Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: The Zombocalypse Is Coming  (Read 40547 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
The Zombocalypse Is Coming
« on: March 01, 2011, 07:20:32 am »

What is the Zombocalypse?
The Zombie Apocalypse. Z Alpha. A zombie game, inspired by the gameplay of Liberal Crime Squad, with graphics and audio, and playable in a browser window. The initial game release will lose a lot of the LCS scale and will focus instead on creating satisfying action-roguelike combat and exploration with a sole survivor, in an urban setting. I hope to organically expand from there into a more strategic dimension after a core solo game is in place.

Friday Dev Log
January 20th, 2012 - This week I fixed a couple of bugs, then got started on the next core gameplay element -- melee attacks and zombies hitting you. This went pretty quickly because I'd already implemented it in the earlier build, seen in the latest preview video, so it finished up fairly early, including a completely new weapon (the knife). Once player death was in the game, I added a reset button and tweaked some numbers to play with balance and feel for the game, such as making zombies handle difficult terrain much more slowly than humans, making zombies sturdier, and slowing down your move speed.

I then enabled door opening, and added door closing by holding shift when bumping into the door. I'm not sure if that's the best way to handle it; maybe clicking the door, or having shift be a global interaction-on-bump key, complete with icons over things you can interact with while holding it (push/pull icon over a piece of furniture, open/close icons over doors, etc). I have to think about that some more. I moved on to flashing the player and zombies when they take damage, which I think is a small thing that really helps the feel of the game. The videos showed zombies flickering briefly when hit, but I prefer this. I then added a minimap in the bottom of the screen, which shows a scrolling view of the local area of the city you're in, and remembers what tiles you have explored, so you can start filling out your map of the area. The underlying map used by the minimap can later be used in a larger map too.

After serious consideration, I think that point-and-shoot isn't very compatible with the way I'm physically presenting the world, and the very tile-based gameplay I'm going for, so I started to think about other ways to target enemies of your choice. The last thing I did for the game was put the ability to click a zombie and force all attacks to go for that target. The lock-on is only lost if the zombie dies or drops out of range or view; you can shoot past other zombies to target one in the back.

January 13th, 2012 - I started the week by working to optimize the lighting and field of view calculations, substituting a faster but more restrictive algorithm. Performance gains seem to be good, but I'm still testing on a relatively fast machine, and will need to hear how the game is running on other computers as well. I added zombies, zombie movement and hunting, window breaking, and shooting. I needed a break from just re-implementing old features, so I also added a crosshair that shows on the currently targeted zombie if the attack button is being held.

The previous overlay for bullet trails actually used a map-sized bitmap in memory that was written to and erased from on a frame-by-frame basis, which was forgivably clunky on a small map, but proved completely unfeasible on the huge map I'm currently using. The new tracer fire looks almost the same, but should run much faster -- the only major difference is that the layering has the gunshots drawing on top of the player and the zombies, rather than the characters drawing over the gunshots. I liked the other way more, but I'll need to change how the characters are drawn to support moving them off the map layer.

Of the things in the preview video that aren't yet re-implemented, the major remaining features are melee attacks, blood, door opening, and items. Weapons are only half-made -- they can shoot, and track ammo, but aren't in the world and don't interact with the HUD properly.

January 6th, 2012 - I'm in the middle of extending the new engine to support the large open world of the previous engine and integrate the city-generator for the first time. The game is partially disassembled and I'm going through it slowly putting features back in -- I've done this twice now, because my inexperience with engine architecture keeps catching up with me. Many things, such as enemy AI, combat, and opening doors, are currently inoperable, but can be re-added fairly easily. The city generator is now integrated for the first time, and one sample building is being loaded in. I'm not satisfied with the way the buildings are interacting with the street layout, and have been thinking of different ways to arrange buildings around streets.

Friday Alpha Build - January 20th, 2012
www.jonathansfox.com/ZSS/Z_Alpha_Week3.swf
- Click the screen to give it keyboard focus. Click enemies to mark them as a preferred target.
- Use WASD, number pad, or arrow keys to move.
- F to toggle flashlight. No flashlight makes you super stealthy.
- Hold shift when moving into an open doorway to close the door instead.
- Hold space to attack, or bump into enemies to melee them. 1-3 to switch your primary weapon.
- Press escape to reset the game if you die.

Screenshots
December 14th, 2011 - New Sprites (shown above)
December 9th, 2011 - Lighting, Blood, Death
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 03:56:36 pm by Jonathan S. Fox »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Zombocalypse Is Coming
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 07:33:34 am »

Alright, thread round two, start!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 07:48:42 am »

INB4ACCIDENTAL/VIRALDELETION

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:08:43 am »

What about Easter Egg characters, like the M16 toting 'nam vet' Bill?  :D

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:16:45 am »

A smoking zombie that tries to give survivors French kisses?

Will the infection have a backstory? Is it a virus or something occult?

