Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 56

Author Topic: Histories of Brilliance and Stupidity  (Read 52519 times)

jakeread1

• Bay Watcher
  • Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I got this.
    • View Profile
Re: Histories of Brilliance and Stupidity
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 06:47:04 pm »

Name: Nihilius Vekt
Nickname: Cogs
Race: Human
Profession: Technomancer
Appearance: Above average height, longish black hair, almost perpetually oil-stained.
Background: Brought up in a prosperous family, Nihilius has been obsessed with technology for most of his life. Seeing flesh as weak and pitiful compared to the gleeming metal of the machine, he began researching the possibilities of 'improving' his body. The end result of this work was a fusion of magic and modern technology: bionic limb replacements. This swiftly got him labelled as a social outcast and he was dis-inherited, forcing him into freelance engineering and occaisional mercenary work.
Skills:
-Abilities: Tinkerer: +1 to rolls to mess about with machinery. Prototype bionics: Both arms, one leg and an eye a have been replaced with magic-powered bionics. Cowardly: -1 to rolls against fear.
-Experience:  Pistols.
-Armour: Armoured longcoat
-Inventory: Backpack, hand cannon, goggles (it isn’t steampunk without goggles!), iron dagger, box o’ tinkerin’ bitz.   

LOL since when did we have pistols im pretty sure this is a DF inspired roll to so....yeah
New Character awaits a epic black vs hood black vs straight up black fight!
http://www.youtube.com/user/jakeread1 <----- that there is my youtube channel!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 06:50:11 pm »

LOL since when did we have pistols
Spoiler: Technologies Allowed (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

jakeread1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 06:53:04 pm »

Man i feel like a failure now....

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 06:55:23 pm »

Alright, I'm not really happy with a lot of the characters, so I'll give a bit of feedback so we can all make final adjustments until we start. Meanwhile, suggestions for the setting can start.

im in

Character Sheet:
Name: Ivan Fiddlebottom
Nick Name: Jake Read
Abilities:Welcome to The Gun Show (+2 to all attacks in which i use my Fists and hands etc.) [if it is to powerful tell me okay?]
To the left , to the right (+1 to all dodging rolls)
The White Bill Cosby (+ 1999999999 to all socialization rolls)
skills:My hands and legs [what is that skill called i forgot] and butchery
armor: adamantine gloves and cloth tunic and iron shoes!
inventory: 15 plump helms and 22 lead coins and a bronze dagger

tell me if this is to powerful.

At first, he seems like a berserker. However, that's pretty much all there is to say about him. His nickname bears no significance whatsoever, he has no backstory, and his profession makes no sense. Why would people buy bogeyman products? I just don't think this character is detailed enough.

Name: Bjorn Inmus
Nickname: Wizard
Profession: Wizard
-Skills
Abilities: Wizardry (Lightning,water,fire,earth,Steam)
Experience: Lightning
-Armor
Wizard robes
-Inventory
Staff of Wizardry
 M60(Magic-powered, only can be held by wizards)
This ok?

This is a bit ludicrous. While majicka is pretty awesome, a wizard with a machine gun just doesn't fit.
-Identity
Name: Taric Cogudib
Nickname: Madman
Race: Dwarf
Profession: Rifleman
Backstory: (Optional)
-Skills
Abilities: Rifleman: +1 to use rifles. Builder: +1 to building. Infantryman: +1 to initiative
Experience: Rifles, Axe bayonets.
-Armour
Padded Leather underneath a greatcoat.
-Inventory
Bolt-action rifle w/axe bayonet. 30 Silver coins. 8 Loaves of bread and 8 pieces of chicken

Character is okay. Nothing bad except for the ludicrous number of coins, but nothing too good either.

