Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.21 Released  (Read 59664 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.21 Released
« Reply #135 on: March 22, 2011, 08:01:19 am »

Heh. yep. If you want to play sociopath dwarf hole-in-the-ground, with only your starting dwarves, simply shut the door and let the immigrants starve outside.
It is the way of Armok.

(If they are not smart enough to take a hint -e.g. locked gate- they deserve to starve.)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 22, 2011, 08:54:35 am »

Or the extra migrants could be put to good use making cheese to go with the whine.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 22, 2011, 09:04:12 am »

Or the extra migrants could be put to good use making cheese to go with the whine.

Uncalled for.  The population cap is an intentional feature and it should be fixed, regardless of whether you think it's sufficiently hardcore or whatever.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 22, 2011, 09:31:44 am »

Well the first two waves are hard-coded to arrive, regardless of population cap. That doesn't seem like a bug to me, just an aspect of the game.
Are you sure?  I haven't played long enough to see for myself, but on the bug tracker there are complaints that the cap is not even honored in late-game.  One guy got a barony despite a cap of 30 -- I doubt you can hit that in just two waves.

And I'd maintain it is still a bug if special cases for the initial waves can defy the cap.

The reason I'm whining is that this bug has been known for so long.  Even 40d was sloppy, and DF2010 became much worse.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 22, 2011, 09:42:01 am »

Uncalled for.  The population cap is an intentional feature and it should be fixed, regardless of whether you think it's sufficiently hardcore or whatever.

It should be fixed, and this is why it has a entry in the bug tracker. We don't know DF's code so we can't know how easy to fix a specific bug is.

izraqthedark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 22, 2011, 09:54:07 am »

I'm confused with the whole population cap because I didn't start playing until 40d and I thought it wasn't too bad but what do I know.  I agree that 2010 is kinda bugged since sometimes I get two migrant waves in the same year and from what I gathered in 40d it was only once a year.  I learned quickly through much fun that engraving your dining hall is a bad idea.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 22, 2011, 10:01:47 am »

The population cap works, but the game will usually throw a couple of migrant waves at you that push you over the cap before they stop.

I play with a fifty-dwarf cap (and with maximum twenty children). I received migrants until I had 64 population. The last migrant wave consisted of two dwarves, and the one before of ~eight. From then on, even though I unloaded hundreds of thousands of dwarfbucks in lavish meals on the caravans, no migrants have arrived for the past two years. I receive the "no migrants made the journey" message regularly, about every two seasons or so.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2011, 10:05:42 am »

The population cap works, but the game will usually throw a couple of migrant waves at you that push you over the cap before they stop.

I play with a fifty-dwarf cap (and with maximum twenty children). I received migrants until I had 64 population. The last migrant wave consisted of two dwarves, and the one before of ~eight. From then on, even though I unloaded hundreds of thousands of dwarfbucks in lavish meals on the caravans, no migrants have arrived for the past two years. I receive the "no migrants made the journey" message regularly, about every two seasons or so.
That message actually means that they were ambushed on their way to your fort and died ;)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2011, 11:56:48 am »

TolyK, could you tone down your avatar a bit? It's epileptic seizure -inducing.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 22, 2011, 12:23:41 pm »

Is it just me or do the heat calculations for fire take a LOT more processing power these days?

I just had a single log catch fire and it brought my i5 to it's knees.

Ullallulloo

• Bay Watcher
  • My paperclip's name is Thomasalexandrenite.
    • View Profile
    • Ullallulloo's Blog
« Reply #145 on: March 22, 2011, 12:41:06 pm »

If only the Baron's Nobles would be fixed, I would be content now. (Although the little bit of OCD in me does want that Militia Captain bug fixed.)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2011, 02:16:51 pm »

+1 It is pretty annoying. Kinda cute at first, but annoying having something flashing erratically in one's peripheral vision all the time. Could lead to tantrums. :)

Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Mattasmack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2011, 04:08:07 pm »

+1 It is pretty annoying. Kinda cute at first, but annoying having something flashing erratically in one's peripheral vision all the time. Could lead to tantrums. :)

Fun trick I recently learned:  In Firefox, you can hit escape to make the animated images on the page stop animating.  I just checked Internet Explorer, and it works there too.  I don't know about other browsers.

Maninblack144

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2011, 04:53:23 pm »

Alternatively, if you have Firefox with the AdBlock Plus plugin, you can simply block that single image so it won't display again.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 22, 2011, 05:13:53 pm »

Fun trick I recently learned:  In Firefox, you can hit escape to make the animated images on the page stop animating.  I just checked Internet Explorer, and it works there too.  I don't know about other browsers.

O mighty Mattasmack, we implore you, enlighten us further with your received techgnosis.

I haven't been this pleased about learning a computer-related trick since I tried out the cheat code for Windows 95.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12