Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Modding Tag Ideas!  (Read 5073 times)

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
New Modding Tag Ideas!
« on: March 05, 2011, 06:28:45 pm »

Over the modding months I have accumulated a few tags which I feel should be implemented into the game. Upon my pondering of the subject, I have concluded that other modders might have more tags to add. So why not attempt to bring them to light? Below are several tags that I think should be added to the game. Feel free to add your own or comment/debate/ninja on existing ones.

Weapons and Armor

(weapon attack)[GORE]
This tag was back in 40d. Whips did 'gore damage' causing bleeding and pain. Certainly other weapons could have this effect.

(weapon attack)[NO_TWIST]
This prevents the embedded weapon from being twisted when embedded inside the enemy. Whips for example could use this.

(weapon attack)[GORE_ON_PULL]
If you've ever seen a medival arrow head you will notice it is 'V' shaped. This is because when it gets stuck in you, and you have to pull it out. The head will cause huge damage and pain. Problem is, in adventurer mode, even children with an arrow through the right lung pull it out and drop it like it was a toothpick. This tag prevents creatures from pulling out the weapon without intense pain and bleeding. [NOPAIN] creatures will still pull it out without the pain effect. It could also be used on spears which also have a 'V' head.

[FIRE_RATE:x]
Used on ranged weapons. x is the rate of fire. This isn't to make a machine gun crossbow, but rather to make ranged weapons more realistic, the crossbow was always more powerful. But Bows were never obsolete because they could be reloaded faster.

[EXOTIC_SHIELD:bodypart]
Fits on ITEMS:SHIELD This shield will attach to the listed bodypart rather then an open hand.This will mean we can have bracers that can fit on your lower arm. It would be possible to have both of your lower arms holding bracers and they would essentially function like shields. In theory they could be anything, [EXOTIC_SHIELD:BRAIN] [EXOTIC_SHIELD:FINGER] would be within the ability of modders.

[RANGED:skill:ammo:INFINITE]
Ranged ammo currently has [RANGED:skill:ammo] tags that link the weapon to a certain type of ammo like bolts. But if you wanted to make a sling that could use pebbles off the ground as ammuntion, it wouldn't be possible without first grinding down a boulder or forging metal ones. So the INFINITE tag will make the object never run out of ammo.

Entity

[PACK:creature]
[PULL:creature]
[MOUNT:creature]
[PET:creature]
If these tags are present the entity will use that creature for the task mentioned. Even if they do not have access to it. For example [PACK:EAGLE_GIANT] for flying civilizations so that they don't kill their animals on the way to the depot.

[ENEMY_RACE:x:y:reason]
x = race y = % chance of happening. During world gen the entity will spontaneously declare war on the entity x based on the y percentage.The reason tag is for legends mode. The template will read like this "WAR NAME was waged by GROUP A on the GROUP B. The most significant cause of the conflict was the adversary's [reason]" So once all plugged in it would read "The most significant cause of conflict was the adversary's genetic inferiority" or "adversary's rudeness/wealth/lack of ale/being elves" any number of things really. This will make natural enemies without doing things like adding the [BABYSNATCHER] tag or removing the [CAN_SPEAK] tag.

Creatures

[PREDATER:x]
A creature will x% of the time actively hunt and dwarves. Things like giant lions could have 10% or so, GCS could have near 75%

* Solved by adding the PRONE_TO_RAGE tag.

Misc

[DRAGONFIRE:x]
This is so you can rename dragonfire to x. Purely an aesthetic purpose.

* Solved by the new interaction system

[SKILL_LEARN_CAP:x:y]
[ALL_SKILL_LEARN_CAP:y]
This is so we can limit the learning of a certain skill. The upper tag is for a specific skill, the lower tag is for all skills. x will be the selected skill y will be a numeric designation for the skill level.

* Bad idea.

It would be nice if you gave us the ability to control how much ammo the quiver could carry. This way we could create larger quivers that can carry more ammo, or mod the name to be 'clips' for guns.
[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_QUIVER]
[NAME:quiver:quivers]
[ATTACHES_TO:UPPER_BODY] - where it attaches, different then [EXOTIC_SHIELD:x] because this tag does not block attacks.
[AMMO_CARRY:25] - how much ammo can be carried.

