Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 163

Author Topic: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal  (Read 464569 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Tome 4: Tales of Maj'Eyal
« Reply #2295 on: March 16, 2017, 04:16:46 am »

I'm having some luck with Feedback solipsists as of late.

I dont want to go antimagic though. I'm aware this is a handicap, but...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: March 16, 2017, 07:39:50 am »

Eh... AM's better in the latest patch, but so far as I'm aware it's still suboptimal even for will prime classes. You're probably not rolling with a handicap, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: March 17, 2017, 07:27:46 pm »

Eh... there isn't, really. Just about everything in the game like that has pretty clear warnings (zone entry feelings, vault warnings, popups, etc.), though it's entirely willing to let you go ahead and bumrush a gaggle of ancient wyrms if you're going to insist on it.
While I'll go ahead and agree with you in general (now that I've played a number of additional characters) - I think that quests, at least, don't give enough warnings. Before, I was complaining about the graveyard quest. I'll now throw in the anti-magic town's arena quest - I lost a very promising character when that quest happily matched me up against +5 level ... then +10...  then+15 level enemies. The quest giver, unless I totally skimmed over it, never mentions the fact that a character "only" in their teens is almost certainly dead meat.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 08:15:55 pm by AlStar »

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: March 18, 2017, 09:59:02 am »

Eh... there isn't, really. Just about everything in the game like that has pretty clear warnings (zone entry feelings, vault warnings, popups, etc.), though it's entirely willing to let you go ahead and bumrush a gaggle of ancient wyrms if you're going to insist on it.
While I'll go ahead and agree with you in general (now that I've played a number of additional characters) - I think that quests, at least, don't give enough warnings. Before, I was complaining about the graveyard quest. I'll now throw in the anti-magic town's arena quest - I lost a very promising character when that quest happily matched me up against +5 level ... then +10...  then+15 level enemies. The quest giver, unless I totally skimmed over it, never mentions the fact that a character "only" in their teens is almost certainly dead meat.

Nah, it's worse than that. The antmagic quest does have a minimum level, but it's usually a bad idea to do it as soon as you're able -- the mobs are fixed, and have a lot of really awful abilities. That's the thing I want an add-on for -- warnings based on the zone's spawn list and your class. It's like challenge ratings in D&D: saying the flying monster with stun beams is an appropriate challenge for level X characters means nothing if those characters don't have ranged attacks and a way to deal with stun. The minimum levels are good for knowing if you're guaranteed to be outleveled (mobs will spawn from that minimum level to some maximum level, adjusted by rank (?) and chests / vaults)...but do nothing to prepare you for the truly nasty things in the level.

That's not quite enough to require the wiki, if you're good at roguelikes and exploring them (I'm not, and ToME has enough of a learning curve even just for the engine for that to be difficult), but you need to work out how to build appropriate defenses and escapes first...and doing that really well usually requires a guide. :T

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: April 11, 2017, 11:31:08 pm »

I've been playing this again, despite my better judgement... :P (hand pain issues)

Having bought it on Steam, this is my first time with the DLCs and also my first time playing online (despite having hundreds of hours and a couple wins under my belt from before I had an account). Decided to start over from scratch, since I actually find the unlock system pretty fun.

Couple things. Is it just me or is the server connection rather flaky? Some days I can't connect to my profile no matter what I do, and even when I do it seems to drop out and reconnect at random. I don't have a single character without the "may have been played while not online" stamp on them as a result.

Speaking of characters in the vault, the updating on that seems pretty erratic too... I have two characters so far who perma-died ages ago and are still showing up as alive and in-progress on my account. The save files are gone, as far as I know, so is there any way to update them or are they just kinda quasi-immortal now?

Finally... I was having a lot of fun trying out a Doombringer for the first time, but then discovered that the graphical effect for the Flame of Urh'rok sustain is totally buggered... :/ Apparently it's a known issue that's being worked on, but it was disappointing enough that I ended up shelving the character pending it getting fixed. Biggest thing annoying me is that I don't even know how it's supposed to look... Does anyone have a screenshot or description, at least? I want to know what I'm missing out on, here. :P

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: April 11, 2017, 11:36:54 pm »

Couple things. Is it just me or is the server connection rather flaky? Some days I can't connect to my profile no matter what I do, and even when I do it seems to drop out and reconnect at random. I don't have a single character without the "may have been played while not online" stamp on them as a result.

Its NOT just you. Apparently, the rather large influx of people since 1.5 came out are too much for the old servers.

Finally... I was having a lot of fun trying out a Doombringer for the first time, but then discovered that the graphical effect for the Flame of Urh'rok sustain is totally buggered... :/ Apparently it's a known issue that's being worked on, but it was disappointing enough that I ended up shelving the character pending it getting fixed. Biggest thing annoying me is that I don't even know how it's supposed to look... Does anyone have a screenshot or description, at least? I want to know what I'm missing out on, here. :P

I THINK it looked kind of like flamey wings? Most enemies with Flame of Urh'rok also have Bone Shield, which tends to occlude what lies beneath.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: April 12, 2017, 01:11:40 am »

Every single character I have has disconnects on it. No one cares about it in the slightest unless you're trying for some weird bragging rights shit, and the community for the game REALLY isn't worth that, at all.

