Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Cult of the Aquifer  (Read 4304 times)

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cult of the Aquifer
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 02:01:40 pm »

So then ten minutes would be approzimately .14666 years; or around 2 months then. I think  that even in this case of the early sieges in that of the defence mod that this could work out. Thank you.

This also seems like a good way of rescuing the oddles of iron in the aquifier I have on the map. By the end of it the map might look like a large quarry.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 02:08:37 pm »

That's also not counting any pauses and assumes 100 FPS.  If FPS was lower, and the game paused to assign designations and construction, then it may be closer to one season.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 03:17:13 pm »

Prior to .19 I could get through a single layer aquifer easily using the cave-in method. Now I have no idea how many layers an aquifer is so any sort of planning is out the window. Currently I'm relying on the multi-biome method. Basically you embark on an area that has one biome with an aquifer and one without, giving you the best of both worlds.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 03:27:56 pm »

How many seasons is 30 minutes a start of the game FPS levels?

I forgot to check honestly, wasn't really paying attention, but it was well before my first caravan (my first migrant wave showed up a short time after I got through).  I play at 60FPS and paused a number of times for various things (not only to designate but also to change up dwarves to get others things going.

Also keep in mind that I had one pick and no trained miners (something I would not repeat) and I'm new at double piercing, so it can only get faster.

-MB

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2011, 03:22:33 am »

I posted a long time ago a guide on how to dig though aquifer (including multiple z-levels ones). If you do a search for "Tanelorn guide" in the Gameplay forum, it will come up.

And you'll have guessed it: I love aquifers. It is rare for me to embark on a map that doesn't have one.
I presume this is the thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11584.msg109712#msg109712

Interesting.  I've used a similar method, but used a 4x4 shaft with a 2x2 staircase in the middle and pumps on the edges pumping water to/from the corners.  I breached 6 layers of stone aquifer like this.  Soil aquifers are a bite more of a challenge since you can't smooth the walls, but it's do-able and helped by the fact that they don't leak diagonally.

Anyways, I am perfectly fine with aquifers, and think that most people who complain about them are wusses.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2011, 07:43:31 am »

I almost lost a fort to one (and DID lose my pick) and then another flooded my dining hall and kept flooding the bedrooms and the hall because my engraver was too dumb to engrave from inside the room. THEN I couldn't use the aquifer to flood the caverns!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

eepkeep

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Yawner
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2011, 01:45:53 pm »

Well, I just made a breakthrough in the dwarven water reactor model. I can't find any mention of this method, even though it's a pretty obvious one. Aquifers act similar to rivers in their water producing and draining, right? Apparently a water wheel built over a channeled aquifer will produce perpetual motion without the need for a pump. It's worked for me and it has potential applications, the most obvious one being that the pump method for aquifer breaching will be made much easier.
Eepkeep cancels Build signature: Needs creativity

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 01:56:40 pm »

I like aquifers.... A little bit. They slow me down, but once they are dealed with they help me when I wanna make sewers.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2011, 02:08:51 pm »

Well, I just made a breakthrough in the dwarven water reactor model. I can't find any mention of this method, even though it's a pretty obvious one. Aquifers act similar to rivers in their water producing and draining, right? Apparently a water wheel built over a channeled aquifer will produce perpetual motion without the need for a pump. It's worked for me and it has potential applications, the most obvious one being that the pump method for aquifer breaching will be made much easier.
From the wiki entry on waterwheels:
(* Exceptions are aquifers, which can sometimes have naturally occurring flow. This is sometimes a good thing, because then a wheel simply works by itself - or a bad thing, if, for example, you want the wheel to not provide any power while you build a pump adjacent to it. It's not clear what causes an aquifer to have flow and then keep it - it's difficult to replicate reliably, and can be lost with additional channeling, so designs will have to be adapted if such are found.)
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

eepkeep

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Yawner
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011, 02:15:20 pm »

From the wiki entry on waterwheels:
(* Exceptions are aquifers, which can sometimes have naturally occurring flow. This is sometimes a good thing, because then a wheel simply works by itself - or a bad thing, if, for example, you want the wheel to not provide any power while you build a pump adjacent to it. It's not clear what causes an aquifer to have flow and then keep it - it's difficult to replicate reliably, and can be lost with additional channeling, so designs will have to be adapted if such are found.)

Oh, seems I missed that bit... And here I was getting excited about nothing. :/
Eepkeep cancels Build signature: Needs creativity

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2011, 02:16:40 pm »

request:

think ill add the cult of the aquifyer to the Grimoire of Armok in the book of Id, you guys alright with that?

just, browsing and it makes good material thinking about it.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 03:49:01 pm »

" And Lo. In the days of yor, before time Began there were Demons. then Armok sealed them in their world with layers of rock. But lo, the Demons in their Hatred attacked the rock, melting it. Now Armok was disturbed for his Children could not survive on molten rock. Turning to his most trusted Advisor the Great Toad He asked of him what to do. and so spake The Great Toad, "Oh Mighty One! Perhaps Ice drawn from the cold vast eternity can cool this Molten fire." And Armok agreed, seeing merit in the plan. And Lo, the Mighty one Reached out, and took up one mighty Chunk of Deep Ice, and with a mighty Heave smote the burning rock with it. With a great crack of thunder, the Ice smashed into the world and it's Cold was so great, the Molten rock began to Cool. Many times Armok was Forced to Do this, and Time Passed. The world grew colder, slowly the great Molten Sea diminshed, and at last Dissapered underneath the surface of the world. But Armok, In his Great Wisdom, Knew the Demons would never stop attacking, and so with a final effort, placed Two shattered Ice Crystals on the poles of his world. But Armok was Tired and some of the Shattered Ice, was flung upon the world with his last Heave, it Melted, and it soon pooled in the damp murk under the stone, a great amount We know as the Aquifer."

the great Cultist Anu Goblin-Drowner
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2011, 04:07:14 am »

thanks man :)

-i personaly love 1 layer aquifyers, not masterd how to get through them but the infinate water makes flooding traps and general water works easy as-
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2011, 08:18:05 pm »

Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!
Pages: 1 2 [3]