Custom Reaction Product

[NO_QUALITY]
Makes the created object have no quality modifiers. Like blocks. This could be useful in tools that have a small chance of being consumed rather then going from *tool* -tool- +tool+

[PRESERVE_QUALITY_REAGENT:x]
Similar as the above, sort of like [PRESERVE_REAGENT] Except this tag takes the quality of reagent x and makes the product the same quality as listed reaction. Mostly because having a masterpiece traction bench made out of a base quality table is ridiculous when all your doing is strapping on a chain.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 12:37:24 pm by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: New Modding Tag Ideas!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 06:54:01 pm »

Over the modding months I have accumulated a few tags which I feel should be implemented into the game. Upon my pondering of the subject, I have concluded that other modders might have more tags to add.

That's what I thought. Maybe this thread will have a better fate.

A creature will x% of the time actively hunt and dwarves. Things like giant lions could have 10% or so, GCS could have near 75%
I feel that that this behavior would better be modeled by hunger, temperament, and tactics.

Edit: I actually had gathered a few more raw suggestions, might as well post them.

Creature tags

[ALWAYS_HISTORICAL]

A caste level tag that makes a member of this caste be always historical. Should only be used for rare castes, obviously.

[CASTE_POP_NUM:x]
Limits the number of members of a specific caste in a population to no more than x. Population in civilized creatures would mean a single civilization, in wild creatures a single group.

[CURIOUSBEAST_KIDNAP:creature/caste/creature class identifiers]

For dragons kidnapping princesses, of course.

[NIGHT_CREATURE_LOST]

A night creature that arises from people lost in certain (evil/sphere-related) regions.

[TRANSFORMS_FROM:ANY_CHILD]
[TRANSFORMS_FROM:ALL]
[TRANSFORMS_FROM:ANY_ADULT]
[TRANSFORMS_FROM:DWARF:ALL]
[TRANSFORMS_FROM:CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]

This tag could control what creatures a lost night creature arises from, and/or additional creatures that a spouse converter could convert (and what other night creatures are to come).

[ARTIFICIAL_HIVEABLE:hive type]

An expansion of the existing tag that determines what kind of artificial hive the vermin can be placed in. This would go with the following tool tag extensions:

[TOOL_USE:HIVE:hive type]
[TOOL_USE:HIVE_ADVANCED:hive type]

An advanced hive would be one that isn't destroyed by harvesting it.

Other assorted tags

[SETTLE_BIOME:biome]

This tag would denote a biome that an entity could settle in, but would not start in (BIOME_SUPPORT does not do this).

[ROTS:time]
An extension of the existing material tag that allows some materials to rot faster or slower than the default.

[HAS_SKILL:skill]
A reaction reagent token where the reagent in question (presumably a tool or weapon, perhaps instruments in the future) has a certain skill associated with it.

Edit edit: Some more threads dealing with raw tags:
Diet types
Random/set pets for cultures/civs
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 07:36:23 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Demonsul

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 08:03:02 pm »

I'm all for more options for modding. This has my support, whatever that is worth.
Absconditus

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 09:37:19 pm »

You mean "predator."  And rather than having it only hunt dwarves, you should be able to list a creature (or class of creatures) that it hunts.  Then you could make animals that hunt each other (e.g. lions eat herbivores), or even say that dragons hunt only sapient creatures.

That would be a lot more useful for adding realism to the game.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 01:33:48 pm »

Agreed with Uristocrat... only the fantasy creatures and the salty crocodiles should consider dwarves to be fair game.

A hunting tactic tags would be good too... to decide if the animal actively chases its prey or hides undetected for a chance to leap out and surprise them.

Michael_Almeida

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:general idiocy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 04:40:35 pm »

I really like these ideas. I had a number of ideas for tags, but most of them had been covered here. I have little to add, and (sadly) most of them pertain to the idea of modding in firearms for other mods (Let's face it, it would really come in handy for a number of mods).

Melee weapons

[ATTACK_RATE:x] - How fast an attack with the weapon is
I'm not 100% sure how speed works, but as far as I know, movement speed is the same as attack speed, and a warhammer is as fast to attack with as a knife. A tag like this would cause a penalty to the one's "turn delay" whenever they use the weapon.  IT 000's [FIRE_RATE:x] could cause a different penalty whenever the weapon is fired, making melee attacks with a crossbow faster or slower than ranged attacks.

