- 3 (27.3%)
No
- 4 (36.4%)
Maybe
- 4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: March 12, 2011, 04:04:48 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 7DRL Contest 2011  (Read 8160 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: 7DRL Contest 2011 has started!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 01:03:08 am »

Spelling errors where? I see 2 in the intro screen. Comrades and Forgotten was misspelled but I have corrected them now and I can find no other spelling errors so if you see any more please tell me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also there are apparently 80 entrants this 7DRL that have officially registered their intent to compete.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 02:27:30 am »

Program something in seven days? Good god I do not envy you, it takes me twice as long to plan out what I want to do before I even put in my first set of braces! I look forward to seeing what comes from this though! I have been thinking about making a game, and roguelikes are always fun.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 05:05:33 am »

It's good finger practice, and you can concentrate on learning something like a new language, or a specific subset of (game)programming. I'm doing UI. Lots of UI.
Has anyone ever played the game "The Experiment"? Something like that.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 10:43:59 am »

Spelling errors where? I see 2 in the intro screen. Comrades and Forgotten was misspelled but I have corrected them now and I can find no other spelling errors so if you see any more please tell me.

Also there are apparently 80 entrants this 7DRL that have officially registered their intent to compete.

I marked the other two that bugged me in bold. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 12:01:59 pm »

Thank you, just corrected them as well.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 12:15:34 pm »

Posting to watch progress. I'm way too caught up in other code to participate, and anyway, the thought of trying to finish anything in such a short period makes me shudder (I'm way too much of a perfectionist). These contests are always really interesting, though. Good luck to anybody trying their hand!

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 11:54:54 pm »

Day 4
   I have been stalled somewhat by tracking down a bug in my field of view code. I learned up on it and based mine off of the improved version that uses the improved variant described on Roguebasin. There was even a C# implementation that I was able to look at. In either Octant 6 or 7, maybe both there is an error that I can not explain. Here is the code I used:
Spoiler: Picture of Error (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 11:56:55 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 02:29:29 pm »

I found the error. In the octant 7 when it made a new slope if the current tile was Seethrough and the y+1 was not it got the Get_SlopeInv and it should have been get the -Get_SlopeInv. One single '-' completely removed a full octant of my FOV but now it is fixed!

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 01:26:33 am »

Day 5
   Today was collage so once again not much done. I did not finish the simple ai I was working on...   Well I have not finished debugging it. My creatures cheat a little in that they simply check a line between the player and them out to their sight range to see if anything is blocking its view or the player is out of range. So while it technically knows where you are at all times it only sees you when it should, or rather that is how it should work and right now it does not even see you all the time though that may be a problem with some other part of my code.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 12:43:34 am »

Day 6
   Today I was once again stalled at the AI. I could not manage the code I started yesterday so I tried to mock up a simple come at me AI but did not manage even that. Tomorrow I will learn some more and in the least put out my thing as is at the end of the day. I think I accidentally put the hardest part off till last and am regretting it.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 03:32:10 am »

I think I accidentally put the hardest part off till last and am regretting it.

I started with it and am regretting it even more, since I now have nothing to show for. Didn't even do anything yesterday, so I'm gonna semi-cheat and don't count that.

OTH, I did read up on Boost, and am sure I'll use it in any future project I have.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 03:37:47 am »

My biggest problem is the way some of the things
don't match with other things. Also because of how
the classes are set up my AI can not directly access
the map data which makes everything harder. If I
had done it sooner then this would not have been
a problem. Really I am suffering from not planning
it all out enough.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 03:45:59 am »

I used to have that problem, now I just make static pointers everywhere pointing to my "main loop" class (Engine), from where you can access every other object. I don't know if it's good form, but I'm always sure I will never have more than one Engine instance, and that it will be the last thing to be deleted.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 04:15:05 am »

I think that there is a way to actually fix this problem
but I have not actually learned it yet. The big problem
is that the map does not contain tile info. The map contains
a few thing like height and width and an array of class tile.
I had a reason for this at one point but now its more of
a its to entwined with my code to take out kind of thing.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: 7DRL Contest 2011
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 06:00:46 pm »

Day 7
I have run out of time to code because of real life matters so nothing else to do but post what I got and plan for next time.  Here is what I have. I feel disappointed that I was not able to finish but am happy that I was able to get so far.
Pages: 1 [2] 3