Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Aquifers: A Guide on How to Dig Through an Aquifer of Indefinite Levels  (Read 125291 times)

QuantumMenace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifers: A Guide on How to Dig Through an Aquifer of Indefinite Levels
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2012, 02:45:41 pm »

You're certain the layer below the one you're walling off is an aquifer level? You dug the stairs down into the soil of the second aquifer layer, right?

Not sure what else would cause a problem unless you're using a pretty extreme mod.

McClaude

• Bay Watcher
  • South is hotter... always. I hate sweat.
    • View Profile
    • Google+
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2012, 02:26:52 pm »

My first multi layer aquifer completed!

AFTER 13 TRIES

Only 2 levels of Aquifer were enogth to kick me en the butt 13 times. But I have conquered them! I will never fear ANYTHING!

OH! GOD! A COLOSSUS SIEGE! (i just finished my aquifer!!!!) NOOO!!!!

*- so much FUN!
☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress
LET`S CONTRIBUTE ON THE WIKI!
http://masterworkdf.wikispaces.com/

flatlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2012, 02:04:29 pm »

Well I haven't checked to see if this is linked here but here is my water-reactor based solution for piercing an aquifer from two years ago... might help someone :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:18:43 pm by flatlander »
Check out my webcomic at epicgotime.com

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2012, 05:29:01 am »

Well I haven't checked to see if this is linked here but here is my water-reactor based solution for piercing an aquifer from two years ago... might help someone :)
Hmm...looks a little less elaborate than my first idea, but it requires further study before I can properly understand the principles involved.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

flatlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2012, 10:33:59 pm »

Dwarven Aquifer Math in post #84
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 11:25:36 am by flatlander »

flatlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2012, 08:10:11 pm »

I just cut through three levels of aquifer sandstone with no problems using the pump method. While I was at it I checked to see if suspending an aquifer ceiling/floor tile added water. It does not.

I also corrected some of the math in the previous post.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2012, 03:01:32 pm »

I breached my first aquifer. Very satisfying. (It took me the whole spring to get past two z-levels aquifer though.)

In another site I tried to breach with a cave in of natural clay into the sand layer. but the clay miraculously changed into sand upon falling down. This is a bug, isn't it?

LionsLinden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2012, 08:59:37 am »

I am so bold to reactivate this thread because I find myself in some need regarding aquifers. First time I really intend to breach one (been playing for 2 years now but never challenged myself with an aquifer). I got a multilevel aquifer on this map that is at least 3 z-levels deep. The two-slit method works fine, I already tried it, but I'd like to dig an at least 3x3 staircase down so I might built ramps down later for caravans, because this is an evil biome and I don't want to risk the caravan sitting near the exit. So is there any way to do this method in a 3x3 room?

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2012, 10:57:41 am »

I am so bold to reactivate this thread because I find myself in some need regarding aquifers. First time I really intend to breach one (been playing for 2 years now but never challenged myself with an aquifer). I got a multilevel aquifer on this map that is at least 3 z-levels deep. The two-slit method works fine, I already tried it, but I'd like to dig an at least 3x3 staircase down so I might built ramps down later for caravans, because this is an evil biome and I don't want to risk the caravan sitting near the exit. So is there any way to do this method in a 3x3 room?

I haven't tried it, but I think that once you've pierces an aquifier it is much easier to expand it by digging from below and draining it to the caverns or the map edge. You don't have to do the whole pumping business. I think if you dig a 5x5 stairway up (with a 5x5 channel down all the way to the caverns) and then replace the outer stairs by walls from top to bottom it should work? If you want to have a ramp access down you'll need more space though, probably 3x3+n where n is the number of  aquifier levels?

flatlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2012, 11:23:41 am »

I'm updating the aquifer math to fix an error that I had made... and the reason I was having problems with red sand.  :-[

Code: [Select]
Dwarven aquifer math (DAM). When the numbers get higher than 6 dwarfs start swirling and makes the terrain too deep to handle. Even low numbers push dwarfs around and cancel jobs.

### <---- "#" is soil.
#^# <---- "^" is an up ramp. Here you have four aquifer tiles pushing water into a pump intake. The pump has no problems handling the water.
###       DAM = 4

####
#^_# <---- "_" is a mined spot. Cutting away one piece of soil takes away one aquifer wall but adds 3.
####       DAM = 6

####
#^_# Here you have DAM = 8 (this would take a while to seal).
#_##
####

Back up a step.

####
#^W# <---- "W" is a wall. Placing a wall takes away three walls.
####       DAM = 3
####

#####
##W##
#W^## <---- Here you have DAM = 1. Easy to move on that tile. If the next layer is aquifer layer then instead of going back to DAM 4 I use grates to stabilize the area since I'm passing
##W##       power to the next pump below it makes sense to put the grate where the power would go to the next pump.
#####

#####
##W##
#W^G# <---- "G" is a grate. The grate is absorbing DAM = 3. But it can be overwhelmed. If you cut all the walls around it you would add
##W##       DAM+7. So instead it is better to cut one wall (DAM+2 on the sides, DAM +3 to the right of the grate).
#####

#######
##W####
#W^G_v# <---- "v" is a dump channel. Here I must admit I just came back to the game and started playing with this again. DAM = 4?5? I've had mixed
##W####       results. Two times in piercing loam, and stone (recently), there was no issue with this (just toss a grate over the channel and start
#######       cutting and replacing aquifer walls. I just went to test this in red sand and I was getting 5-7 water level on top of my dump
      channel.

The error that I had made was that I forgot to check to make sure whether the next layer down was an aquifer layer or not. If not then you need to seal the bottom and cut a shaft down to the caverns as a drain as indicated by Panando.

flatlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2012, 01:18:33 pm »

If you use the reverse aquifer pump stack method that I posted here, once everything is sealed up, and the cavern drain is installed, you can deconstruct the pumps and fit a 3x3 staircase or ramps in the hole. Though technically you could also expand the hole you open up to four sides and that should give you a 5x5 shaft. I haven't tested it though.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 01:20:37 pm by flatlander »

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2013, 01:44:32 am »

I attempted this method but it didn't work.  I got the first aquifer level draining into the second, and got the first one walled off.  However, repeating the method on the next level down didn't work... level 2 didn't drain into level 3.  I have at least a 4-level aquifer.  Has something about the game changed since this method was posted, or is the problem located in "the nut behind the wheel"?

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Layer Soil Aquifer, Ideas?
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2013, 11:01:24 am »

Here's something I concocted that's compact and only requires one dwarf-powered pump. It drains the aquifer back into itself, and doesn't get it all over the surface:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit 4: Check out Panando's accelerated version on page 5.[/spoiler]

By the way of clarification, this (above) two-slit method is the one that I am having trouble with.  Not the OP.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Layer Soil Aquifer, Ideas?
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2013, 07:31:42 pm »

The method described by the original post, on the other hand, worked beautifully (as long as you follow his instructions about what order to build the walls in.  Took me a year and a half but I'm happy to have penetrated my first multi-level aquifer!  Dwarf Fortress is the best lego game ever!

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2013, 08:08:35 am »

Yay! Just breached my first 2-level aquifier using the double slit guide from the wiki. Thanks people!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7