Ranged weapons

[MULTISHOT:x] - The number of rounds of ammunition that are fired with each shot.
This could easily be used in vanilla to make a crossbow that fires three or so bolts at once. The number would most likely be a 'maximum' amount of ammunition used, so in theory if one had two bolts with a [MULTISHOT:3] crossbow it would fire the two bolts. Perhaps in adventure mode you could choose how many to use in each shot, though. Loading multiple rounds should affect the firing rate, of course.

[CAPACITY:x] - The number of rounds of ammunition that can be loaded into the weapon.
And I'll immediately admit that this is mostly for the purposes of mods that use firearms, though I think it could still be used in Vanilla DF. Still, this is probably not the best of ideas in any case.

Ammo
[SPREAD:x:y] - How many projectiles are launched when fired and what they are called
Again, mostly for mods involving firearms, specially shotguns. In theory you could make a bundle of arrows that seperates when fired, I guess.

[ALWAYS_BREAKS] - The projectile always breaks when it is fired
Another firearm related tag, this would make sure that bullets cannot be re-used if they get stuck in a target or fall a few z-levels down once they stop flying.
COMPETENT MODDER
ADEQUATE DRAWER
LEGENDARY PROCRASTINATOR
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 05:29:17 pm »

In 40d there was the [STICK_CHANCE:x] token but not in newer versions. It determined the chances of a weapon getting stuck into a victim. I'm not sure how this is determined now but things do get stuck in still. I suggest we have a similar token again for things like many-barbed spears.

If you've ever seen a medival arrow head you will notice it is 'V' shaped. This is because when it gets stuck in you, and you have to pull it out. The head will cause huge damage and pain. Problem is, in adventurer mode, even children with an arrow through the right lung pull it out and drop it like it was a toothpick. This tag prevents creatures from pulling out the weapon without intense pain and bleeding. [NOPAIN] creatures will still pull it out without the pain effect. It could also be used on spears which also have a 'V' head.
Additional numbers would be useful as some things would be far worse than others.

[PACK:creature]
[PULL:creature]
[MOUNT:creature]
[PET:creature]
If these tags are present the entity will use that creature for the task mentioned. Even if they do not have access to it. For example [PACK:EAGLE_GIANT] for flying civilizations so that they don't kill their animals on the way to the depot.
I'd rather have:
[PACK_CLASS:class]
On creatures and entities. It saves on tokens.

Agreed with Uristocrat... only the fantasy creatures and the salty crocodiles should consider dwarves to be fair game.
Add polar bears to your list. I was under the impression that any creature with the predator token would attack anything smaller than it currently. If we are going to go for realism in this then wolves really shouldn't attack so readily.

I think it odd that certain wild but otherwise intelligent creatures currently run around with no clothes or weapons. Two examples I can think of are mountain/dark gnomes and giants. They should be able to craft simple clothes / tools or steal them. Giants should at least carry bones / clubs made from tree branches and wear clothes made from their prey. I suggested this before and gave some example creature tokens:
For crafting:
Code: [Select]
[CRAFT:<ITEM_TOKEN>:<ITEM_SUBTYPE>:<MATGLOSS_TOKEN>:<MATGLOSS_SUBTYPE>]
So
[CRAFT:PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_LOINCLOTH:LEATHER:NO_MATGLOSS]Would let him make loincloths from any leather.

For looting:
[LOOT:<ITEM_TOKEN>:<ITEM_SUBTYPE>:<MATGLOSS_TOKEN>:<MATGLOSS_SUBTYPE>]So
[LOOT:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HAMMER_WAR:NO_MATGLOSS:NONE]Would get him looting corpses for war hammers of any material possible. Or
[LOOT:WEAPON:NONE:NO_MATGLOSS:NONE]Would get him looting any weapons he can get his hands on.

Simply having these tokens would turn those behaviours on.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 05:41:11 pm »

(weapon attack)[GORE]
This tag was back in 40d. Whips did 'gore damage' causing bleeding and pain. Certainly other weapons could have this effect.

