Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Modding Tag Ideas!  (Read 5056 times)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Re: New Modding Tag Ideas!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 07:22:50 pm »

A tag that lets workshops use the power generated by windmills and waterwheels.....
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 08:33:44 pm »

I definitely support these ideas.  They would really allow a lot of new things for mods. 
G-Flex, don't worry too much about these necessarily being realistic.  For the idea of a [STICKCHANCE] tag for instance, why should I have to simulate the entire shape and material of a weapon just to make it not stick?  If I made a laser weapon for instance, I wouldn't want do have to make it a giant wet noodle just so it wouldn't stick in the enemy.  Remember that most of these ideas are for mods, which may not care about realism, and some of these tags would be useful for enhancing modding.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 12:28:21 am »

G-Flex, don't worry too much about these necessarily being realistic.  For the idea of a [STICKCHANCE] tag for instance, why should I have to simulate the entire shape and material of a weapon just to make it not stick?

Of course that would be silly, but if aspects of shape need to be simulated for other reasons anyway, it would make sense. I have no idea how advanced that would feasibly get, though.

If I made a laser weapon for instance, I wouldn't want do have to make it a giant wet noodle just so it wouldn't stick in the enemy.  Remember that most of these ideas are for mods, which may not care about realism, and some of these tags would be useful for enhancing modding.

If you want something like a laser sword, the best bet would be to simulate what the blade is actually made out of: A material that is, for lack of a better choice, gaseous, and of a given shape, and extremely hot, sort of like how fire men act now. Right now the game doesn't really simulate things like that very well, but obviously that can change.

The issue isn't about "realism", it's about being able to adequately simulate whatever needs simulation, and that can account for some very unrealistic things.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 04:57:23 pm »

From what I've heard, the next release will both add transformations and ingested syndromes, which could be combined to create all sorts of useful potions.  For example, turning into a weaker creature that can fly to escape, turning into a more powerful combat form, exploiting the transformation mechanics to make a healing potion, ect.  But if we want NPCs to ever be able to use this stuff, we need to be able to use raw tags to say what an item is used for.  Some thing like [ESCAPE_POTION] or [COMBAT_POTION] maybe followed by some arbitrary number indicating how useful the item is.  Obviously the system would have to be more complicated to specify how to use the item and to which creatures the item would be useful.  The point is, we need some sort of system, because no way the AI could figure out on its own how to use some of the crazy things modders think up.

Also, about specifying the shapes of weapons, that seems like a needlessly impractical way to do it.  For one, everything in DF is a weapon, so you'd have to go and specify the exact shape of every item in DF in great detail, including tools, furniture, rocks, logs, severed body parts, and plenty of other things.  For two, such a system would be very cruel to anyone making a total conversion, since they'd be adding a lot of new weapons and have to specify of the shape of each of them, which would be much more work than the current system.  Finally, the weapons modders are adding might not necessarily make any physical or logical sense, and a weapon shape system would greatly increase the amount of experimenting and general messing around that would be required to achieve the desired result.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 11:19:23 pm »

I wanna go on record as saying that I'm always in favor of expanded modding options.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Jimbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 12:30:40 am »

[BUILDING_DESTROYER_3] or [LEVIATHAN] tags that allow certain creatures to be able to destroy b+c constructions but implemented in such a way that they won't methodically deconstruct a 200+ block outside wall but rather will destroy anything in the way of its path-finding to prey i.e. dwarfs would be great!

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 10:46:13 pm »

Simple ones:
[DIGGER:*weapon*:*rarity*]
[WEAPON:*weapon*:*rarity*]

As in the clothing/armor tags.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 11:03:09 pm »

Simple ones:
[DIGGER:*weapon*:*rarity*]
[WEAPON:*weapon*:*rarity*]

As in the clothing/armor tags.

That is a very good idea!
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Risto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 12:28:33 pm »

I would like few new token positions:

[ELECTED_BY:POSITION:SITE/LAND:<landholder level>/ALL] - Only holders of a specified position elect a dwarf for this. Can be multiple. SITE - vote only holders of positions in site, or the residents of the capital, if the position of civilization. LAND - vote the inhabitants of the land title of the specified level to which the site belongs. ALL - vote all holders of positions in the country. Values default: ALL - if elected or electing the position of the level of civilization, otherwise SITE.

