Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Scrolls: New game in development by Mojang (Notch's company)  (Read 23524 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: New game from Notch, creator of minecraft
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2011, 08:17:10 pm »

He's putting his name behind it, like I said in my post. His name is going to be what gets people to try it.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2011, 08:21:44 pm »

I could change the title, I suppose.  I don't think I was being that misleading, and certainly not on purpose.  When I stumbled across that page, I saw "mojang" and instantly thought "Notch".
Gimme a new title and I'll swap it.
If I can figure out how to, anyway.
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2011, 08:25:30 pm »

Just edit the OP to change the subject.

And a good subject might be: Scrolls: New game from Mojang and Notch
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2011, 08:59:58 pm »

Call it "Scrolls: A new game from Notch's company"
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2011, 09:12:32 pm »

...alot more logical...

I can't help but imagine an Alot saying he's more logical than anyone else in this thread.

And really, guys, I think we should let this thing get to the closed alpha before public opinion tears it apart.

That said, someone made a good point about the simulating a simulation of units - why not just go full-bore and make a game played like Warhammer is on tabletop? Because Warhammer (and its cousin Warhammer 40k) is a huge juggernaut of a product. Making something similar (or, hell, working with Games Workshop to make a virtual tabletop wargame) could really be a better idea than a CCG emulator.

But then, this is a game developer we're talking about. Notch will make the game because he wants to, not because he wants more sales.

But no matter what happens, this isn't going to be viewed as Mojang's next game. It'll be viewed as Notch's next game, even if he does zero development - because in the minds of the vast majority of the world, Notch is Mojang.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2011, 09:42:25 pm »

Another CCG? If I wanted that I'd just go to Vassal.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2011, 10:01:35 pm »

But no matter what happens, this isn't going to be viewed as Mojang's next game. It'll be viewed as Notch's next game, even if he does zero development - because in the minds of the vast majority of the world, Notch is Mojang.

This is pretty well how I feel about it, but I'm happy to change the title, since people seem to feel that it is misleading.  Only one thing: how the heck do I change the title?
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2011, 10:10:04 pm »

Penny Arcade are writing, and I assume, doing art for it. That's pretty cool, and I sort of enjoy card games so I'll be keeping my eye on this.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2011, 10:13:43 pm »

This is pretty well how I feel about it, but I'm happy to change the title, since people seem to feel that it is misleading.  Only one thing: how the heck do I change the title?
Change it like you would a filename. Go to the forum hub, double click on the thread, and type in the new title.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2011, 08:47:32 am »

I don't see much wrong with associating Notch with this project. People associate Peter Molyneux with a lot of things even though he apparently doesn't actually do anything himself anymore besides presentations and being some kind of visionary.

Penny Arcade are writing, and I assume, doing art for it. That's pretty cool, and I sort of enjoy card games so I'll be keeping my eye on this.
Are they trying to make this game comedic?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2011, 01:17:21 pm »

You're actually referring to Penny Arcade as "comedy"?!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2011, 01:44:00 pm »

You're actually referring to Penny Arcade as "comedy"?!
Well, it's comedy for some people apparently. And I've never seen them do anything that'd look serious. I'm still puzzled if the Dragon Age comic was an attempt at seriousness or being funny.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2011, 02:50:44 pm »

I don't see much wrong with associating Notch with this project. People associate Peter Molyneux with a lot of things even though he apparently doesn't actually do anything himself anymore besides presentations and being some kind of visionary.

It is wrong if the ONLY thing that is going on is the Creator of Minecraft slapping his name on a product and then raking in the money because people are dumb enough to think that the Creator of Minecraft have anything to do with making said game. It's like having Tom Clancy's Bejeweled or Peter Molyneux's Zuma.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2011, 03:22:46 pm »

It is wrong if the ONLY thing that is going on is the Creator of Minecraft slapping his name on a product and then raking in the money because people are dumb enough to think that the Creator of Minecraft have anything to do with making said game. It's like having Tom Clancy's Bejeweled or Peter Molyneux's Zuma.
Well, it's supposed to be his idea for a game. And that's more than could be said for most Tom Clancy games. A Tom Clancy game is a Tom Clancy game due to the story being based on Tom Clancy's works but written by someone else and Tom Clancy not really having anything to do with it. Imagine if they called Fallout 3 "Tim Cain's Fallout 3" (or by whoever was responsible for most of the writing in FO1) - that's essentially how Tom Clancy games work.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Thread Titling 101
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2011, 03:54:03 pm »

It is only partially Notch's idea.  Even then, he's not doing any development.  Jakob Porser is the project lead.
"New game" isn't very descriptive either.  People want to know what the thread is about at a glance.  If this thread were to persist with that title up until Notch/co. start developing another new game, that would be confusing.

Scrolls: New game in development by Mojang, developers of Minecraft
would be the most accurate title, but is obnoxiously long, so the reference to Minecraft aught not to be included.

Scrolls: TCG in development by Mojang
would be efficient.  Perhaps not entirely accurate, but that's what the actual OP content is for.

We had problems with the Minecraft thread title for a while for similar reasons -- "Minecraft: Like Infiniminer, but in Java, and in Alpha" was the thread title long after the Infiniminer craze died off, and for a bit after it went into beta.  And it was fairly long.

To edit the thread title, just edit the original post and change the subject, much as I did with this post.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7