How about making the game randomize it whether the zombification is biological or occult. Then there could be some skills - like science and occult/sorcery - that are helpful with the right scenario and useless with the wrong one... and you can't know which one the game is about till after you've played a while. These skills could mainly be used for small bonus stuff, like, I don't know - developing immunisation to the infection with scientific skills or building anti-zombie amulets with occultism that grant defense bonus vs zeds in combat.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 09:22:52 am »

How bout... a choose your own zombie game?

Rate it with difficulty level... :P   Add more abilities/perks to zombies, increase difficulty!  Fun for the nub and veteran alike?!
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 10:47:07 am »

Sounds exciting!  I'm eager to see what you come up with, and maybe participate (though my flash-fu is my weakest fu).  From what you described, it's a refreshingly survival-oriented game.  I love Left4Dead to death but it doesn't really convey the desperation of an apocalypse, once you realize you have infinite ammo and the survivors are permanently immune (even to death, basically).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 10:56:11 am »

I'm still interested!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 12:27:58 pm »

What will it be, a 2d art based game? If so, I would like to participate in spriting. ;)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 05:54:32 pm »

What will it be, a 2d art based game? If so, I would like to participate in spriting. ;)
Same here, I need practice.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Yannanth

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 08:59:31 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:13:35 pm by Yannanth »

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 11:07:57 pm »

I think that, looking at the win conditions Jonathan has planned, that may not be a problem. A few of them are amenable to being solved piecemeal, especially founding a permanent settlement. Even flying to Madagascar and curing the zombie virus could work nicely like that; for the plane ending, clear out an airport, get a plane, repair it (assuming it is damaged, which, for the sake of the narrative, I think it should be), get enough fuel for a long flight, enough food and equipment to let you kick off life in Madagascar and getting a pilot or teaching someone.

As for curing the zombie virus, it could also be broken up into stages with some creativity. Maybe you need to capture zombies and experiment on them, get equipment from labs (possibly find the research from ground zero if it's a "science gone awry" start scenario), devote time to the research and contact immune survivors to get anecdotal evidence (or experiment on them for the "saved the world but at what cost" trope).

What type of gameplay will it have, by the way? I assume a top-down perspective, but will it be LCS-style turn-based, tactical turn-based (e.g. Fallout Tactics, Ogre Tactics, etc.), or real-time shooter?

GTM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 11:57:39 pm »

This should be a key principle in all game design, I believe as a gamer, and it should be present in this game in some way, shape or form

And all music should have a pop hook so everyone can appreciate it.  And all movies should be simple with lots of action scenes for mass appeal.  Your advice is great for earning revenue, but not necessarily for making a game people will still be talking about 5-10 years from now.

DF and LCS are not hard at all, they just have gnarly graphics and unusual UIs that turn some people off.  The actual gameplay is easy unless you impose challenges on yourself or play on a hard difficulty.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 05:47:44 am »

Good luck with your project ! I am looking forward seeing the result !

And this gave me the desire to keep working on my simulation spreadsheet (my post was deleted with last thread, but luckily I made the same in another forum : http://forums.zafehouse.com/index.php/topic,445.0.html ).

I plan to add the following mecanism :
- Before the outbreak people work (to bring in food, maintain various things). At present time, even without outbreak, people would starve

- New causes of death :
-- Crushed in the rush to get supplies, leave town
-- Cholera
-- Deshydratation

- New activities :
-- kill the infected (but not turned into zombies), with a chance to kill uninfected one.
-- Activelly search zombies
-- Maintain order (to avoid stamped where supplies is, and fight riots)
-- Gather information (on where zombies are -more efficient to avoir them, more efficient to find them, where supplies, weapons and medicines are)
-- Riots (against killing the infected and quarantine)
-- Waste management (avoids cholera)
-- Reconstruction of basic network system

- Basic description of the outer world (out of the infected area)
-- Based on awareness of the infection, would send supplies, quarantine, army
-- Make these intervention discrete (not every day, but once a  week, or every few days).
-- Question : should I make soldiers sent in town another class ? Or normal citizens with weapons ?

- Some city services
-- Electricity (exact use to be defined)
-- Water supply
-- Waste disposal
-- Communication (lets outerworld know the situation on what happends in infected area, and maybe inside improves awareness of problem and general knowledge of Zd's,...)
-- Food supply
-- Transportation

- Concepts :
-- I might add the awareness of the infection (in the population and outerworld). It would have a large impact on each others reaction according to fighting infection, surviving or trying to keep working, supplies sent,...
-- Also, I wont model group size, but might add something such as social cohesion.

Whouhou ! that's a lot of things ! But the beauty with work on a spreadsheet is that it is 10 times quicker to test something than when creating a video game.

Maybe some ideas coming for you Jonathan ! (Even if you don't look at the initial time, at least having an idea how things might have happened ...)

Yannanth

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 11:00:14 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:13:42 pm by Yannanth »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17