Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyway to stop automatic suspending? (mod, dfhack, raw files, whatever?)  (Read 5209 times)

Philotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

most people would still call the actual execution of it "work." [...]

True.

also, setting multiple custom stockpiles :).

I can see where you would get that. I used to play Perfect World with my roommate, but just as a medium for interaction with him.

Yea, mmo can be fun if you play them with friends. (almost any game is)

Well, and FPS, but mostly because I'm lazy.

I guess that rivers are way worse in terms of fps, at least as long as you don't decide to flood the caverns :P.

Having just one level of aquifer is great, you can easily and quickly get through with a cave in and have an unlimited source of clean water, you can even use it as a unlimited drainage, and i'm sure that it drains less fps then a river, and it's rare that it occupies an important layer.

And in every map i generated so far nearly all interesting places, beside mountains, had at least one level of aquifer.

If you're just going for some way to get a shaft sunk through the aquifer without a lot of hassle, why not take the aquifer out (raw modding) and put it back in after the staircase is built? It would get done a lot quicker than using autounsuspend, because your dwarves wouldn't have to suspend and wait for the plugin in the first place.

Im fine with the autounsuspend script.

Beside that, it would make embarking way easier (no dwarf is occupied by running the pump, no need to build the pump right away ...)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

AFAIK either an aquifer or a river don't actually affect framerates at all (practically speaking), if they're just sitting there, since there's no flow calculations. No water is created in an undisturbed aquifer, it's just a bunch of wet stone, and the water entering the river is just teleported right to the other end and disappears. Ocean/lake waves will affect fps from day 1 even on a relatively good machine, on the other hand. At least that's my experience.

It's when you start using the water in them to craft waterfalls, or have a drain to the caverns running constantly etc. that fps gets affected. Flow matters, not the existence of a water source.

Philotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

and the water entering the river is just teleported right to the other end and

Wouldn't that still drain some fps?

I usually avoid rivers because of that.

This sounds like it will be very cute.

Anyway I'll just leave this here: https://github.com/peterix/dfhack/blob/master/scripts/autounsuspend.rb

Holy mother of god...

Now I can see if my Dwarves can survive all on their own while I sleep!

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

and the water entering the river is just teleported right to the other end and

Wouldn't that still drain some fps?

I usually avoid rivers because of that.

Probably, but reaaaally little compared to actual flow calculations.
Pages: 1 [2]