triggering a cascade of corona shots and rendering the area around the player an unlivable hell, followed by throwing all your other dakka out, popping totality, and then doing it all over again.

It's pretty great. Can see basically jack-all while it's happening, since the stacked circles pretty much whiteout a 5 radius circle around the player,* but it's great anyway.

Ano-whatsits kinda' feel anemic, though. Like they're missing a couple of trees or somethin'. Feel less fleshed out than, say, the archmagi, necromancers, or paradox magi. Maybe about on par with corruptors... I don't feel any real need to be careful with my talent points or whatev', basically. At least part of that has to do with the thing where basically goddamn nothing they have has anything but damage scaling. Very few range/radius increases, often on spells that could really use it (Here's looking at you, mind blast. Why do you even exist?).

Ask not!
Ask!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: April 26, 2015, 11:28:12 pm »

Yeah, I've been digging the Anorithil. I'm not high enough level to spew Corona's at everything that lives yet, but I like them thus far, despite their miniature range for a blaster. I was honestly debating the usefulness of the Circles tree until you made me realize they're almost all instant to cast. That could be interesting. Not nearly as fun as Paradox Magi are, but I'm almost convinced nothing is.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: April 26, 2015, 11:38:42 pm »

Yeah, I've been digging the Anorithil. I'm not high enough level to spew Corona's at everything that lives yet, but I like them thus far, despite their miniature range for a blaster. I was honestly debating the usefulness of the Circles tree until you made me realize they're almost all instant to cast. That could be interesting. Not nearly as fun as Paradox Magi are, but I'm almost convinced nothing is.
The other thing, IIRC, is that all but one of them can crit twice.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: April 27, 2015, 12:07:54 am »

Yeah, I've been digging the Anorithil. I'm not high enough level to spew Corona's at everything that lives yet, but I like them thus far, despite their miniature range for a blaster. I was honestly debating the usefulness of the Circles tree until you made me realize they're almost all instant to cast.
Not almost all, heh. They're all instant.

It's worth noting that screeny was made by a dark fae running ID500 and everything's unique, so... yeah. That was actually only like level 40 something, I think? Dark Crypt jumped me at level 34, after I got out the rhaloren camp >_>

Finally getting around to OF with it now, which is to say I'm level 779 on OF 3 and the freaking wolves have like 2k hp :V

Wish I could see what my spellcrit is, though. Know it's high (physcrit's 74, spellcrit should be higher), just don't know how high...

E: Also wish my basically everything didn't do friendly fire. That would help significantly, ha.

E2: Ohey, uniques mod got its charsheet fixed. Huzzah!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 11:35:21 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: April 29, 2015, 09:25:07 pm »

OH GOD I FINALLY GOT ALL FOUR CIRCLES AND ~80% SPELLCRIT ON MY ANORITHIL

Let's put it this way. That Grand Corrupter dude responsible for more character deaths then anyone else? Lasted maybe 4-5 turns before she panicked and recruited me for destroying Zigur. ALL THE CORONAS. This would be even moar dakka if I had Hymn of Moonlight instead of Perseverance. Still ridiculous dakka though. Now I've only got two classes[Plus Brawler and Skirmisher, but I give zero fucks about them] waiting to be unlocked: Oozemancer and Solipsist and I DID unlock all the races. I might actually win the game this time, now that I remembered not to dive headfirst into the Orc Prides right after entering the East.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: April 29, 2015, 11:13:34 pm »

Today I learned that ID500 apparently caps out at character level 200. Thank you, uniques mod.

Or maybe it'll open up again once I actually get to the infinite dungeon, dunno. Currently... currently on dreadfell 3.

Also I'd like to state for the record that a level 200 dark fae with 20/20 Powers of the Dark is, uh. I have +1390% all damage. That scales by 2% every percent of health I'm missing. Also +225% combat speed! It's good stuff. Between it and one of my class sustains, my attacks are coming in at 15% weapon speed, so, y'know. About six swings per turn.

Big numbers abound. Stuff's still able to kill me, too, which is amazing :3

E: AHAHAHA, YES! Counter-skullcracker lead to a 188k damage hit ♥
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 11:45:08 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: June 14, 2015, 01:47:02 pm »

Hey hey, if it isn't my old friend, the Tome 4 thread!

