Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Scrolls: New game in development by Mojang (Notch's company)  (Read 23989 times)

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
Re: New game from Notch, creator of minecraft
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 09:41:38 am »

Maybe people who bought Minecraft while it was in alpha will get closed alpha testing...
As an Alpha player, i hope it works this way
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 09:57:45 am »

Ill just post here what i just said in RPS:

"So? Who cares if the minecraft team are making another game? its not like notch innovated anything in minecraft.

the right theme with the right halfly stolen name in the right time who simplified the right mechanics made a hit. good for him, really, i am all for zynga and notch bringing games to the masses, my gf loves farmvile! i love minecraft! played it for weeks!

but its not like ill be all drooling over a new simcity announced game by zynga, as i wont be excited by any other game made by notch.

Good luck for him. though, i hope he didnt waste his money on a ferrari, he’ll need those reserves."

and i really believe this comment will sound alot more logical in bay12 than in RPS.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 10:17:38 am »

Maybe people who bought Minecraft while it was in alpha will get closed alpha testing...
As an Alpha player, i hope it works this way

If you read, http://www.minecraft.net/copyright.jsp, before buying then it does say that he doesn't promise to finish the game. I reckon he will anyway though as he's not said to be involved in the new one.

{RPS quote}

Pretty much my view as well. I wasn't expecting anything from him and it looks like they are working on a generic strategy card game, of which there are many and makes me wonder why they mention a wish for that gap to be filled. Maybe it will be fun, I'm sure some people will like it, and good luck to him.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 10:55:01 am »

The title is misleading, Notch isn't going to put high attention to this, but it is in his company.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 11:56:50 am »

From the site:
a game we felt was missing in the gaming market...elements from the collectible card game genre as well as from traditional board games.

Missing in the gaming market?  Really?  Like we don't have enough Collectible Card Games out there already.  He goes from making one of the most revolutionary games in history to this?  :o

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 12:00:17 pm »

From the site:
a game we felt was missing in the gaming market...elements from the collectible card game genre as well as from traditional board games.

Missing in the gaming market?  Really?  Like we don't have enough Collectible Card Games out there already.  He goes from making one of the most revolutionary games in history to this?  :o

I think he hinted there would be a physical element to it, I think this will play out like warhammer, where you have a strat before you go to the table, and then take actions on the table in real time
Thank you based dwarf.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 12:08:08 pm »

From the site:

The title is misleading, Notch isn't going to put high attention to this, but it is in his company.

Damnit, someone change the topic name!

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 12:09:42 pm »

As long as we don't have to pay real money for card packs this could be fun, but the second he makes us dish out money for more and more randomly drawn cards, I stop supporting the game. Paying money that you earn in the game is fine though.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 12:12:12 pm »

It's not that misleading.  I just quoted that it was both Markus and Jakob who came up with this idea, so Notch is obviously pushing it pretty hard (including his money).  I'm saying that it's weird that such an unoriginal idea could come from someone who created Minecraft.

I could be proved wrong down the road, but there's nothing in that promo that really jumps out as new to me.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 12:41:01 pm »

Remember that with few exceptions, every game company has put out some real losers. It's also possible that Notch scored big on Minecraft and just got lucky, and won't ever producing anything else worthwhile. That's if you like Minecraft. I can see getting really bored with it unless he adds in a LOT more randomization. To carry itself it really needs at least ten times as much content, which might spring from greater randomization but who knows? Regardless, 10 to 50 times as much content is necessary.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 12:42:49 pm »

Minecraft itself ain't that original to begin with, to my knowledge it was based on some prototype indie game which was basically only block mining and building using the materials and nothing else. Although a card-based strategy game is quite a few levels below that in originality by now. DotA clone level. Any lower and he'll be involved in tower defence games.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 01:07:59 pm »

You build a tower out of collectible cards and then have to defend it against stickman zombies riding on skateboards. Then there's a platformer level and a mini-game involving falling blocks that you need to match up to fill up lines. The boss fight is an FPS where you have to blow up crates to get ammo. There are poorly-implemented stealth elements. You have a knife, pistol, shotgun, machinegun, rocket launcher, and grenades. It looks like there are two story paths but they converge at every level so the game plays exactly the same either way.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 01:33:44 pm »

Remember that with few exceptions, every game company has put out some real losers. It's also possible that Notch scored big on Minecraft and just got lucky, and won't ever producing anything else worthwhile. That's if you like Minecraft. I can see getting really bored with it unless he adds in a LOT more randomization. To carry itself it really needs at least ten times as much content, which might spring from greater randomization but who knows? Regardless, 10 to 50 times as much content is necessary.

my vote.

1.5 million sales of minecraft, and i dont even find the game has changed much since i bought it over a year ago. meh.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 01:46:53 pm »

From the site:

I think he hinted there would be a physical element to it, I think this will play out like warhammer, where you have a strat before you go to the table, and then take actions on the table in real time

I also directly thought "WTF, this is original?!" when I read that new webpage. Even if it promises "physical"/strategy elements, heck, I'm pretty sure I've played at least one such game before (was some sort of post-apocalyptic build-your-deck game with a board and base building stuff if I remember correctly, cant remember the name).

Minecraft itself ain't that original to begin with, to my knowledge it was based on some prototype indie game which was basically only block mining and building using the materials and nothing else.

I believe it was Infiniminer by Zachtronics Industries, if anyone cares.

I can see getting really bored with it unless he adds in a LOT more randomization. To carry itself it really needs at least ten times as much content, which might spring from greater randomization but who knows? Regardless, 10 to 50 times as much content is necessary.

I'd say what is needed is not pure randomization, as that mostly leads to psychedelic blandness if done badly, and is really hard to do well (and considering recent minecraft development originality/pace, I am seriously starting to doubt Notch was more than just a lucky guy, not some brilliant visionary that can truly make original things). What we'd REALLY need is proper mod support. I can guarantee that that would at the least push it to Oblivion-level staying-power on the community level, probably far more.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2011, 03:43:35 pm »

Just thought I'd throw out there because people bring up Infiniminer often: the resemblance is pretty much exclusively the fact that blocks are in the game. MC really doesn't resemble Infiniminer in any other way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7