The reason this doesn't exist is because it would be, well, totally backward in terms of design. The reason we don't have a "gore" attack type is because we don't need one. How much an attack makes you bleed or hurt should depend on how much tissue it penetrates and how it does so. There's no reason to have a specific tag for this when we can already have weapons that penetrate skin-deep and hurt a lot. Obviously things like whips still need work to be simulated well, and the game could also have a notion of multiple hits per strike (see: cat o' nine tails), but there is absolutely no need for a kludge like this.

(weapon attack)[NO_TWIST]
This prevents the embedded weapon from being twisted when embedded inside the enemy. Whips for example could use this.

I consider this unnecessary as well. Whatever fix would exist to make whips/scourges/flails more realistic, it should take care of this automatically. Rather than a tag like this, it would make a lot more sense to just disallow twisting on any weapon with a flexible/slack portion to it, however that winds up being implemented in the future, especially since implementing that is necessary anyway to make those weapons work properly.

This isn't that bad; the notion of barbed penetrating weapons isn't a bad one. I'm wondering if it should be generalized more into a sense of what a weapon is shaped like in general, though.

[FIRE_RATE:x]
Used on ranged weapons. x is the rate of fire. This isn't to make a machine gun crossbow, but rather to make ranged weapons more realistic, the crossbow was always more powerful. But Bows were never obsolete because they could be reloaded faster.

This definitely makes sense, in my opinion.

[EXOTIC_SHIELD:bodypart]
Fits on ITEMS:SHIELD This shield will attach to the listed bodypart rather then an open hand.This will mean we can have bracers that can fit on your lower arm. It would be possible to have both of your lower arms holding bracers and they would essentially function like shields. In theory they could be anything, [EXOTIC_SHIELD:BRAIN] [EXOTIC_SHIELD:FINGER] would be within the ability of modders.

I don't know about this. If we were to do something like this, why not just consolidate the armor and shield systems into one? It's not as if having arm bracers is all that different from having, you know, armor on your arm.

[RANGED:skill:ammo:INFINITE]
Ranged ammo currently has [RANGED:skill:ammo] tags that link the weapon to a certain type of ammo like bolts. But if you wanted to make a sling that could use pebbles off the ground as ammuntion, it wouldn't be possible without first grinding down a boulder or forging metal ones. So the INFINITE tag will make the object never run out of ammo.

Why should a sling, or any other ammo-using weapon, ever get infinite ammunition? If the problem is that there isn't a good way to get ammo, then fix that instead.

[ENEMY_RACE:x:y:reason]
x = race y = % chance of happening. During world gen the entity will spontaneously declare war on the entity x based on the y percentage.The reason tag is for legends mode.

Backward and kludgy. We're already reaching the point where entities declare war on other entities for actual ethical reasons, so there's no reason to take several steps backward and make it totally arbitrary again. If one race likes to declare war on another race, there should be a reason for it.

[DRAGONFIRE:x]
This is so you can rename dragonfire to x. Purely an aesthetic purpose.

... Why not just nix the dragon fire attack altogether and make it part of the existing breath-weapon system? Hell, Toady's already going in that direction.

I'm not 100% sure how speed works, but as far as I know, movement speed is the same as attack speed, and a warhammer is as fast to attack with as a knife. A tag like this would cause a penalty to the one's "turn delay" whenever they use the weapon.  IT 000's [FIRE_RATE:x] could cause a different penalty whenever the weapon is fired, making melee attacks with a crossbow faster or slower than ranged attacks.

Why add an extra token for this instead of just calculating attack speed based on weapon shape, size, and weight, and the user's skill?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 11:22:41 pm »

Oh hello there! Glad to see some more constructive ideas!

Actually weapons already do this. It's called velocity and it's the last number in the weapon attack, usually around 1000.

Other then that I agree with all of Michael_Almeida's ideas.

I agree with Vattic's ideas as well. The STICK_CHANCE: tag would be great!

The reason this doesn't exist is because it would be, well, totally backward in terms of design. The reason we don't have a "gore" attack type is because we don't need one. How much an attack makes you bleed or hurt should depend on how much tissue it penetrates and how it does so. There's no reason to have a specific tag for this when we can already have weapons that penetrate skin-deep and hurt a lot. Obviously things like whips still need work to be simulated well, and the game could also have a notion of multiple hits per strike (see: cat o' nine tails), but there is absolutely no need for a kludge like this.

The problem is that dwarves are nigh immune to pain if it's only skin deep. Things like the whip stung and tore through the skin. They did not cut. Currently this is not simulated properly hence whips are known as 'lightsabers'. If whips were very weak, but had the GORE tag, it would still give them a use for instilling pain in foes.

I consider this unnecessary as well. Whatever fix would exist to make whips/scourges/flails more realistic, it should take care of this automatically. Rather than a tag like this, it would make a lot more sense to just disallow twisting on any weapon with a flexible/slack portion to it, however that winds up being implemented in the future, especially since implementing that is necessary anyway to make those weapons work properly.

So? It's arbitrary, how else are you supposed to fix it? Heck any fix would be 'arbitrary' itself as the same thing could be slapped on a sword or an axe.

I don't know about this. If we were to do something like this, why not just consolidate the armor and shield systems into one? It's not as if having arm bracers is all that different from having, you know, armor on your arm.

The same idea could be generalized to armor to. But armor is 'passive'. Dwarves will use shields to block attacks, but they will only use armor is more of a shell. If they get hit there the armor will try to block it.

Backward and kludgy. We're already reaching the point where entities declare war on other entities for actual ethical reasons, so there's no reason to take several steps backward and make it totally arbitrary again. If one race likes to declare war on another race, there should be a reason for it.

Currently they already declare war for ethical reasons. Furthermore, I don't see how it is backwards. Even in humans, some civilizations were inclined to raid just because they could. Some races should naturally be more warlike then others. Especially when you get into modding (which was the entire point of the suggestion mind you) currently even if you make every raw polar opposites there's still a disturbingly large chance that the two civs will be hunky dory with each other. Heck, if you took off the BABYSNATCHER tag from the gobbos they rarely go to war with dwarves. The entire point of this tag is so that some of the civs can have a 'backstory' for example if you're making a Fallout mod, you don't want the BoS and the Enclave to be drinking buddies. Nor do you want your xenophobic civilization to welcome a species with open arms.

I'm not sure if we're on the same page here G-Flex, the reason why I would like to see these tags is for modding. 'It's arbitrary' isn't a valid argument in this case. Arbitration isn't bad, on the contrary, it can be essential if the game cannot properly simulate something. An arbitrary tag is easier to code then rewriting the entire weapons system.

As far as 'needing' the tag goes, well we don't 'need' the caravan arc either. It's like saying 'I need food' so you eat bread three times a day for the rest of your life. It's a suggestion, and only Toady has a call on whether it should be added or not. Not whether it is needed.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 11:44:13 pm »

Actually weapons already do this. It's called velocity and it's the last number in the weapon attack, usually around 1000.

No, velocity is the speed of the strike, not the rate of attack.

I don't see why it's necessary at all. If the game is tracking how deep an attack goes, the materials of everything, and (ideally) the shape, then chance to get stuck can be determined very well from that data.

The problem is that dwarves are nigh immune to pain if it's only skin deep. Things like the whip stung and tore through the skin. They did not cut. Currently this is not simulated properly hence whips are known as 'lightsabers'. If whips were very weak, but had the GORE tag, it would still give them a use for instilling pain in foes.

If skin-deep wounds don't hurt dwarves enough, then that's the problem, and it's a fixable one. Whips being lightsabers has nothing to do with anything you're saying; that has to do with the shape and force of the weapon not being simulated properly.

So? It's arbitrary, how else are you supposed to fix it? Heck any fix would be 'arbitrary' itself as the same thing could be slapped on a sword or an axe.

My point is that other things need to be fixed regarding whips, and those fixes could solve the problem anyway, therefore it's counter-productive to add a tag specifically for that purpose when it could be derived from other factors anyway.

Currently they already declare war for ethical reasons. Furthermore, I don't see how it is backwards. Even in humans, some civilizations were inclined to raid just because they could.

Really now?

Some races should naturally be more warlike then others. Especially when you get into modding (which was the entire point of the suggestion mind you) currently even if you make every raw polar opposites there's still a disturbingly large chance that the two civs will be hunky dory with each other.

Sure, some races should be more prone to war than others. I don't think this should be accomplished by forcing two races/civs to be enemies. If they're supposed to be enemies, then the reasons for them being enemies should be simulated.

