Custom Graphics- Phoebus
- 44 (26.8%)
Custom Graphics- Mayday
- 24 (14.6%)
Custom Graphics- Other(post)
- 9 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 164

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What do you use? Default ASCII or custom graphic sets?  (Read 8071 times)

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What do you use? Default ASCII or custom graphic sets?
« on: March 04, 2011, 08:13:23 pm »

What do YOU use?

The default ASCII? I use it!

A custom graphic set? Phoebus, mayday, Ironhand or other?

Which you think is better? ASCII, Phoebus, Mayday, Ironhand, or other?

Why do you use it?

Let's discuss about it!

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you use? Default ASCII or custom graphic sets?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 08:19:01 pm »

Real men use ASCII. But being a woman, I use Pheobus' tileset.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 08:21:33 pm »

Personally, when I started playing I would love to use a tileset. But tilesets seems to make my FPS mad, so I can't play quite right. I played for months with ASCII, so now I quite like it more than tilesets. I like DF as it is.

JupiterEyes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 08:30:16 pm »

I've always used ASCII. Something about tilesets ruin the mood and atmosphere of the game for me.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 08:31:22 pm »

I'll play whatever. I seem to change it every couple of weeks or so, depending how long it takes me to get bored.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

ThatOneSock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 08:34:01 pm »

I'm using ironhand at the moment but i been really contemplating going to ASCII it has this draw to it....

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 08:36:00 pm »

I've always used ASCII. Something about tilesets ruin the mood and atmosphere of the game for me.
Same here. I don't feel like playing DF when using a tileset.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 08:49:15 pm »

ASCII FOREVER

But I do use a 960 x 300 tileset on a 960 x 600 window.  I like my squares to be square, or at least close.  :)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 08:54:07 pm »

I use a slightly modified version of Dorten's tileset because I like the look of the diagonal walls. No creature graphics at all.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 08:54:36 pm »

For Nethack my answer would have been ASCII, but for DF... well, previously it was Sphr's Set, now it is Phoebus. Anyway, can we truly call it ASCII if the base font is a colourized bitmap (Okokok, thats just meddling with semantics)? I just love the extra in visual information that can be gained by having more then the default 256 tiles available.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 09:04:01 pm »

For Nethack my answer would have been ASCII, but for DF... well, previously it was Sphr's Set, now it is Phoebus. Anyway, can we truly call it ASCII if the base font is a colourized bitmap (Okokok, thats just meddling with semantics)? I just love the extra in visual information that can be gained by having more then the default 256 tiles available.
Is Nethack a game? :P I don't know whats it.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 09:07:13 pm »

Sir, you honestly don't know NETHACK?!

Sir, play it. NOW. It's probably the most well known Roguelike around.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 09:16:52 pm »

I will give it a try. What's it? RPG?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 09:20:12 pm »

I will give it a try. What's it? RPG?
No, it's a Roguelike.

du3lingdragon

• Bay Watcher
  • only robots will eat your babies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 09:26:40 pm »

I really think that the Phoebus tileset helped me learn the game; i would have left if it was ASCII. I may switch soon, thinking im a high and might pro now
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5