Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Epic RL volcano embark, Mount Nyiragongo  (Read 33238 times)

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Epic RL volcano embark, Mount Nyiragongo
« on: March 01, 2011, 12:41:19 pm »

Mount Nyiragongo is a fascinating spot, hosting one of the world's rare "permanent" surface lava lakes.  The Big Picture recently featured a dramatic photo essay of the June 2010 expedition to the crater, including what is believed to be the first successful attempt to reach the actual edge of the lake and survive.  (Note: in Google Earth, the best way to get the actual spot is to enter "Mt Nyiragongo, Democratic Republic of the Congo" into the search box, which should get you a spot high on the North rim.)  For a more scientific report with some interesting info, see the Smithsonian Global Volcano Program page, which I have used for some of the more specific numbers; but go look at the amazing photos first!  In particular, #20 is both a dramatic picture that puts a scale to the whole thing, and perhaps the closest depiction of what it would look like when a dwarf goes to tap a volcanic pipe that we're ever going to get in reality.  Some additional information, and some older but still interesting photos, are at PhotoVolcanica's page, focused mainly on the 2002 eruption. 

The lava lake is approximately circular, between 220m and 230m (720' - 755') across; this is probably larger than an entire embark square (48x48 dwarf-cubes, which depending on debate are probably between 3' (~0.9m) and 20' (~6m) across, and typically assumed to be on the lower end of that range; I personally tend to think something in the 5' (~1.5m) to 2m (~6.5') range is the best fit, and will use 2m from here on for simplicity, so a dwarf-tile is 4 m^2 and a dwarf-cube is 8 m^3).  So about 112 tiles across; a 3x3 embark would barely encircle the central pool with enough room to work around the edges, and it has roughly 10,000 tiles of lava at the surface.

If the lava lake were ~500 m deep and in the shape of an inverted cone, with 40 m and 225 m for bottom and top diameters, respectively, the team conservatively estimated its volume as approximately 7.5-10 x 10^6 m^3
That's equivalent to roughly a million dwarf-cubes of magma to work with, and it refills rapidly...
Since the last eruption (January 2002), the surface of the lava lake has risen regularly (figure 46). The surface ascends towards the crater rim due to a constant influx of magma at an approximate average rate of ~4.8 m per month (~57 m/year).
Call it 2 new cubes in height per month, or about 20,000 more cubes every month... how's your pumping system?  :)

The lowest (ε, epsilon) terrace looks like it would neatly fit a 5x5 embark.  Going up to a 7x7 or 8x8 embark should get you most of the γ (gamma) terrace, where the team set up their camp as seen in #10.  The volcano as a whole pretty much fills a region tile; the rim is about 1300m across, so you'd need something like a 14x14 embark to have any substantial amount of land on the outward-facing slopes all around.  The inner slopes are also quite steep; see this preliminary scale drawing from the SI page, and note that unlike most drawings of the type, the vertical scale is NOT exaggerated. 

We badly need a "region painter" so that this sort of thing could be set up... or better yet, world generation that was capable of randomly generating this sort of thing on its own in high-vulcanism worlds! :)

Edit: There was a more recent (Jan. 2011) expedition to Mt. Nyiragongo, which while it didn't get nearly as close to the lava still got some excellent pictures
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:54:11 pm by Miuramir »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Epic RL volcano embark, Mount Nyiragongo
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 12:48:23 pm »

The seven members of the expedition

Holy shit, DF == RL.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 01:20:11 pm »

Awesome.

The person in picture 20 really put the scale in perspective!

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 01:46:35 pm »

In Soviet RussiaAfrica, Earth Strikes You!

The orange helmet and mask is awesome looking. I just realized we're in the future of old, cause that is frikkin' cool.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 02:21:17 pm »

Thankfully we don't weaponize magma in RL.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Bobinater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 01:05:52 am »

Did those dwarfs seem a little tall to you guys?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 01:23:22 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

right there, strike the earth!

edit: doesn't seem so tall now does he?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 09:36:06 am »

We don't? This desperately needs to be fixed.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 09:38:00 am »

Now that's just win!

We don't? This desperately needs to be fixed.

Seconded
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 11:58:02 am »

Obviously I must travel there and combat my rival above it .
Thank you based dwarf.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 01:00:45 pm »

*cue Mordor leitmotif*
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 01:53:46 pm »

*cue Mordor leitmotif*

ere the Giant Eagles get hungry?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 02:45:37 am »

This is the only volcano in the world that I know of that has killed a significant number of people through lava. (usual cause of death is you get gassed, crushed, drowned, or just plain blown away)

Oh, and to increase its dwarfiness, Back in 1977 the lake burst, and Boatmurdered's Project Fuck the World was made real:

Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 03:13:40 am »

Welcome to Slaves to Armok Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress: Histories of X and Y, everybody.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 03:25:16 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

right there, strike the earth!

edit: doesn't seem so tall now does he?

That volcano rim is at least 2 z-levels high. I see a rough-hewn Obsidian wall and an Obsidian upward Slope. Quick! Somebody set up a Magma forge! Wall this baby off before the Goblins come!
I
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p
Pages: [1] 2 3