Custom Graphics- Phoebus
- 44 (26.8%)
Custom Graphics- Mayday
- 24 (14.6%)
Custom Graphics- Other(post)
- 9 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 164

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What do you use? Default ASCII or custom graphic sets?  (Read 8094 times)

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you use? Default ASCII or custom graphic sets?
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2011, 02:49:41 am »

Real men use ASCII. But being a woman, I use Pheobus' tileset.

Females? Internet? No, can't be.

Anyway, I am using ASCII right now, but that's because Phoebus wasn't out like 1 hour after release. I'm probably going to continue to use ASCII too.

I prefer Phoebus when I use graphics though.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Niseg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2011, 02:50:44 am »

I use Phoebus . When I first saw the game trying to play it I said to myself "I'm not going to learn a new rogue like game with a million key binding and totally different symbols". I've been playing roguelike games for years - started with rogue my favorites are Omega and Adom (my wife likes Mag aka mike's adventure game). I left the game and didn't come back to it till I came back to minecraft.

When playing Minecraft I thought to myself " this game is too open non need to eat, death has little consequence " but I didn't move to DF yet I went to play a shareware called URW , played a little , said to myself "I know how to play this game",  came back to minecraft and then said... "too open ,low complexity" and tried  DF. Since then I play DF 99.9% of the time.
 b
The graphic set is easy to work with I may move to ascii due to my interest in dfterm (managed to set it up) though i got a custom font for it ;). .
Projects:Path finding simulator(thread) -A*,weighted A*(traffic zones), user set waypoints (path caching), automatic waypoint room navigation,no-cache room navigation.

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2011, 08:01:22 am »

I tried a tileset. Could not get use'd to it. So I stick with default ASCII
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2011, 08:12:35 am »

I cant deal with the tile sets. They are a  soft disgrace.  I am a dwarf of ASCII. It is the only way.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2011, 08:19:22 am »

I use a square tileset that looks as similar to Curses as possible. Because I like to think I'm staring at The Matrix without a decoder.
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

ThePup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2011, 08:52:06 am »

Have looked at all the graphical tilesets, none really grabbed me - they all looked too blotchy and messy compared to the ASCII.  I don't use the default ASCII though, I use markvii, which is square and a nice clean look to it.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2011, 08:56:15 am »

I use a square ASCII... can't recall which one.

One thing that always strikes me odd with the square versions, though, is they insist on using even dimensions; this means you can't have thin vertical or horizontal lines halfway through the tile or sharp peaks because there is no "center" pixel.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2011, 08:58:16 am »

Phoebus... , cant stand the ascii
Desu

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2011, 09:40:19 am »

Matrix tileset or square ASCII.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2011, 11:14:36 am »

I use Phoebus, Ironhand and normal. I would use Mayday too if genesis supported it.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2011, 11:49:49 am »

For Nethack my answer would have been ASCII, but for DF... well, previously it was Sphr's Set, now it is Phoebus. Anyway, can we truly call it ASCII if the base font is a colourized bitmap (Okokok, thats just meddling with semantics)? I just love the extra in visual information that can be gained by having more then the default 256 tiles available.
Is Nethack a game? :P I don't know whats it.

Sir, you honestly don't know NETHACK?!

Sir, play it. NOW. It's probably the most well known Roguelike around.

I will give it a try. What's it? RPG?
No, it's a Roguelike.

Good game, really.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2011, 01:21:41 pm »

I use Deon's Genesis version with Ironhand. Back in 40d I used Hermano's tileset.

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2011, 02:11:42 pm »

Currently using Bisasam 20x20 tile set mostly because I like that it turns the military dwarfs into helmets. Example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

ra2phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2011, 02:40:37 pm »

I used to use Mayday, but now I use Phoebus because I'm colorblind and the mineral/gem icons make the game much easier for me (even if I still can't distinguish sphalerite from tetrahedrite without inspecting it, at least I can tell it's a metal).  I grew up on stuff like Unlimited Adventures, Avernum, some other 16-bit tile RPGs I can't remember, so I'm used to that more than the Roguelike ascii display.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2011, 02:54:59 pm »

I use a square ascii tileset that looks like the default font. Right now I'm using the DB_curses_12x12.png tileset. I use the Terminus ascii tileset on my netbook for visibility. Really, I just want a square ascii tileset. I don't know why the default one is rectangular.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5