Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Mortal Combat: Scientist Showdown  (Read 18596 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Issac Newton vs. Gordon Freeman
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2011, 02:24:04 pm »

Does Gordon ever actually do science?

Also why are all the scientists in Halflife actually doctors?

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2011, 02:28:36 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ph.D.

Doctors are anyone with a PhD
Hello Hunam

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2011, 02:33:07 pm »

Yes but in this case they are all doctors of medicine.

Unlike Gordon who had a football scholarship and later was given an honorary PHD in quantum physics.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2011, 02:35:56 pm »

Not quite true.  From this page:
The International Affairs Office of the U.S. Department of Education lists over 20 frequently awarded research doctorate degree titles accepted by the National Science Foundation (NSF) as representing degrees equivalent in content and level to the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree.[65] They are:

Doctor of Arts (D.A./D. Arts), Doctor of Business Administration (D.B.A.), Doctor of Church Music (D.C.M.), Doctor of Canon Law (J.C.D./D.C.L.), Doctor of Design (D.Des.), Doctor of Education (Ed.D.), Doctor of Engineering (D.Eng./D.E.Sc./D.E.S.), Doctor of Fine Arts (D.F.A.), Doctor of Health Science (D.H.Sc.), Doctor of Hebrew Letters (D.H.L.), Doctor of Industrial Technology (D.I.T.), Doctor of Juridical Science (J.S.D./S.J.D.), Doctor of Music (D.M.), Doctor of Musical/Music Arts (D.M.A./A.Mus.D./D.Mus.A.), Doctor of Music Education (D.M.E.), Doctor of Modern Languages (D.M.L.), Doctor of Nursing Science (D.N.Sc.), Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Doctor of Public Administration (D.P.A.), Doctor of Physical Education (D.P.E.), Doctor of Public Health (Dr.P.H.), Doctor of Sacred Theology (S.T.D.), Doctor of Science (D.Sc./Sc.D.), Doctor of Social Work (D.S.W.), and Doctor of Theology (Th.D.).

Doctors of Sacred Theology get STDs, apparently.  :)

Point:  You can be a doctor without getting a Ph.D.  This list shows all sorts of alternative doctoral degrees.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2011, 03:03:26 pm »

Doctors of Sacred Theology get STDs, apparently.  :)
Hello Hunam

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Issac Clarke vs. Gordon Freeman
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2011, 03:07:10 pm »

Hmm... if i would choose a favorite characthers between those both... i think i would chose... damn hard choice
I chose... damn they both wear a suit , they both had simmilar proffesions , but well... darn , okay Gordon Freeman!
Desu

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2011, 03:09:42 pm »

Ok... I have to ask

Who is Issac Newton?

Is it that Newton? or some entirely new one?

Because if it is the one I am thinking of, it is the one who did a lot of work in magic and alchemy.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2011, 03:21:05 pm »

It would make for a great one-liner.
Freeman goes to use the Gravity Gun on Newton, only to see Newton put up his palm and deflect the blast back, narrowly missing Freeman.

Camera goes to a close-up of a sneering Newton, who says, "Bitch...I invented gravity."

(Don't even start correcting it...you know it's what they'd do in a Hollywood film)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2011, 03:21:53 pm »

He did a lot of alchemy and theology, yes.  He's more well known for his work in creating the Laws of Motion (they've been superceded by General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics, but they still work pretty well for modelling everyday events), on gravity and on light.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2011, 03:23:12 pm »

He did a lot of alchemy and theology, yes.  He's more well known for his work in creating the Laws of Motion (they've been superceded by General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics, but they still work pretty well for modelling everyday events), on gravity and on light.

Though it is interesting where the bulk of his work was.

Which is why I find it interesting.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2011, 03:36:01 pm »

Meh; the worst Newton would do to you would be to passive-aggressively lose paintings of you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Hooke#Likenesses
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2011, 03:59:03 pm »

XD

Newton dumped the dudes poirtrait in the loo, I know it!

He then proceeded to invent the Fig, and a bar made out of them.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2011, 04:02:41 pm »

Freeman goes to use the Gravity Gun on Newton, only to see Newton put up his palm and deflect the blast back, narrowly missing Freeman.

Camera goes to a close-up of a sneering Newton, who says, "Bitch...I invented gravity."

sigging this.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2011, 04:17:46 pm »

sigging this.
The reason it narrowly missed is because Newtonian gravity calculations are inaccurate as per relativity.  8)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2011, 06:49:40 pm »

sigging this.
The reason it narrowly missed is because Newtonian gravity calculations are inaccurate as per relativity.  8)
sigh, if only I were patient, my sig would be slightly more awesome.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8