Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: The Zombocalypse Is Coming  (Read 40549 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: The Zombocalypse Is Coming
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 06:04:27 am »

I like these ideas. Sometimes you need a witch or a priest... sometimes you need a scientist. What other kinds of zombie origin stories exist?

Aliens. Body snatchers and controlling parasites, fungi from outer space - something from out there.

Some kind of technological gizmo that makes people crazy, like the transmission in the Signal.

Control chips in the brains, ran by Skynet-type evil AI. Cyborg zombies, borg-style. 

I suppose a Cthulhu Mythos zombie apocalypse would be possible too, like In the Mouth of Madness, where a certain cultural product spreads the infection. (Have you seen the Yellow Sign? Have you read Sutter Cane?)

I think origin story is important in two senses. First, undead zombies should be tougher than virus zombies. No matter how strangely the virus mutates the human, there are limits what the body can take, for example, when shot at. A walking corpse on the other hand... to disable a walking corpse, you'd need to blow it into bits or snap the spine. Everything else is just making holes and many weapons, like, say, a spear or small-calibre pistols, are bound to be very ineffective.

Second, it tells how permanent the problem is going to be and thus what are viable solutions to the survivors. If the zeds are just sick and it turns them into..well...zombies, then just waiting it out is a good solution. If they can't take care of themselves, they'll die from thirst and hunger eventually. If the zeds are undead or directed by outside intelligence... well... much worse.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2011, 06:57:28 am »

I like these ideas. Sometimes you need a witch or a priest... sometimes you need a scientist. What other kinds of zombie origin stories exist?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_%28novel%29
One of my favourite :D.

P.S.
Some kind of technological gizmo that makes people crazy, like the transmission in the Signal.
Wow, I just googled it, and it looks like the theme is close to the Cell. Awesome! Thanks for telling me, I am SO gonna watch it :D.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 07:00:44 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 06:59:15 am »

Also, how do you destroy them ?
- If they are infected bodies by a virus, fungi - or human beings controlled by something else - anything normally killing a human should kill them (with more or lesse resistance). Though, that might not solve the problem of the infection agent.
- If they are magical/ highly mutated ones or infected by very special things, then the amount of destruction could be very different (each body part has its own life, then you have burn/dissolve everything ; or need to remove heart, severe head,...)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 07:01:41 am »

- If they are magical/ highly mutated ones or infected by very special things, then the amount of destruction could be very different (each body part has its own life, then you have burn/dissolve everything ; or need to remove heart, severe head,...)
Tactical dismemberment (c)? :D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2011, 10:20:54 am »

Tactical dismemberment (c)? :D
Necromorph Zombie Outbreak?
I'm all in

kotor39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2011, 05:39:20 pm »

I got a couple Ideas to toss around
First I will give an example of a short little free online game that is quite close to what you are talking about, its worth checking it out for 20 seconds. The part about it you might want to look at is the random events after each turn. http://armorgames.com/play/10572/rebuild
Second, I am going to give some possible end conditions if you are looking for some.
1.Have a fully functioning permanent settlement (With this you could work into a time lapse system like the LCS wait system when you pass months by. After your settlement works autonomously for 2-5 years, it could start throwing other random goals at you,
           Survive against Large zombie horde (20,000)
           Survive against the huge bandit army (2,000)
           Rebuild after natural disaster (ex. Hurricane, You could make holes in walls, destroyed buildings,          dead people, scattered resources)
           Get at least 200 people over to the small island
           Get at least 200 people over to the mainland
           Get the cure from the outpost 1,000 miles away
           Become the #1 city in all of Post Apocalypse mainland America

My questions
1. How big are you thinking, LCS sized squads or like 50 people squads or would it be dynamic sized, because personally I would like nothing more than seeing my squad of 5 people and then 300 turns later or whatever, seeing those same 5 people governing a functioning settlement of 100 people.
2.Would it be just survival, or would it be survive and rebuild.
3. Would this game have 1 release or would you constantly be sending out releases.

MORE TO COME

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2011, 03:19:32 pm »

Aww, Majestic took the types I wanted to say :P

Alien - Think Chryssalids! Or the spider-zombies from the book Breeding Ground. No saving these guys though...
Cyborg Zombies - Like the cybermen! Well, probably more just enough cybernetic bits to control them... but with wounded zombies being dragged back to the factory to be repaired and come back at you again. Obviously no infection mechanic here, other than corpses getting taken and converted.

Anyways, I'm sure no matter what you decide on it will be really cool, but I've always been a fan of having an element of "discovery" where it's "what will work THIS time!?" (see: Strange Adventures in Infinite Space)

If you do go with things like random zombie source/random skills important and stuff, there's a lot of enjoyable potential there.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 03:21:37 pm by GlyphGryph »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2011, 04:39:55 pm »

Aww, Majestic took the types I wanted to say :P

Alien - Think Chryssalids! Or the spider-zombies from the book Breeding Ground. No saving these guys though...
Cyborg Zombies - Like the cybermen! Well, probably more just enough cybernetic bits to control them... but with wounded zombies being dragged back to the factory to be repaired and come back at you again. Obviously no infection mechanic here, other than corpses getting taken and converted.

Anyways, I'm sure no matter what you decide on it will be really cool, but I've always been a fan of having an element of "discovery" where it's "what will work THIS time!?" (see: Strange Adventures in Infinite Space)

If you do go with things like random zombie source/random skills important and stuff, there's a lot of enjoyable potential there.
Oh god Stroggs...

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2011, 06:56:04 pm »

My Prediction

1.Jonathan releases a alpha (Buggy)
2.Jonathan Fixes lots of bugs (Still alpha)
3.Deon Makes huge graphics overhaul (And they're epic looking)
4.Jonathan does more updates, gets to Beta.
5.Source is opened a little bit.
6.Deon Makes Overhaul (ZOMBIES ERRYWHERE!)
7.Jonathan officially releases the game. (Still updates it)
8. Deon adds stuff to Official release (Also updates)
9.Jonathan and Deon Team up and make games.
10.Jonathan and Deon Own the gaming market, along with my future company. (TEE-HEE)
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2011, 02:13:07 am »

Hehe. You overestimate my abilities I guess :). I only dabble in Delphi, python and C.

I would like to participate in game development seriously, but I didn't dare even to try it. Now all my income comes from system administration and translations from other languages. Games for me are hobbies, and I rarely pay for them and don't expect any income from modding or helping others. If anything, I enjoy it and I could pay to mod some great game, not earn from it :). Because it's one of my favourite types of Fun.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2011, 10:37:18 am »

This sounds incredibly fun.
Good luck with the project man.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2011, 11:18:52 am »

Genius, build your own zombies and random zombies option.

Replayableness for the win.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2011, 01:52:11 pm »

Definitely looking forward to this. Randomized zombies would be great, along with LCS mechanics. Another interesting idea: Perhaps the ability to change setting or time period, for example, you could have steampunk zombies or stone age zombies or even ninja zombies. Another interesting thing would be to play AS the zombies.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2011, 07:20:09 am »

Well we don't like the guy that hired you then.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2011, 08:37:19 am »

I am not interested in this game sorry.
I am not interested in this game sorry.

You felt the need to post that twice?
With no content?
I smell a smelly smell, and it smells of elves...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17