Name: Porin Keeperechoes
Nickname: N/A
Race: Cutebold Kobold
Profession: Dragon Slayer
Backstory: A tough little creature almost a quarter of a century old who's already amassed 200 kills to his name, half of which were giant monsters such as cyclops, ettins... and most notably a dragon. He can speak, unlike most of his brethren, and is fairly intelligent for his race.
-Skills
Abilities: Small (+1 to stealth). Agile (+1 to evasion-type rolls). Opportunistic (+1 to sneak attacks).
Experience: Sword & Shield combo
-Armor
Porin dresses in the tanned hides of his kills. His pants, boots, gloves, helmet, and cuirass are made of cyclops hide, and all are plated with dragon scales. Under the cuirass he just wears a plain brown tunic. He usually has his sword and shield attached to his back. His fur is black with large patches of orange and brown and his eyes glow yellow in the dark.
-Inventory
Iron Sword
Iron Shield
Rations for 10 days
12 Nickel coins

This is a very good character. I like it, it's not overpowered at all, while the stealth bonuses are extremely useful for teamwork. It's really the only character along with Tarran's that doesn't have too many actual flaws.

Name: Trol Lan
Nickname: N/A
Race: Troll
Profession: MMA Fighter
Backstory: Nobody knows where this troll came from, but he is supposedly the last of his kind.
Skills: Play dirty(+1 melee), BLOOD RAEG(when severely injured, goes berserk, dealing +1 damage) Meatshield (-1 damage taken)
Experience: Melee
Armor: light armor to soak some damage while still being agile.
Inventory: Spiked gloves, 2 silver pieces, Various foodstuffs, whiskey.

Wha...
I appreciate the effort, but a TROLL? I don't even... I'll just suggest writing a better backstory. Making it vague doesn't really work too well when your character is a martial arts master, since he's going to be fighting and not conversing most of the time.

Hey, you didn't tell me about this in your other thread!

Name: Tarran Terra.
Nickname: N/A, use real first name.
Race: Human.
Profession: Slayer of Evil.
Backstory: It is rumored that Tarran is the Avatar of the Earth itself. However, what is known about him is that he hunts demons, violent thugs, and various other monstrosities. He is widely known around the world. He is of unknown age, but appears to be around 20 or so, though some drunks tell stories of him being 159 years old. As if, right? Right? Uh... anyway, it is also rumored that he has an evil twin named Tarren, though those are just rumors. Yeah... rumors...
-Skills
Abilities: Swordmaster: +1 to sword attacks. Holy: +1 to using holy items, -1 to using unholy items. Divinelike: Cannot pray or be servants to gods, cannot be harmed or changed directly by gods, can engage in idle chatter with gods.
Experience: Legendary swordsman.
-Armor
Light steel full plate mail. Golden helm with image of an unknown god's holy icon.
-Inventory
Holy Steel Two-handed sword. Iron shortsword. Golden holy icon of an unknown god (same as on the helm). 6 days worth of rations. 1 very old Silver coin.

Tell me if it's overpowered in any way (I think the sword being holy might be? Or maybe the holy bonus?).

The character is definitely balanced, if a bit cliche, but that's fine. You can't really avoid it in a steampunk plot. But the issue here is that named gods aren't really part of the plot. This is just a warning that Divinelike might not make much of a difference. People still have their own religions, etc, but they are like DF. Currently they don't do much.
It's a great character idea though. I like it. Unlike... some ideas here.

Name: Nihilius Vekt
Nickname: Cogs
Profession: Technomancer
Appearance: Above average height, longish black hair, almost perpetually oil-stained.
Background: Brought up in a prosperous family, Nihilius has been obsessed with technology for most of his life. Seeing flesh as weak and pitiful compared to the gleeming metal of the machine, he began researching the possibilities of 'improving' his body. The end result of this work was a fusion of magic and modern technology: bionic limb replacements. This swiftly got him labelled as a social outcast and he was dis-inherited, forcing him into freelance engineering and occaisional mercenary work.
Skills:
-Abilities: Tinkerer: +1 to rolls to mess about with machinery. Prototype bionics: Both arms, one leg and an eye a have been replaced with magic-powered bionics. Cowardly: -1 to rolls against fear.
-Experience:  Pistols.
-Armour: Armoured longcoat
-Inventory: Backpack, hand cannon, goggles (it isn’t steampunk without goggles!), iron dagger, box o’ tinkerin’ bitz.

