Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maps.. noticeablly more.. shallow?  (Read 2084 times)

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Maps.. noticeablly more.. shallow?
« on: March 07, 2011, 04:45:07 pm »

Okay, in .17 and .18 I was able to get maps almost 60 Z-levels deep, now in .21 the shallowest map I have gotten had the magma sea 9 layers down, and the overall depth was 13 z-levels.
I havent made any changes in the RAWS or the "Design your own world"

Why would I be getting such shallow maps?

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
Re: Maps.. noticeablly more.. shallow?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 04:54:23 pm »

Do you take a look at the elevation map before embarking? I loathe embarking on high elevation maps because those mean dozens of z levels to magma.

If not then copy your genned world, abandon fort and embark again on a high elevation embark and report back.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 07:12:27 pm »

...I don't understand how that's even possible.  My current fort is situated at 152.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:32:53 pm »

I've found that embarking near oceans or mountains results in deep maps, while embarking on flatlands causes shallower ones.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 05:46:30 am »

13 z-levels is definitely not normal. I've generated an island map in 31.21, embarked on flatland, and got the expected 100+ z-levels. I have noticed that region maps are generally shallower with 40-60 z-levels, but 13? Do you still have the save for that world? Might be worth it to file a bug report for that.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 07:35:24 am »

Had a map with 23 z-levels (only 2 cavern layers), but 13 realy is extremely few. I though each cavern layers took up a minimum of 5 levels? Did you turn some stuff off there?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 12:10:40 pm »

Okay, in .17 and .18 I was able to get maps almost 60 Z-levels deep, now in .21 the shallowest map I have gotten had the magma sea 9 layers down, and the overall depth was 13 z-levels.
I havent made any changes in the RAWS or the "Design your own world"

Why would I be getting such shallow maps?
For the higher FPS! To praise Armok more times per second.
Finis sanctificat media.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 02:30:05 pm »

Not really shallow in an objective sense; my grassland is a reasonable 40 z-levels deep...

...but the caverns start on -5 immediately after the first stone layer.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 02:34:30 pm »

Cross-post from another thread:

You can also adjust the space between the caverns and the space before the first cavern in the world gen options - I just set it so there's a ton of space before the first cavern and also a decent gap between them. Then I have plenty of room for my main fort up above and mid-cavern staging areas if I feel I need them (emergency magma tanks, secondary storage areas etc)

EDIT: Aha, found them. These are the defaults:

Code: [Select]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 02:39:34 pm »

I have made several worlds since the new version was released, in search of The Perfect Place, and my average depth has been "magma sea 45-50 z-levels down from lowest point of the surface".

If you feel levels are too shallow, you can add extra layers between the pre-defined layers (=caverns, magma sea) by editing world gen. parameters.
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 05:24:58 pm »

In my case, maybe it's because erosion was a lot more aggressive in my embark?
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 02:50:52 pm »

You can adjust the settings to make a map as deep or as shallow as you want.

For most of my maps I end up having to make magma chutes some 80 Z levels, so I can toss magma down from the main level of the fortress into the magma ocean for incineration.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 04:26:23 pm »

You know, I have been using Overseer to look around in my maps while playing Adventure Mode, and I've noticed that most of the human towns (which are almost exclusively on flat land) are very VERY close to the caverns.  Sometimes 3zs down.  I don't know if Overseer is showing me accurately tho, and I can't use reveal in adventure mode since you can't look down or up a layer.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 04:41:43 pm »

You know, I have been using Overseer to look around in my maps while playing Adventure Mode, and I've noticed that most of the human towns (which are almost exclusively on flat land) are very VERY close to the caverns.  Sometimes 3zs down.  I don't know if Overseer is showing me accurately tho, and I can't use reveal in adventure mode since you can't look down or up a layer.
Wow, can't wait for adventure mode digging and stairs. Adventure mode will be a proper roguelike yet!
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing