Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building a fake computer.  (Read 1457 times)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Building a fake computer.
« on: March 16, 2011, 02:41:24 am »

So, my friend Jonah and I have concocted a devious plan with which to screw with the former's brother.
Anyway, I can pull off the modeling part but have no idea how to paint the fucker and make it feel real.
Main issue being the shiny plastic texture.
What kind of paint should I use and where would I get them?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Building a fake computer.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 02:43:15 am »

Now this could just be killing the creative part of it, or it may be saving you some effort.

Why not just use a case without anything inside?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 02:50:16 am »

It's a laptop.
Specifically a model of mine.
I need to replicate the design.
A complex forgery for which I have the skills but not the knowledge.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 03:13:13 am »

Ah, well in that case, I would spray paint it, then glaze it for that shiny texture. There is a product you can just spry on to glaze, takes about half an hour to dry, toxic while wet, but I can't remember the name of it.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 07:17:32 pm »

Ah, well in that case, I would spray paint it, then glaze it for that shiny texture. There is a product you can just spry on to glaze, takes about half an hour to dry, toxic while wet, but I can't remember the name of it.

any lacquer would do (is that how it's spelled?). You can get these at basically anyplace you can get paint (supermarkets even work). Alternatively, you could buy a spray-on wax to cover a layer of standard paint, which should also give a nice plastic shine. For my Rubik's cubes I use a silicone spray from the auto-supply store (I use AutoZone). If you use this though beware that it's... slippery. This one also has a noticeable smell, so be sure to let it air out for a few days before you present it.

the harder part I think will be getting the texture. Most computers that I've seen aren't that shiny. My keyboard is lightly textured, and I think that has something to do with the plastic they use. I haven't the slightest clue on how to replicate that since it's not a surface applied on top.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...