Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Scrolls: New game in development by Mojang (Notch's company)  (Read 23952 times)

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
Re: Scrolls: New game in development by Mojang (Notch's company)
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2013, 02:31:15 pm »

I am playing it and I am really enjoying it so far
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Eduardo X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2013, 04:35:00 pm »

I bit the bullet and have been playing.

It's fun. I love the tactical map for all the strategy it forces on you. It makes it more than just about choosing the best cards for your deck, which is great.

The bad part is that I chose an Order deck to start with, and that makes the game very hard. Order decks seem to take a long time to really develop, and I am having a hard time winning at all. If you buy it, I'd suggest going with another deck to start.

There are also a very small amount of cards, I think 135 total at the moment. This means you'll be able to build decks quickly, but if, like me, you don't like the starting faction you used, you'll be playing them for quite a long time until you build up the gold to play otherwise.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2013, 08:10:31 pm »

Yeah, I am playing order too. Order is pretty good against energy, but terrible against nature. Once nature starts spamming those wolves and the guys who spawn wolves plus those wild child(or whatever) it's game over. Flip is pretty powerful when facing nature since you want to keep them from bunching up those guys and wild child because of the bonuses the wild one gets when units spawn near her. I am hopeful that we will see our first card expansion packs soon.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2013, 10:02:15 pm »

I've never played CCGs, but I've meant to for a while. I was interested in it as the first alpha footage was release, and from what I've seen, it seems promising. But, the bottom line is whether or not its worth $21. Can I have the internet's opinions?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2013, 10:27:33 pm »

Well given how magic the gathering started out. Right now Scrolls is going to be very simple and straight forward.

The strategy will however unfold and expand as time goes on.

Mind you so will the power creep (if it lasts long enough).

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2013, 05:15:25 am »

It is relatively simple right now, intentionally so I believe. It's in open beta and they are teaching a new sub-division of CCG to people, including those new to CCG mechanics. I think starting with 3 factions and a limited set of cards is a good way to launch. It's a lot like Magic was when it started, but with the added strategy of the board. There are F2P CCG's like Card Hunter that are good, but do require some investment eventually if you don't want to get beat a lot(arguable). There is also Magic itself, with the 2014 right around the corner. I find that one to be convoluted and elitist, which is fine if you are one of the elite vets from back in the day. They will also milk you for your money in addition to the $15(?) purchase.

Scrolls is a surprisingly well balanced and fun CCG. Warning: I don't typically like CCG's and am probably enjoying this more because of the chess/strategy bent.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2013, 05:36:00 am »

Been playing a bit of it, only against AI opponents so far (trying to get through the trials). I like the tactical board where positioning and stuff matters. In my personal opinion though from my limited experience the game feels a bit bottom heavy. As in the most viable strategy so far seems to be just to get up to four-ish energy and spam low level creatures to fill up the board. Basically if you can get a full lane up before the opponent, there does not seem to be any way to reverse it without massive draw luck. And vice versa. Then again this might just be my inexperience.

I see myself dipping into this once and again when I have some time to kill, won't be spending any real money on it though (other than the initial cost). In general I am not a big fan of CCG's either, now I love Card Games (Netrunner, I want to marry you.) but CCG's just have something inherently distasteful about them, I don't know...

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2013, 09:09:43 am »

Yeah, I had the same experience at first and thought that, but there are a bunch of ways to defeat that strategy once you get a little more experience playing. Also, the good news is there is not reason to spend any real money on cards, since gold is so easy to come by and everything can be bought with that right now. I am sure expansions will cost money, but that seems fair and optional.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2013, 11:51:22 am »

Is it worth buying as it is now, or would I enjoy it more if I waited for the game to be more finished?

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2013, 11:55:42 am »

I would say it is worth buying now, even with the limited selection of cards at the moment it is still really fun to play.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2013, 11:58:04 am »

It's finished now, they will be adding more content later. More trials, cards, etc.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2013, 12:06:01 pm »

Is it worth buying as it is now, or would I enjoy it more if I waited for the game to be more finished?

Well, I've been playing since the beta came out about a week ago and been having a great time. Just starting to get my energy deck where I want it to be and I've had some truly great games. I just won a 47 turn energy vs energy where my opponent was running a gravelock deck (mostly small synergistic energy creatures) against my ranged creatures/removal spell deck.

He got a gravelock raider (a weak 1 cost 1 attack creature with relentless, which lets any excess damage to be used on the stuff behind it) and added a magma pack, which doubles attack but destroys the creature after attacking, an iron whip, which adds one damage, does one damage to the creature and decreases it's cooldown by 1 and then finally a desperation, a spell that adds +2 attack for every creature on the enemy row. The gravelock, now a 16 attack relentless creature, killed everything on my middle row and took my idol down to 5 hp. And I managed to come back from it. Great times.

Anyway, in my opinion the game is definitely worth it right now.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2013, 12:14:11 pm »

Enjoying the game much more than expected, going to be real fun once decay and chaos are in. Also, it feels good to get into this from the ground up.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:51:54 pm by Mookzen »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2013, 12:51:33 pm »

I love the stories about the games you guys have played. It's not just entertaining, but educational too!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2013, 05:57:10 pm »

I do wonder if Scrolls will ever have a deck type just for me.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7