Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seeds problem  (Read 8035 times)

Lesseps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seeds problem
« on: March 08, 2011, 05:45:51 am »

well I made food stockpile where I forbid everything except of seeds. Dwarves put two barrels there, one is still empty and a lot of seeds thrown aroun all the map (empty seed stockpile places taken by single seed each) and inside the Still, everywhere. They just dont bring new barrel there, and dont fill empty one there. What's wrong ?

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seeds problem
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 05:50:35 am »

you cared there is no ohter stockpile for seeds .. that seeds arent forbidden and or that you accepted all seeds (would doublecheck that)

maybe your workers are busy hauling much other stuff

Lesseps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:56:27 am »

yes, that's the only one seed stockpile, other food sontains no seeds, forbidden there. and seeds are not forbidden, they just lay around. If I make another pile for seeds, they quick fill each place with single seed. A lot of empty barrels in sockpile, few of them reserved...

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 06:03:43 am »

kill the old stockpile and designate a new one try again .. maybe its something with burrows you activted or the location is screwy for them in any way

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 06:06:06 am »

If memory serves, you need bags to store seeds in barrels.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 06:07:41 am »

My first thoughts were hauling queueueues.  Check the job list to see if any of the "to food stockpile" jobs mention seeds and are as yet unassigned.  If there aren't any, and you don't have a set of other unassigned haulings, then are you surer you have Food Hauling enabled on dwarves who aren't busy on other tasks?  If you have (moreover, other foodstuffs are being freely hauled) then the other things as schussel mentioned, indeed.

If you're really stuck, it might be worth designating all the stray seeds as Dumpable, see if they get Refuse Hauled to your garbage site.  If they do move, then there's no access problems (and you have enough Refuse Haulers, obviously).  Then unForbid them and see if they get transferred into theseed stockpile.  Which they might not, if there's some other issue at play, but at least that batch of seeds isn't littering the halls any more, right?

(Extremely unlikely possibility: They've been reserved for planting, by farmers who are slovenly in doing so.  Similar to how stones designated for constructions won't be picked up and stored in the appropriate stockpile (even though it might save time to move them there while the mason gets her act together)... But I don't think it'll be this unless you have an awful lot of fields and counting each and every "next seed" for each field as a job adds up to all those littering your site.  I know it won't be quite the same as masonry building assignments, but I'm dredging my imagination for a reason here. :) )

Ummm, just seen:
yes, that's the only one seed stockpile, other food sontains no seeds, forbidden there. and seeds are not forbidden, they just lay around. If I make another pile for seeds, they quick fill each place with single seed. A lot of empty barrels in sockpile, few of them reserved...
(Barrels in the sock pile? :) Sorry, too good to resist!)

If the other seed pile takes seeds, albeit singly, is there a pathing/burrowing issue at hand?  Seeds can be (and are being) taken to the other, but no the first.  Barrels (which I think only take bags of seeds, anyway, do you have spare bags?) may not be able to get to the second.  If I'm reading that right.

Lesseps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 06:20:35 am »

I dont have spare bags. Is that a problem I'm looking for?

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 06:36:38 am »

not true, seeds are stored in barrels too and to that plain on the ground

another idea . you didnt make it a multi stockpile by chance adding furniture/barrels to the seed pile?  would check that  :) else refer to my first or starvers post

above for troubleshooting .. most likely its pathing issue .. check if a locked door workshop or bad ramp blocking the way to the stockpile then check burrow designations (w and in the m-ilitary alert menu)

otherwise give a screenshot of the area we may fiddle it out :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:02:34 am by schussel »

Lesseps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 06:56:36 am »

I bought few bags from human caravan and they sorted all my seeds right away. So the problem is really in bags I think.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 08:26:42 am »

not true, seeds are stored in barrels too and to that plain on the ground

No, they really do need bags.  Seeds are stored in bags, and seed bags are stored in barrels.  Without bags, what you're going to get is one seed per tile of stockpile, which is quite inefficient.

Then as soon as a bag is available, the first dwarf to come up with the idea is going to grab a non-stockpiled seed and put it in the bag.  Even if the bag is inside the clothier's shop where it was just made.  Then later, some dwarf may come along and shove the seed bag into a barrel.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz