Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Mineral Occurrence Setting  (Read 43690 times)

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mineral Occurrence Setting
« on: March 06, 2011, 02:30:45 pm »

So, I'm gennin a .20 world and I'm thinking in the metal occurrence. I don't want them to be abundant as in .18, but not so much rare. I want trade to be important and to get goblinite to make weapons, but I also want a civ with access with iron or steel at least. A little more than in .19, maybe.

Anyone messed with Mineral Occurrence Setting that can give some tips?

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: Mineral Occurrence Setting
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 03:13:22 pm »

I'd say max would be about .18 levels, and minimum would be .19 or lower, but I couldn't really say since I only found out about the release three minutes ago.
くコ:彡

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 03:25:24 pm »

And I can't give some good results until dfhacks get updated, so I can use the dfprospector.

EDIT: With little digging and a custom genned world, with mineral set to 2500 and embarking on a 2x2 site with flux stone, shallow metals and deep metals, I found some good amount of tetrahedrite, with provides valuable copper and silver. Breached the first cavern and no signs of different metals.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:34:44 pm by arkhometha »

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 04:49:25 pm »

I just genned a world with the highest level of minerals, I will report back on my findings. 

edit:  from the site finder, the entire world has multiple shallow and deep metals at 100 scarcity. (most common)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 04:51:22 pm by daishi5 »

Serval

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 04:57:16 pm »

I will generate .18 and .19 worlds and run them in .20's site finder to see what their scarcity values are like.

Edit:
The only thing I could do to check scarcity was run the site finder with flux:yes shallow:multiple and deep:multiple set and then count the number of Green X's that flashed in .20's site finder(DFhack for .20 might be released in an hour or 2, so I'll try that when it's released)

World genned in .18: 6 Red X's
World genned in .19: 9 Green X's
World genned in .20 with scarcity at 2500: 42 Green X's(There are 256 squares, but ocean tiles don't get checked)
World genned in .20 with scarcity at 1250: 95 Green X's
World genned in .20 with scarcity at 625: 4-6 Red X's
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 06:45:26 pm by Serval »

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 05:21:41 pm »

Genned another world with the same settings. Embarked in a 3x3 with Shallow and deep metals, flux clay and soil. Only got chalk until now, no signal of any ore.

On another note, Dwarf Therapist is now working with .20.

EDIT:
Strangely enough, my civ has access to a lot of metals, they have pig iron and steel, but don't have iron.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 06:25:43 pm by arkhometha »

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 08:06:04 pm »

I just found some Jade in chalk layer at mineral occurrence 250.  I didn't change anything in my raws, so I don't know if the raws changed, or if this setting might have caused the jade to appear. 

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 08:10:14 pm »

Thanks for the answers!

The only mineral I found in the specifications of my fort above is gold, below a some good Z levels of chalk and with some diorite. Seems there is a good amount of it.

On another hand, dfhack is almost out and in the words of the author, there will be a new hack: "It's more like a really fragile process where you can F up and make everyone fight each other to the death or crash DF."
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:12:15 pm by arkhometha »

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 08:21:11 pm »

I just made a region with the material setting turned up one from the default position, and I have stuff everywhere it seems.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 08:37:45 pm »

dfhack 0.5.3 is out. dfprospector says I have 10k of gold, but that's all. Seems for me that 2500 of metal occurrence is almost the same setting as in .19, because in the embark screen said I had shallow and deep metals, and I only have one type of metal. Next time, i will use 3500. 1500. Apparently, the bigger the value, the fewer the mineral.

EDIT: Forget it, the tools are working fine, i think. I only have gold, saw through dfreveal.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 10:37:02 pm by arkhometha »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 08:47:10 pm »

It's never prospected whole layers, it only prospects cluster types.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 09:05:56 pm »

dfhack 0.5.3 is out. dfprospector says I have 10k of gold, but that's all. Seems for me that 2500 of metal occurrence is almost the same setting as in .19, because in the embark screen said I had shallow and deep metals, and I only have one type of metal. Next time, i will use 3500.

EDIT: Forget it, the tools are working fine, i think. I only have gold, saw through dfreveal.
Do you have a junk stone down there? My understanding is that the update did not fix the embark screen calling junk stone "metal".

On another note, I just looked at some worlds with DFreveal / prospector when genned at 100 mineral rarity and it looks basically like it did prior to .31.19; lots of varied minerals everywhere. Technicolor dreamcoat stone layers all over again. Welp, I know how I'll be genning my worlds til the caravan arc actually kicks off and gives us the ability to import metals.

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 09:07:44 pm »

Yep, junk stone in the bottom. Wasn't fixed.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 10:20:03 pm »

I just found some Jade in chalk layer at mineral occurrence 250.  I didn't change anything in my raws, so I don't know if the raws changed, or if this setting might have caused the jade to appear.
Actually, jade started showing up in 0.31.19, but it is a rather rare find.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 10:50:40 pm »

I have been messing around with this setting, and so far I am finding that a setting of 100 gives WAAAAAAY more variety of minerals than one found in .18, to the tune of a minimum of 3 vein types in every single layer, some layers even have 4 or 5.  I have also found that changing the setting and regenning with all the rest of the settings the same leaves the geology of the world the same, but the biomes are a little different, as is the evil and savageness.  For example, I generated a world with the setting at 0 (manually editied the file to go that low) in order to see if there is an appreciable difference from 100 (there is a minor increase in quantity and variation), but what really threw me was that the site I was checking was untamed wilds with a setting 0, and terrifying with 100.  A few further gens with only changing the minerals setting (with as minor a change as 1 a couple times just to see) gave me results of mithful savage and haunted as well.  This could be useful to know, if one had a site they like, but say wanted it to be haunted instead of mirthful, you can try changing the minerals setting in minor increments, regenning every time, until you get the biome you like.  I am going to do some further experimentation to see if there is any rhyme or reason to it.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9