Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making a Costume  (Read 1539 times)

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making a Costume
« on: March 12, 2011, 03:44:44 am »

Hello.

I would like to make a costume for myself (and maybe a few friends) based around these guys.

We're doing it for next Halloween, so we have some time, and I have access to a gratuitous amount of construction materials.

How would I go about making or buying any of this?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Making a Costume
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 03:57:39 am »

Well depending on your location you could probably get most of the stuff like helmets, coats and masks and then modifiy them to look the right way.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 04:11:27 am »

Define gratuitous.

I'm gonna say first step get a well fitting trench coat and boots, and that will cut a little less then half your work out, never try to make that kind of stuff yourself it takes lots more time and skill to do alone from now till next halloween.

The other half will be the rifle for sure, I have no advice, I do clothes not guns.

The rest will be the gas-mask and backpack and gloves, because they dont make them like that, go to an army surplus store and see if you can buy anything else that you would otherwise have to make, helmet, grenade, shovel, ect.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 04:14:12 am »

I have metal, wood, some plastics, PVC, cement, paint out the ass, and any kind of device you can imagine to work with those materials.
There is an Army Surplus store nearby, but I doubt that they'll have the German WWI style helmet and mask. It's still worth a shot, though.
I'll see if I can go tomorrow, and I'll update what I have then.
Thank you.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 05:33:46 am »

Do you want just like those costumes or do you want something a little more unique. Because unless your local counsel deals with it's landfill properly, and I know mine doesn't, the local tip can still be a source of fun goods.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 02:49:09 pm »

My gas mask came today. I'm sad that I have to cut my hair to get it to look good on me. It's awesome, though. I feel like the whole world is dieing, and I'm the only one who's safe when I wear it.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 02:51:11 pm »

Lets see a picture.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 02:53:47 pm »

Yergh.  I'd be careful about some of the insignia on that thing.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 04:04:48 pm »

My gas mask came today. I'm sad that I have to cut my hair to get it to look good on me. It's awesome, though. I feel like the whole world is dieing, and I'm the only one who's safe when I wear it.

Whatever you paid for it, I'll bet it was too much.  Some Army Surplus stores are just sporting-goods stores with more camo, but one I've gone too (regularly) actually has tons of Vietnam-era surplus stuff.  Including gas-masks, with thick blank eye-lenses and long flexible snouts.

Now you just have to figure out how to make convincing helmets, that aren't just plain old American pot-helmets.  The insignias you could probably buy; I know Games Workshop sells backpacks and belt-buckles and stuff.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 05:02:39 pm »

One thing to notice is that those helmets don't have to be made from metal. They're going to be covered in cloth anyway, so you may just as well make them out of papier-mâché

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 05:29:55 pm »

I know Games Workshop sells backpacks and belt-buckles and stuff.

Speaking of over paying.....:P

Sadly there is no other legal outlet for that stuff. I've heard of GWS coming down on people for simple doing die-casts of insignias and giving them away for free.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 05:53:33 pm »

I paid $15 for the mask.
I actually use it because food smells bad.
And I was thinking of making the insignias out of paper mache, buying a german helmet, and adding some cardboard strips to it or something.
And great coats cost way too much.