I'm not sure if we're on the same page here G-Flex, the reason why I would like to see these tags is for modding. 'It's arbitrary' isn't a valid argument in this case. Arbitration isn't bad, on the contrary, it can be essential if the game cannot properly simulate something. An arbitrary tag is easier to code then rewriting the entire weapons system.

The problem is that the things I commented on are things that can be properly simulated, making the tags unnecessary. Yes, it's easier to plug a "gore" tag into whips than it would be to fix whips, but it's still wasted effort since whips need to be fixed anyway.

As far as 'needing' the tag goes, well we don't 'need' the caravan arc either. It's like saying 'I need food' so you eat bread three times a day for the rest of your life. It's a suggestion, and only Toady has a call on whether it should be added or not. Not whether it is needed.

When I say something isn't "needed" I mean that its functionality could be replicated better by another means.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 12:15:35 am »

I don't see why it's necessary at all. If the game is tracking how deep an attack goes, the materials of everything, and (ideally) the shape, then chance to get stuck can be determined very well from that data.
I concede that a better simulation of the shape would solve this problem but my suggestion for including that token would simulate the shape in an abstracted way. It might be a failure of my imagination but I can't see how shape could be simulated in much more detail and especially not for weapons with many barbs.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 10:44:17 am »

loved the ideas but this one "[PREDATER:x]
"should not make the creature only hunt dorfs,itshould make them hunt other weak animals with the [PREY] tag.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 11:25:01 am »

This way we could create larger quivers that can carry more ammo, or mod the name to be 'clips' for guns.

Do you know anything about real guns? They're called mags not clips! only the Springfield and a couple other guns used clips, it's a totally different system.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 11:37:01 am »

loved the ideas but this one "[PREDATER:x]
"should not make the creature only hunt dorfs,itshould make them hunt other weak animals with the [PREY] tag.

G-Flex makes very good points here imo, and the same logic applies here:
you don't need extra tags, you already have [LARGE_PREDATOR] and [CARNIVORE]
Game can use already existing tokens and concepts:
Expanding concept of hunger upon carnivores would force them to seek prey (smaller creatures of flesh and bone) to eat, preferring the ones common in their biomes (and thus "regular diet").
What we might need here is tokens to specify the type of predatory behaviour (stalk, chase, ambush, pack hunting), although ideally behaviour should be concluded from other tokens as well.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 07:20:47 pm »

It also effects rate of attack if I recall correctly. Probably should just drop this one as neither of us have any data to back it up.

you don't need extra tags, you already have [LARGE_PREDATOR] and [CARNIVORE]

Neither of these make the creature attack. In fact, CARNIVORE just makes the creature only eat meat, and has nothing to do with it's predatory abilities. I'll confess though, this suggestion was made before grazing was implemented, so if Toady can make a way for predatory animals to hunt for food I would be open to the idea.

This way we could create larger quivers that can carry more ammo, or mod the name to be 'clips' for guns.

Do you know anything about real guns? They're called mags not clips! only the Springfield and a couple other guns used clips, it's a totally different system.

It varies from gun to gun and region to region. No different then soda and pop.

Sure, some races should be more prone to war than others. I don't think this should be accomplished by forcing two races/civs to be enemies. If they're supposed to be enemies, then the reasons for them being enemies should be simulated.

Again we're talking about mods here. How can you properly simulate something when it's designed solely for the vanilla application? Having two races fighting each other would greatly help modders, especially if they make  hostile races. Check out any mod, Genesis, Fortress Defense, Corrosion. They all add races that are designed to be 100% hostile. Toady cannot possibly predict every reason a race might go to war.

My point is that other things need to be fixed regarding whips, and those fixes could solve the problem anyway, therefore it's counter-productive to add a tag specifically for that purpose when it could be derived from other factors anyway.

If he can fix it without the tag, great, but in the mean time the GORE tag would allow modders to create more weapons with more interesting possibilities. And would fix the whips.

Again Toady will never be able to simulate everything the modders can think about. My tag is literally a customized ethic tag, and seems much easier to put in then adding every ethic that every modder requests.

Just asking, are you a modder G-Flex? And have you ever completed a large project?

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!
Pages: [1] 2