My laptop went and keeled over, so I got a proper PC now. Sadly, this meant the loss of all my logins, and it took me quite a while to remember my bay12 password.

I had heard rumours of significant changes to my beloved Paradox classes, and what with my having an actual processor, I thought "What a wonderful time to waste a Sunday to Tome!" Could Temporal Wardens have stopped being the most boring class in Tome?

http://te4.org/characters/15454/tome/0dc46de5-6b06-4be6-8156-83dcaa973e57

I beat the game, shoved the two nerds in a locker, then went and took Atamathon's lunch money.

Yep, New Temporal Warden is defintely not the most boring class in the game. (Go Team Cursed!). In fact, it is insane. Insanely fun, and insanely overpowered. It is hilarious how OP Temporal Warden is. Here's a short list of some of the things you can do:

- Shoot people, shoot people quickly, shoot people with Gravity, shoot people while you're shooting people, make colourful explosions when shooting people
- Summon Temporal Bros TM to shoot the same people you are shooting and to take hits for you.
- Hit people, hit people even more, hit people with AOE
- Teleport around, teleport around by shooting people, teleport away by hitting people, teleport to people so you can hit them harder, teleport so hard you unstun yourself
- Summon TimeDawgs
- Take a Time Out TM, chilling outside the flow of time for a few turns

Temporal Warden is now a ranged Arcane Blade - lots of multi-hits and lots of colourful explosions. Only you are ranged, so no more instagibbing yourself on an enemy's reflected damage. Between Time Shield and having temporal clones share some of the damage you are taking you are nearly indestructible.

The new mechanics are really fun - Before you just shot really quickly leading mostly to finger cramps and falling asleep on the keyboard. Now the theme for Temporal Wardens is working with You-s from different timelines. This is accomplished by having temporal clones appear and shoot random targets every time you attack - they don't seem to necessarily target whatever you're hitting. Combined with the ability to shoot several arrows over several turns while doing something else, having AOE and status effects on each shot fired, including the ones from the temporal clones, and just plain normal AOE abilities, you keep the whole "Shoot really fast" thing while having an actual interesting and engaging class.

I died once to the slave master in the hidden compound, cuz apparently his class got buffed too, a few times to the HyperDragons in the Vor Armoury because I am not smart, and a few times to Amathon.

The Atamathon fight seemed bugged, though - he got a temporal clone (which may have been an anomaly), he killed me by hitting his own temporal clone, who was hostile to me, he killed me again by something, then I got a LUA error in the Eidolon plane, then I got back and showed him what for.

Also I need HELP. For some reason, after a certain point (I want to say the Master fight), the game would just slow down to a crawl. I ended up having to quit and restart Tome every few floors, since turns would take up to a full minute. I don't know if there's a known memory leak (since after a restart it ran incredibly smoothly for like, two floors), or if I need to turn off some random setting, but it was not, in fact, pleasant.

Does anyone know anything about this?
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: June 14, 2015, 01:53:41 pm »

Best suggestion I would have would be to just turn everything down. All settings to minimum. After that, maybe try swapping UI styles -- I know a version or two back there were substantial performance issues with classic, ferex. After that check and see if you actually are getting memory leaks of some sort... there's definitely at least one edge case I've ran in to (Scrolling up the message log, though that mostly nixes the massive memory bloat after you close the log, instead of requiring a restart) in the current version.

... and after all that, try asking over on the T4 forums, if you haven't already, heh.

And yeah, TWs are pretty great nowadays. My only regret is that the dogs are Cs instead of Zs. Dat lack of zephyr hound ;_;

E: Well, that and the fact they the game breaks if you try to run a dark fae time warden, which is the damnedest of shames. Seems to happen whenever one of your racial clones gets frozen or somethin', after which everything goes to buggery and your equipment starts getting deleted at more-or-less random. Really unfortunate, because the only thing better than time clones is time clones that cause racial talent clones to appear that cause more time clones to appear, all of them throwing more arrows and blinking around the place and basically turning the level into a danmaku stage.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:58:49 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: June 14, 2015, 05:00:55 pm »

I think TWs have a memory leak associated with not properly disposing of your temporal duplicates. So the usual problems with late game ToME lag get much worse.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 163