Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: $305 cash, and no idea what to do with it.  (Read 6312 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: $250 cash, and no idea what to do with it.
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 04:37:42 pm »

I'm tired of saving.

Tired of saving? You're 16. You haven't even begun to be in a situation where you're pressed to save. Better not get sick of it now!

If you don't know what to do with it, then save it until you do or send it to charity, rather than wasting it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2011, 04:53:38 pm »

Sick of saving? Im sick of spending!
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 05:01:26 pm »

I am sick of debting. If I let my debt fester for its full duration, I will end up spending close to 30 thousand dollars in interest. All that for a crappy car I bought for my ex, my education and a couple times where I found myself suddenly unemployed after my company folded.

I would suggest saving it. An extra $250 as a college freshman is a almost a THOUSAND boxes of the good ramen noodles, or a single textbook that you will use for no more than 4 months.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 05:01:49 pm »

Ooh, try this! Always well worth every cent.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2011, 05:03:10 pm »

When I was sixteen, I won £100 (about $160) in cash one day. I can tell you a few things:
-If you keep it around, you will end up spending it in dribs and drabs, and before long it'll all be gone with nothing to show for it.
-If you spend it on something you will enjoy rather than something you will use, it will end up being a waste of money.
-Your parents have had a lot more experience in these matters than you, especially in matters of money. Despite what you may think now, you are probably not mature enough to know what to do. Listen to what they say.
-Spending money for the sake of spending money is an absolutely horrible idea. The fact that you created this thread, asking what it should be spent on, indicates that you are trying to do exactly this. Don't do it.
-The benefits of saving money will come later, and if you save now you will be thankful in the future.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2011, 05:10:30 pm »

The above is very true. It's hard to believe until it hits you in the face later on, but you will, at some point within the next several years, need virtually all the money you can get.

The first point is extremely important because petty spending is the sort of thing you do without realizing it; that's why microtransactions/DLC make so much money in video games and on the Internet in general. It's far, far easier to not notice that you've spend a hundred bucks when you spend it in 5-dollar chunks over the course of a month. You need to plan beforehand how much you'll allow yourself to use, how much to safe, and so forth, or else it'll all go missing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2011, 06:22:30 pm »

Buy an instrument. For 250 you can get a decent Guitar or Bass from a small name maker that plays as well as as something twice it's price from a bigger company.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 06:37:43 pm »

And with an instrument, he could beg on the streets until he raised the quantity anew! It's a win-win idea!
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2011, 06:56:26 pm »

unless he is not musical ... then its a lose-lose situation

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011, 06:58:16 pm »

i am not musical. anyway i don't even really need a car, i prefer public transport and walking.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2011, 07:35:40 pm »

unless he is not musical ... then its a lose-lose situation
Nope. If he is not musical he can charge money for NOT playing.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 07:38:42 pm »

Split it into 25,000 pennies and make a cool coin building or sculpture thing.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2011, 07:42:14 pm »

Pay off debt.  Then if you don't know what to do, just save it, rather than convince yourself you need to buy something.

You'll never regret having a large cushion of funds in case of emergency.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2011, 07:49:44 pm »

Yeah, didn't a kid from this very forum get kicked out of home recently? Imagine that happened to you. Save it.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2011, 09:03:18 pm »

Your car!
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8