Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Aquifers: A Guide on How to Dig Through an Aquifer of Indefinite Levels  (Read 125546 times)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
Re: Aquifers: A Guide on How to Dig Through an Aquifer of Indefinite Levels
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2012, 08:16:58 am »

thanks, as far as i understand it this is the original slow method of double slit. then he wrote that there is a faster way how to drill through all but the lowest aquifer layers. And that's where i don't understand how to proceed.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2012, 08:27:40 am »

This is the fastest way I know, and applies to all layers of the aquifer.  It's pretty efficient.  And you don't need to use wheels to run the pump, just start it manually and assign a dwarf the pump operator labor (not your mason or miner). 

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2012, 02:35:00 pm »

I don't have any dwarves suitable for testing this, but can dwarves who are currently swimming do various tasks, like constructing things or smoothing walls?

If so, just dig a hole big enough for a pump stack to fit in, and put swimmers in, smooth/construct everything, drain the layer of water with the pump stack (that progressively gets built downward).

?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2012, 05:30:36 pm »

This is how I do a single layer.I use a 2x2 hole for single layer. I use a 4x4 hole for double layer. I havent encountered an aquifer more than 2 layers yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IGy_Lbablk

CatkinsFTW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I recently started playing Dwarf Fortress (34.07) and after disabling aquifers I decided to learn how to them. I generated a few worlds with deep 7-10 layer aquifers.  I created a bunch of new (to me anyway) aquifer breaching methods all of which work in a finite area and with arbitrarily deep aquifers.  Since the version just changed and I'm discarding these forts, I'd like to present 3 of these methods here: my preferred method which is slightly more compact that the double slit method (and has only 2 or 3 squares that suspend), a method that uses only 1 pump (no walls) for that insanely minimalist embark and a method that uses only walls (no pump) for stone age pre screwpump dwarfs.  The second two methods are not efficient, but they were fun.

First, I'd like to thank Tarn and Zach Adams for Dwarf Fortress, DwarfEngineer for maintaining Dwarf Therapist and QuantumMenace for the double slit method.

My Preferred Method

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Only a Pump Method

No Pump Method

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Has anyone tried the fast method described here with 34.10 ? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79224.msg2060636#msg2060636

I have 2 levels of UD stairs in the slits as explained but both levels are filled with water (even though the 2 levels seem to be aquifers (damp stone all over) preventing walling one the upper one

edit : my  bad, it was actually not an aquifer
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:22:00 pm by Finndibaenn »

saintjebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd just like to thank all of the contributors to this thread. Using the information here, I just successfully breached my first aquifer (using Quantum's original 2-slit method). Thanks a bunch.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel

I would like to thank Slythe for explaining me Quantum's method and guiding me while writing it up as a newbie-friendly tutorial in the wiki.

Please test it whether it is easily understandable.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:43:50 pm by Nagidal »
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've posted a How-To video on youtube showing how to quickly pierce a multi-layer aquifer using a refined twin-slit method inspired by QM's improved twin-slit method (the one in the spoiler tag). It's heavily optimized for speed and simplicity and IMHO much superior, in this video it takes only 5 minutes to punch through the 2 layer aquifer, and then another 5 minutes to establish a cavern drain and tidy up the staircase through the aquifer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXQH9dliFZE

Maybe it'll be useful to someone(s) who can't pluck up the courage to tackle an aquifer :).
Spoiler: description (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 07:34:44 am by Panando »
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would like to thank Slythe for explaining me Quantum's method and guiding me while writing it up as a newbie-friendly tutorial in the wiki.

Please test it whether it is easily understandable.

I can't follow it at all I'm afraid.  eg. step 2 all the pictures seem to bear no relation to the text.
"Designate these two tiles" which two?
"build the wall on the south" build a wall where?  there's no wall in the picture.
"then the north" picture is completerly different to the last one making the lack of a wall even more confusing
"build these two walls".  picture identical to picture from 3.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a different wiki-translation of the two-slit method on the Aquifer page, but someone removed it and added this new page.  I haven't completely looked over the new page to see whether it conveys the same information, but from my quick glance at it, I can see that it deviates (slightly) from QM's original design in a couple spots.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php?title=DF2012:Aquifer&oldid=172023

(I'm not sure why someone felt a complete rewrite was required. :( )
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel

I apologize for any inconvenience. You must have been reading the wiki page while I was working it all over. Unfortunately I did not notice that I'm accidentally replacing the images in that page.

You shall not have any further troubles. The tutorial is now very easy to follow and has the right pictures in it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 06:19:24 am by Nagidal »

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That looks much better. Thank you.

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2012, 08:07:18 pm »

Beautiful job on the write-up. Just a few clarifications, though:

The reason I say to use one-step to examine the layer below is to attempt to catch it during a tick where the pump has removed the water puddle on the tile above, so that the layer below won't be labeled "damp" if it isn't an aquifer. This isn't really necessary if you can just check the wiki to see if the layer material can't support an aquifer, unless it's possible for an aquifer-compatible layer below an aquifer to be dry.

The link says "QuantumMenace improved Hans Lemurson's pump method." I don't think mine was really based off his, which pumps the water out of the shaft entirely.

In any case, nice work. Panando's variation does indeed look a lot faster, but my original version was designed for people who are really picky about symmetry, so to each his own :)

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2012, 08:25:09 pm »

I'm having a problem actually performing this setup.  Once the second layer of stairs are built, the top aquifer layer is supposed to be draining to the lower layer.  However, that never happens.  To build the walls I need to actively pump continuously, and there are simply too many cancellations to proceed.

As usual when following instructions like these, i'm missing something.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7