It's been so long since I played a doombringer I barely remember what the effect was. I think it was red flames behind your character model.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: April 12, 2017, 06:06:31 am »

I could half swear there's actually an addon that fixes that. Don't actually know, since despite having used only the old UI pretty much since the instant there was a new one, I've never cared enough about buff cancelling to check, but I think I saw or two directed towards fixing that at some point. Might be worth it to check if you give much of a damn about the feature, instead of regularly forget it even exists.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: April 12, 2017, 07:15:51 am »

I have a longtime love hate relationship with this game. Hadn't played for a few years either, and am starting to remember why.

About one out of 20 playthroughs, I am having much fun, for most classes are really unique and well thought out.
The other 19 playthroughs though end in frustration, and me ragequitting at the Eidolon after losing more than one life before getting to level 30.
The mechanics for OOD monsters are really, really bad design. I don't mind losing. Losing is fun, right. But not to completely random, unavoidable, unescapable OOD mobs somewhere in between char level 10-20, forcing me to do the same old, same old, boring (cause not much tactics variation involved yet with low level skills) early game dungeons over and over again, in hopes that I get lucky and get a character to level 30 without running into OOD mobs. After that, OOD mobs become mostly manageable.
I mean don't get me wrong, I have a few wins under my belt, most unlocks done. But from all race / class combinations, I have yet to see the majority's late game.
I just can't bring myself to play the same combination at low levels over and over again. Too boring. Makes me shelf the game for a year or more after a while.
Which saddens me, because I do want to play mid to late game, which is where this game really starts to shine.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 07:17:49 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: April 12, 2017, 08:23:50 am »

Don't let 'waiting for it to get fixed' keep you from your character too long, if you were otherwise enjoying the playthrough. Half a decade on and I'm still waiting for that 'Can't cancel buffs in the old UI mode' bug to get fixed :(

Well, it's not that I'm that broken up about not having the effect, it's just that having your character permanently mostly-hidden behind a big red square is actually shockingly ugly to look at. :P
It seems that the only way to disable it is to disable ALL the OpenGL effects, and I like having the rest of those... If nothing happens in the next bugfix release or two, though, I guess I'll probably relent.

Meanwhile, I'm trying an Anorithil right now, which I... never actually tried before, due to the overcomplicated resource management headache. Now that it's up and running and can regen negative energy passively, though, it's surprisingly fun. I'm quite enjoying the "walk into a room and watch everything die before you even use a skill" deal they have going on.
Sustain that fires attacks at nearby enemies whenever you crit + sustain that fires attacks at nearby enemies every turn and can crit + passive that increases your crit rate by 20% = very hands-off murder. I suspect it'll fall off in effectiveness once I hit the mid-late-game, but for now it's pretty hilarious. :P

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: April 12, 2017, 10:33:51 am »

After much trial and error, I've finally managed to get a character into the mid-to-late game, returning from the East and working my way through the new bosses (in regular mode - and a damn good thing too, since I've had my share of one-hit KOs) with a Cornac cursed. Decided not to go with fiddling around with the curses tree, and am somewhat regretting that, simply because I'm running out of places to put my generic points.

Biggest 'whoops' so far was opening the door to the "Death Room" - although I didn't get fragged immediately, I also hadn't completely cleared the armory and still needed to kill the boss and grab the plot item. So I'd just finished working my way through a solid mass of orcs, doing well, just about to start looting when... Wham! Dead.

Scroll up to see that I was incinerated by dragonfire. Well, shit - I still need to get the plot item. So I resurrect, carefully work my way through, manage to make it to the vault where the item is, grab it, hit the teleportation rod... and Wham! I'm blinded and burning. It doesn't quite kill me instantly, and so I'm running behind pillars, just trying to stay out of the line of fire (which is hard when you can't see where the fire's coming from!), using all my talents and items, hoping that the teleport will pop before I'm incinerated.

Long story short: it did not. Room of Death - not even once. Would not recommend.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: April 12, 2017, 11:06:46 am »

Yeah, the room of death is best postponed a few more character levels. Most classes just aren't ready to take them on at the level you are at when visiting the armory for the first time.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: April 12, 2017, 02:58:56 pm »

I could half swear there's actually an addon that fixes that. Don't actually know, since despite having used only the old UI pretty much since the instant there was a new one, I've never cared enough about buff cancelling to check, but I think I saw or two directed towards fixing that at some point. Might be worth it to check if you give much of a damn about the feature, instead of regularly forget it even exists.

I forget why, off-hand, but I'm sure there's reason to cancel buffs sometimes. Something like you've got a weak regeneration effect and need to cancel it to activate the stronger one, something like that.

And I'm still surprised people use the new UI over the old one. Different strokes, I guess, but I find the new one cluttered and confusing. I'm grateful the old one still exists as an option, though, plenty of developers don't show that courtesy.
I know the ooze tree, I think, has an regen on heal passive that is useful but not very strong compared to a good infusion.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: April 12, 2017, 05:02:14 pm »

It's the Fungus tree.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: April 12, 2017, 05:30:52 pm »

I'm having a hard time figuring out early posessors. Advice?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 163