Great character! We really needed a science guy or else we would've probably been screwed. However, the only real concern I have about your character is magic... I'd rather not allow that. HEN's character works (--just barely) because he is a wizard. You could say that the limbs run on batteries or some kind of compact power generator (maybe mounted on his back?), for example. It doesn't have to be magic. How did he gain access to magic, anyway.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 07:01:59 pm »

Yeah.....I'l change him into an alchemist. But how am I going to defend myself, Magic?
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

jakeread1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 07:03:31 pm »

how bout now. i changed the nickname and added a back story

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 07:06:46 pm »

The character is definitely balanced,
...W... really? +2 (or +3 if Legendary Swordsman gives me another +1 bonus) to melee with my sword is balanced? Well, if you say so.

if a bit cliche, but that's fine.
Ehh, it's just a sort of fetish (or something like that) I have with baddass sword wielding good guys of doom and destruction. :P

But I understand what you mean. I can't really think of much else, unless you prefer me being Paladin (I almost chose that just because I was thinking of making a pun, but decided not to).

But the issue here is that named gods aren't really part of the plot. This is just a warning that Divinelike might not make much of a difference. People still have their own religions, etc, but they are like DF. Currently they don't do much.
I'm not picking it because of the plot, but because it seems like it relates to my character. However, if you say they won't do much, then I'll change the ability to:

Divine Intimidation: +1 to intimidating enemies.

Sound good?
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 07:08:46 pm »

Thanks, glad for the positive review. :D If you want me to change anything for balance or plot reasons, let me know.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 07:10:36 pm »

Only problem with mine was that he was too rich. Ah well, atleast the actual character came out well.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 07:44:39 pm »

how bout now. i changed the nickname and added a back story

The issue wasn't because of that. The main problem is that the most important thing your character will do is beat everything to a pulp with his fists while everyone else has blades and guns.

Or in the case of Taric, both at the same time.

...W... really? +2 (or +3 if Legendary Swordsman gives me another +1 bonus) to melee with my sword is balanced? Well, if you say so.

Opps. Heh, I forgot about the bonus because it's Holy. A +2 would be acceptable if you are legendary. Which also means that you won't have too many other skills. A +3 however guarantees success, which is a bit much. Is it okay if I remove swordsman and just make legendary swordsman give a +2 while making either Holy not stack or make the legendary bonus not stack?
I'm not picking it because of the plot, but because it seems like it relates to my character. However, if you say they won't do much, then I'll change the ability to:

Divine Intimidation: +1 to intimidating enemies.

Sound good?

If you want to, sure. I'll leave the name as it is since it fits. (unless you object)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:02:53 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Trollan

• Bay Watcher
  • O hai!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 07:53:54 pm »

meh, not the best at telling stories. nevermind, i'm out

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 08:16:10 pm »

Opps. Heh, I forgot about the bonus because it's Holy. A +2 would be acceptable if you are legendary. Which also means that you won't have too many other skills. A +3 however guarantees success, which is a bit much. Is it okay if I remove swordsman and just make legendary swordsman give a +2 while making either Holy not stack or make the legendary bonus not stack?
I'd prefer Swordmaster removed, Legendary Swordsman give +1, and Holy give +1 to holy items (and still give -1 to unholy items) with them both stacking. Doesn't give me overwhelming power with any swords, and the bonus will max out at +2 either way. As for the new attribute, I'll take:

Weapon breaker: If enemies roll a 1 and I roll a 5 or higher in melee, their weapon will break apart but they will not get attacked by me the same turn.

Is it fine? Sounds kinda balanced to me.

Also:
If you want to, sure. I'll leave the name as it is since it fits. (unless you object)
It's fine.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:18:29 pm by Tarran »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 08:24:28 pm »

Done :)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2011, 09:48:20 pm »

Name: Zrk2
Nick Name: -
Bio: After years of working for the various trader cities Zrk2 has decided to go adventuring. Has many mysterious connections, and while an average fighter, he is an excellent strategist.
Abilities: Playing dirty (+1 when on ground, or attacking from behind)
Special connections (+1 when talking to strangers)
Skills: -Decent hammerman
-Excellent strategist
-Wealthy (Fits here, as I can pay people off...)
armor: -Steel partial plate over chainmail and leather
weapon: -Steel warhammer (Not over sized like usually imagined, but actually with a small head, so it can easily penetrate armour (+1 attack?)
inventory:
-The Art of War
-Lots of monies

I'm thinking something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Found another picture...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:54:17 pm by Zrk2 »
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

jakeread1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2011, 10:03:28 pm »

ummm okay what do you want me to change though...I DONT UNDASTAND ):
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 56