Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Aquifers: A Guide on How to Dig Through an Aquifer of Indefinite Levels  (Read 125592 times)

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The trick is subtle.  Dig Opposite, wall.  Dig side, wall.  Dig under, wall.  But for the third section, do not dig under or you flood.

I'm not quite sure where you're referring to when you say "opposite, side, and under".  Can you be more specific ?

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure.  The pump on the layer above is 2 tiles long.  One of those tiles is the input.  The wall beneath that is under.  The wall across the channel is the opposite wall, and the walls on the side are ... obvious, I hope.

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing Since 2006, One Fortress At A Time
    • View Profile

The trick is subtle.  Dig Opposite, wall.  Dig side, wall.  Dig under, wall.  But for the third section, do not dig under or you flood.

Hrmmm... yeah I wouldn't be able to explain it much better than this but if you do get to understand it, it's a fantastic trick for plowing through aquies.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seriously? Has no one yet made a "double-slit experiment" joke? Especially when the author of the method is QuantumMenace?

This is a serious discussion of Dwarven !SCIENCE!.  I'm sure no one wanted to make waves.  Or particles, as the case may be.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seriously? Has no one yet made a "double-slit experiment" joke? Especially when the author of the method is QuantumMenace?

This is a serious discussion of Dwarven !SCIENCE!.  I'm sure no one wanted to make waves.  Or particles, as the case may be.

JMZ

OHHH!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAHHH AHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!!

I get it now! I mean, I saw this last week and didn't get it. Then I was staring at my window light-slats today and the revelation finally came to me!!!! ZOMG!!!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHAAAAA HAAA!!! Haaah...

EDIT: Oh, sry for necro btw.

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Layer Soil Aquifer, Ideas?
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2011, 06:23:06 am »

Don't remove all the internal walls until you have stair access or dwarves might get stuck there, unable to use the ramps. Dig down stairs to reveal the layer below, then build up/down stairs on top of them for access. Building the stairs will remove any 1/1 water on the tile, and render the layer below dry if it is not an aquifer.

I'm trying to get a clear picture of this last step here.  It says not to remove all the internal walls until you have stair access, but in the third picture all 4 internal walls (3 wood and 1 stone) have been carved into downward stairs?  Is this correct?  And in the final picture, were the ramps removed?  I guess I'm not quite understanding what he means.

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The key here is that the ramps won't work if there isn't a wall adjacent to the ramp with open space above the wall.  So, what you do is this:  dig out your last aquifer square as the secon image shows (haven't tried just designating it as an up/down staircase, that may or may not work), then dig a down stairs, then build an up/down staircase, all before knocking down the inner constructed walls. 

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The key here is that the ramps won't work if there isn't a wall adjacent to the ramp with open space above the wall.  So, what you do is this:  dig out your last aquifer square as the secon image shows (haven't tried just designating it as an up/down staircase, that may or may not work), then dig a down stairs, then build an up/down staircase, all before knocking down the inner constructed walls.

Digging it as an up/down stair would block the floor-room required for the platform to tunnel through the next layer. Unless the next layer is non-aquifer. In that case, go ahead. :D

AllThingsLive

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn, I'm a sexy bitch!
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifers: A Guide on How to Dig Through an Aquifer of Indefinite Levels
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2011, 05:37:06 pm »

I know this topic is quite old, but I'm wondering how you could use that method to create a 3x3 stairway. Anyone have any ideas?
If you haven't already, you MUST listen to the Joe Rogan Experience : http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joe-rogan-experience/id360084272

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2011, 04:44:57 pm »

I think if you expand Lemurson's pump tower by putting some more pumps, axles, and what-not in the expanded shaft size (6x6 vs 4x4 for a 3x3 staircase) you can drill that size staircase...

You would need alot of mechanical power for that many pumps though.
I don't think Quantum's method can be adjusted for 3x3 stairs, either.

So... if the expanded pump tower doesn't work then I'm at a loss. :|

Expand this with more pumps?:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 04:49:08 pm by ThirdSpartacus »

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2011, 03:54:24 am »

I know this topic is quite old, but I'm wondering how you could use that method to create a 3x3 stairway. Anyone have any ideas?

If you want a 3x3 stairway, the best way to do it is to initially punch any sized stairway through (1x2 is fine), then dig a drainage shaft, preferably to the caverns, but the map edge can work (but I strongly recommend caverns!). Now starting from below the aquifer, punch the 3x3 shaft up through the aquifer, and once it's all the way through, work from the top down and seal it with walls. Done right (dig out all the aquifer walls with downstairs, or channel them out, so the water falls straight through, and build the constructed walls on the downstairs/empty space) there will be no job suspensions at all, that is the benefit of this method.
Once I figured out this method, I started putting enormous skylights through 8-z level aquifers just for fun.

In fact the sheer power of drainage-based methods, means I usually don't use QM's method fully... I'm lazy and just put a 1x2 or 1x1 staircase down one of the slits, it's a lot less work, and if I want a bigger staircase, I just set up drainage and finish the job.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 03:57:18 am by Nan »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2011, 07:20:51 am »

It's also technically possible to then cut a shaft back up in another spot.

AllThingsLive

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn, I'm a sexy bitch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2011, 12:24:53 pm »

If you want a 3x3 stairway, the best way to do it is to initially punch any sized stairway through (1x2 is fine), then dig a drainage shaft, preferably to the caverns, but the map edge can work (but I strongly recommend caverns!). Now starting from below the aquifer, punch the 3x3 shaft up through the aquifer, and once it's all the way through, work from the top down and seal it with walls. Done right (dig out all the aquifer walls with downstairs, or channel them out, so the water falls straight through, and build the constructed walls on the downstairs/empty space) there will be no job suspensions at all, that is the benefit of this method.
Once I figured out this method, I started putting enormous skylights through 8-z level aquifers just for fun.

In fact the sheer power of drainage-based methods, means I usually don't use QM's method fully... I'm lazy and just put a 1x2 or 1x1 staircase down one of the slits, it's a lot less work, and if I want a bigger staircase, I just set up drainage and finish the job.
That's what I'm talking about! Thanks for this, this looks like it'll work very nicely :D
If you haven't already, you MUST listen to the Joe Rogan Experience : http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-joe-rogan-experience/id360084272

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2012, 08:18:21 pm »

2x4 double-slit method

Edit 3: A faster way to get to the bottom aquifer level

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can you please explain this method in more detail with regards to the intermediate steps? I have spent nearly 5 hour trying to drill through the aquifers building either walls or doors (as suggested) and never made it because of some errors I made. At least now I know how to construct a wheel and power a pump with it. Then I saw this Edit 3, a faster method which uses draining the higher level aquifers to the lower level ones. I really can't follow as I read it.

Can you add a vertical scheme of the levels? The color coding does not tell me much as it is since I don't know which color is aquifer and which is not. Also, the transition between the speedy method and the normal one is something I'd like to have explained.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2012, 07:17:05 am »

I'm on m phone, or I would be more detailed, but I will try to help.

If you take a grid of tiles, 4x6 like so:

abcdef
ghijkl
mnopqr
stuvwx

It is assumed that tiles hknq are mined out, probably from channelling on the z-layer above.

Mine and wall tiles prvwx.  Switch the pump, mine and wall mstu. Do not mine o.  On your pump level, remove the pump, build up/down stairs where the pump was, remove the other set of stairs, put the pump there.  Mine and wall gabci, switch pump, mine and wall defl.  Once all that is mined and walled, then mine out j and o, put up/down stairs at j and o, then remove walls at i and p.  put stairs, ta-da.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7