Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What are the main triggers or stops for invasions?  (Read 1481 times)

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What are the main triggers or stops for invasions?
« on: March 05, 2011, 04:33:12 pm »

I've been playing DF for quite a while, but for several games now I have been completely unable to lure invasions to my fortress.

What are the minimum pop/wealth levels at which goblin ambushes and invasions occur, and is there any information I can review that would indicate if they are too distant or extinct and will never come?

I like combat heavy games, but it's frustrating to play for 10+ hours only to slowly realize that you'll never be attacked, even though you've embarked in what appeared to be highly hostile areas. :P

Playing in .19 at the moment, so for all I know every goblin on the planet starved to death a century ago.

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are the main triggers or stops for invasions?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 04:51:41 pm »

100 pop for all triggers. When embarking, hit tab until you see civilizations. Make sure it has goblins and that they are hostile.

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 06:42:02 pm »

100 pop for all triggers. When embarking, hit tab until you see civilizations. Make sure it has goblins and that they are hostile.

I don't think that's right...

Sieges generally occur regarding wealth, and I think it's also related to an 80 population

Ambushes I'm not sure on, but I've had them with as low as 25 dwarves (Was churning out a fair bit of wealth)

Thieves/Snatchers happen once there's children or one lone item of decent value around. I get these with the initial 7

Big beasties won't come via the surface until you hit 80 population
They come by caverns anytime after they've been breached

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 08:04:49 pm »

I think what you mean is that the goblin civilization might very well be at Peace, but that doesn't mean they won't siege anyway. There's a red line that can appear next to a civilization that appears to mean that they really don't like you, in spite of any peace treaty.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 08:07:18 pm »

I've got a theory that there are three triggers -- population, created wealth, and exported wealth -- and that you have to hit at least two of them for the sieges to start.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 10:53:28 pm »

From the "EVIL" entry in entity_default:

[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:2]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:2]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:2]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE:0]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE_SIEGE:0]

The first 3 are ambush triggers; 20 pop, 10000 created wealth, 100 000 exported wealth.  The last 3 are siege triggers.  I believe the pop trigger is 80+, production and trade will not trigger sieges.  Changing any trigger to "1" should have them start ambushing or siegeing immediately.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 07:00:19 am »

The first 3 are ambush triggers; 20 pop, 10000 created wealth, 100 000 exported wealth.

That looks wrong... 10 000 created, and 100 000 exported? I somehow believe it should be the other way around, in which case they're the same requirements for getting a baron.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 08:52:39 pm »

That can't be right. I get ambushes far earlier than barony.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 09:14:46 pm »

That can't be right. I get ambushes far earlier than barony.

Triggers are either/or. If you fulfill any one of them, a siege can happen. However, I think population is the bare minimum trigger.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 01:14:58 pm »

I haven't been hit with sieges yet either, but I'm took special care to embark directly beside some gobbos this time around. I'm hoping this will help to bring additional trouble from them, and I also genned worlds until I got a "War" message with gobbos from the start instead of the dotted line for hostility. This is supposed to bring them on more quickly as well.