[ALLOWED_POSITION:POSITION:SITE/LAND:<landholder level>/ALL]
[REJECTED_POSITION:POSITION:SITE/LAND:<landholder level>/ALL]
Only holders of some posts may or may not be elected/appointed to. The behavior of the third and fourth arguments are similar to those described for ELECTED_BY. Can be multiple. If you specify only REJECTED_POSITION - to take up the post can anyone who is not prohibited if both token - only those who are allowed and not prohibited. If there are no suitable candidates, the requirements for the creation position considered as not implemented.

[QUORUM:<candidates>:<voters>] - number of voting and candidates for election to the position. If at the time of the vote limit not met, then the requirements for the creation of a post considered as not implemented.

[DECIDING_BY:POSITION:DIVIDED/APPOINTED/ALL] - If the third parameter is set as DIVIDED, the holder of the specified position has the right to deciding vote in the election for this position. If the value is APPOINTED the holder of a specified position may appoint one of the candidates if voting did not take place due to non-compliance with the QUORUM token. ALL = DIVIDED+APPOINTED. Default: ALL.

[TERM_OF:<months>] - How long are the powers of the holder of the position. If specified, until the expiration of the term dwarf can be deprived of office only by dying, being accused of a serious crime or leaving this place/civilization. Upon expiration of the term of the dwarf leaves the position (for elected and inherited positions), or may be dismissed (for assign). Well, if it will work in fortress mode, it would have removed the bug with the ability to manually change the mayor, for example.

[TEMPLE:SPHERE/ALL] - position refers to a religious cult. Every cult of civilization, or of site (when using the token SITE) related to the mentioned sphere has its own number of positions for this post. Only the cult members can hold positions or to vote on it. If the position is assigned to another position with the token to TEMPLE, the appointment should be strictly within the cult. ALL - no restrictions on the spheres, default value. When multiple use in various spheres will create a position for all cults, with at least one of these spheres. Only cults having a temple of his deity in the site can create positions with tokens TEMPLE  and SITE.

[SKILL:<skill token>] - the value of the specified skill affects the chance of election/appointment along with the social skill. Can be multiple.

[ALLOWED_SKILL:<skill token>:<1..20>:AND/OR] - Can be multiple. The position can take only the applicant have specified minimum values of skills, this should be performed on all tokens with a value of "and" and at least one (if any) with a value of OR. OR - the default value.

[SPOUSE_POSITION:POSITION] - position automatically gets to spouse of the holder of the specified position. To obtain this position by other means is impossible, the maximum number of positions is ignored.

[ALLOWED_MARRIED] - only characters who are married can take this position. Will be especially useful for owners of inherited titles.

[REQUIRES_TEMPLE][REQUIRES_TAVERN][REQUIRES_LINRARY][REQUIRES_HOSPITAL] - to create positions in place should be the appropriate structure.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:54:36 pm by Risto »

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 07:31:42 am »

I'd like to see some sort of tag or something that'd allow for a race of something to become a servant-race of the race you're currently playing.

I guess a simple tag would be too hard to make. As it'd be nice to determine what sort of labors a servant race would be able to do, as well as parameters to make them unable to become nobles/earn positions etc within your fortress. Would be cool as fudge tho!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 05:40:44 am »

[MIMIC_ITEM:item token:material token:situation]
[MIMIC_CREATURE:creature:caste:situation]
[MIMIC_CORPSE:creature:caste:situation]

These would add an ability that would allow the creature to mimic an object, which would affect how other creatures reacted to it and also trick the examination cursor.

While this could potentially be used for a few existing creatures - an iron man could pose as an iron statue of a human, for instance - it would be especially fun for generated creatures.  You'd never know what innocuous items could turn out to be monsters when starting a new world.

It would also allow wandering night creatures to imitate their prey species, a common trait of supernatural spooks in myth.  When the alias system is in it could allow a creature to convincingly disguise itself as another species.

This could also be done with voluntary transformations; the difference is that with transformations the disguise is flawless and also affects abilities, while for mimicry someone with good observer skill could see through the disguise.
Pages: 1 [2]