Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Scrolls: New game in development by Mojang (Notch's company)  (Read 23519 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: New game from Notch, creator of minecraft
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2011, 03:51:13 pm »

I ran an infiniminer server for a while, and yeah, they are really different games.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2011, 03:59:00 pm »

This sounds like a terrible idea to me.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2011, 04:07:32 pm »

This sounds like a terrible idea to me.
This ^

There's a reason the CCG video game subgenre is more or less dead. It's essentially a redundant genre: a game simulating a game simulating the actions of units. Just cut out the cards, use actual units, and put in real mechanics rather than mechanics meant to simulate real mechanics.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2011, 04:11:33 pm »

I wouldn't like Minecraft so I didn't bought it. Never been a fan of megaprojects even in DF.But it never looked to me as something genial. He was in the right spot in the right time, and the game fancied the right people.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2011, 04:18:48 pm »

Coming from someone who dislikes CCGs:

If done right, this could be fun.

But of course, only if done right, so I do think the odds are against him. Not that I can judge anything yet, all we have is a half-assed page with some images.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2011, 04:32:31 pm »

It seems like no matter how solid a game concept is, as soon as you start calling the bundle of stats that represent attacks and units "cards" the appeal is cut in quarters. One quarter goes down the drain, two quarters go to the people who like CCGs, and the last quarter shows up on the doorstep of the rest of the world, squalling and crying in a blanket. Some people will take it in, give it charity. But most of us? Most of us will just close the door and pretend it's not there until the noise stops.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2011, 04:57:23 pm »

Coming from someone who dislikes CCGs:

If done right, this could be fun.

But of course, only if done right, so I do think the odds are against him. Not that I can judge anything yet, all we have is a half-assed page with some images.

I enjoy the idea of CCGs when they're virtual, but this is what I think, too. Done wrong, it could do more than just be not fun -- as a high profile indie developer, it's a risky move that could leave a bit of tarnish on Notch as a dev, even if it's mostly Jakob/Jahkob doing the work currently.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2011, 05:04:34 pm »

Does sound somewhat similar to Pox Nora.

And Pox Nora is pretty fun, so I think I'll wait and see what they do with this. There is nothing wrong with the idea itself, so it really just depends on the execution.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2011, 05:44:44 pm »

Alright, enough pessimism. You're basicly bashing on the game when all you have is the basic concept. At least wait for the game to take shape; then be my guest, shred it to pieces.
Alternatively, you can read the above  "Haters gonna hate ;)"

I'm hoping they'll succeed with it, because I like the idea.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2011, 06:45:23 pm »

Alright, enough optimism. You're basicly worshipping the game when all you have is the basic concept. At least wait for the game to take shape; then be my guest, praise it all you want.
Alternatively, you can read the above "Lovers gonna Love";)"
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2011, 07:11:16 pm »

Alright, enough optimism. You're basicly worshipping the game when all you have is the basic concept. At least wait for the game to take shape; then be my guest, praise it all you want.
Alternatively, you can read the above "Lovers gonna Love";)"

I'm sorry, why was that reply necessary? Pyrate was pointing out (and rightly) that this thread has been 90% uninformed negativity.

Seriously, though. The idea of cards is no reason to say a game will be bad; it's just a weird bias everyone has for some reason (including me, of course). It sounds like the game has the potential to be really cool and interesting, and if Markus and Jakob haven't found a game like it, I'm willing to bet that the idea has more to it than the three paragraphs on the site.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2011, 07:50:30 pm »

Biag, I think it was. We're putting our thoughts out on this. Minecraft was at the right place, at the right time. This won't. Period. It's going to rely on Notch staking his name and his company's name on it. And if it's decent? Good for him. If it isn't? Well. Then Minecraft will end up like the makers of EVE online. You recognize the name of the game, but the moment the dev's name is used to refer to it, you go "Who're they?".

I'm meh on it. It looks to be Neuroshima, but with real cash pay for random, more likely than not, useless cards which will only irritate you more because you got one useable card, so  you get another pack ad infinitum.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2011, 08:00:55 pm »

Yeah, I gotta say I am very unexcited about this game idea. Even if it turns out to be good, it won't be a game changer, just a good version of something that already exists.

Funny that somebody else in this thread has been thinking this, but yeah, I too dream of a steam-punk FPS with RTS elements where you build your own flying war machines. ^^
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2011, 08:03:23 pm »

CCG games are cashcows, but its nigh impossible to make a successful CCG game today. Why? Because you have to compete with the absolute colossus that is Magic The Gathering, which has been in the market for more then 20 years (me thinks), and is played worldwide, and is a complete fever almost everywhere. Some of the oldest and rarest cards can go for over 1000 USD.

Anyway, just another wannabe CCG that will capitalize on minecraft's fanbase then be forgotten except for a small, sad fanbase.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2011, 08:08:58 pm »

You really aught to change the title, because it has nothing to do with Notch other then being from his company.
He's not one of the developers, and while he might be part of the original idea, that doesn't make it "from" him, his development of it does.  And being that that's not the case, that title is dead wrong.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7