Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should there be a Book Discussion thread?

Yes.
- 31 (86.1%)
No.
- 2 (5.6%)
I don't read books.
- 3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Lord of the Flies  (Read 2753 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of the Flies
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 12:31:59 pm »

Your answer can't be wrong, but it can be poorly supported or reasoned.  And it may be impossible to get proper support or reasoning for some answers...

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 12:37:06 pm »

I'm a functional analphabet, so I don't really care for a book discussion board. It makes me feel discriminated against by those who can actually read and write.

Wait...
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 12:54:22 pm »

Your answer can't be wrong, but it can be poorly supported or reasoned.  And it may be impossible to get proper support or reasoning for some answers...
No, he literally circled my thesis and wrote "wrong"
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 12:58:31 pm »

...Yeah, that'd be poor marking at the very least.  Even if he read the essay and legitimately found it lacking, he should've said where it was lacking and then suggest that you should've had a different thesis, rather than just asserting an opinion.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 06:34:41 pm »

Huh.  I was just considering a "Shall we have a book club?" thread yesterday, guess I missed this one going up!

...I read this one in third grade.  Good book.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2011, 02:10:50 pm »

When I was about 12 I listened to the book in audio book format, along side "Animal Farm" my mother summed up most of the context of the book with "It all stems from the old victorian belief that kids are inherently evil and you have to beat it out of them." A fair chunk of what went on in the book went over my head, but what I got out of it was a message I already understood (which as a kid frustrated me because it was teaching me something I already knew) the message was that groups of people are very prone to "mob mentality"... I was actually a fairly philosophical 12 year old, and I''ve gotta say, observing kids in the playground is a great way to learn about how people behave when they're at their most immature.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2011, 07:24:08 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:54:28 pm by Stany »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 09:20:48 pm »

When I was about 12 I listened to the book in audio book format, along side "Animal Farm" my mother summed up most of the context of the book with "It all stems from the old victorian belief that kids are inherently evil and you have to beat it out of them."
Do you mean that Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies have the same basic meaning? I'd say that Animal Farm is more a comment on communism is the USSR rather than simply on mob rule. Or maybe I've misread and you just mean that you had Animal Farm alongside Lord of the Flies.
I meant that I listened to them around the same time... They wanted me to listen to fewer Terry Pratchett books... since new ones were rather hard to find.
Although they are roughly in the same ballpark in terms of meaning.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:22:19 pm by Pnx »
Pages: 1 2 [3]